If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set

This is a discussion on If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Redneck Sorry, but that mindset is so old school. Our own government studies have shown that 1-3 EMP weapons exploded high in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Sorry, but that mindset is so old school. Our own government studies have shown that 1-3 EMP weapons exploded high in the atmosphere would result in 90% of the population of the US dead within a year or so. In my book, that would mean chaos. A cyber attack on our grid, by folks like North Korea or Iran, who already have the access & capability, would not be as extreme but would be cataclysmic all the same. Point being, our entire society is dependent on electricity & communication. Without those, fuel isn't pumped & transportation quickly stops. Imagine a major city with no food delivery for weeks. To destroy a society, one no longer has to pound it into submission. Can do more damage with a few keystrokes. That is the new world we live in. I sure hope our leaders plan properly if we proceed with a preemptive strike on North Korea.

To the original point of the thread, all my prepping is based upon building a small community. I don't think it possible to survive long term without one.
    And several years ago the computers were going to crash and bring about chaos.
    And there was gas rationing.
    And riots all over the United States during the sixties.
    And threats of nuclear war with Russia.
    And the Cuban missile crisis.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Not going to say it can't happen, but as I drive cross country, while I may see little pockets of what the media claim is widespread, I don't see the world around me looking significantly different than the last 50 or so years off the top of my head.
    So don't be so critical of the old school thinking, especially from someone who lived through several of those events. Too many people fantasize about this bold new adventure not realizing the truth of it. I think video games and TV has glamorized the apocalyptic world to the point the basement dwellers find the idea more than mildly erotic.
    Now, will I continue Prepping? Of course. But I'm going to bear in mind that the basic ideas we as real preppers aspire to are an old school way of thinking and doing.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    have to have ponies for the pony express.. and they will be used for work instead.....
    Or food.
    hag likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Is this another Wild One rehash? Yall are suspect...

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    This country has been thru cataclysmic events in its over 240 years of existence.
    Never have we seen anything like certain "preppers" envision - total breakdown of law and order, roving gangs raping and pillaging, etc.

The ONLY thing I personally think would bring that about is nuclear war, which given North Korea and Iran may not be far fetched.
    But if nukes start raining down, the last thing I'll be worrying about is forming a militia group.
    Days of rage, Detroit burning, Watts riots ect all local events but just as real SHTF for those in the middle of it.
    rice paddy daddy and Inor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Or food.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Whinnyburgers!
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Sorry, but that mindset is so old school. Our own government studies have shown that 1-3 EMP weapons exploded high in the atmosphere would result in 90% of the population of the US dead within a year or so. In my book, that would mean chaos. A cyber attack on our grid, by folks like North Korea or Iran, who already have the access & capability, would not be as extreme but would be cataclysmic all the same. Point being, our entire society is dependent on electricity & communication. Without those, fuel isn't pumped & transportation quickly stops. Imagine a major city with no food delivery for weeks. To destroy a society, one no longer has to pound it into submission. Can do more damage with a few keystrokes. That is the new world we live in. I sure hope our leaders plan properly if we proceed with a preemptive strike on North Korea.

To the original point of the thread, all my prepping is based upon building a small community. I don't think it possible to survive long term without one.
    Do you REALLY think that another country would explode a nuclear warhead 300 miles above Kansas (that is what it would take for an EMP to affect the whole US) without a MASSIVE nuclear ICBM response by the United States? At that point, joining a "militia" or "settlement" would be so far down my priority list as to be a mere footnote.

We have crops in the ground, we have livestock, we can get by without electricity. We live on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town.
    I'm not worried by an event of such low probability.

Now, city folks, and those in suburbia will most likely be in for the proverbial screwing over if the stock market really crashes, or groups of muslim terrorists perform coordinated strikes.
    Inor likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    have to have ponies for the pony express.. and they will be used for work instead.....
    Or food.
    Is there anything a squatch wont eat?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Days of rage, Detroit burning, Watts riots ect all local events but just as real SHTF for those in the middle of it.
    That's why we live at the corner of 40th and Plum.

40 miles out, plum in the middle of nowhere.
    A Watchman and Smitty901 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Do you REALLY think that another country would explode a nuclear warhead 300 miles above Kansas (that is what it would take for an EMP to affect the whole US) without a MASSIVE nuclear ICBM response by the United States? At that point, joining a "militia" or "settlement" would be so far down my priority list as to be a mere footnote.

We have crops in the ground, we have livestock, we can get by without electricity. We live on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town.
    I'm not worried by an event of such low probability.

Now, city folks, and those in suburbia will most likely be in for the proverbial screwing over if the stock market really crashes, or groups of muslim terrorists perform coordinated strikes.
    Saying that the ONLY way to affect the U.S. with an EMP is detonating a nuclear bomb 300 miles above Kansas shows a misunderstanding, or incomplete understanding of EMP in its various forms. We could have a NATURAL EMP via a coronal mass ejection that could collapse power grids not just in the whole of the U.S., but around the world. It may not fry computers, phones, cars etc...but it would fry the power grid and collapse society, rendering most of those other things a moot point after a while. One could also through more crude means set off an EMP over the U.S., not as high, say over the east coast, and still collapse the grid. Just saying. Saying your scenario is the ONLY way for it to happen...I disagree.

Also, its great that you have livestock and crops in the ground. When massive population centers however, who don't, leave the concrete jungle, and potentially gangs of dozens or hundred of people sweep through the countryside, starving and desperate...depending on where you live, at that point, you might not be as safe as you thought you were. Just some food for thought.

Personally I think we are at a very very unique time in history. Electricity is no longer a convenience. It has become a necessity, for most Western powers that is. Maybe not everyone. Losing it would not mean simply going back to the 1800's. People in the 1800's after all knew how to be people of he 1800's. People today, most, don't. We aren't SET UP for that anymore. I don't think people appreciate how delicate a system we have that has been created. The more refined it gets, the more complex, the more we are set up for the domino's to fall, like never before, because of that dependency. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Sir Publius; 04-03-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Redneck likes this.

I don't see as rosy a picture as some here. War? Maybe so. Terror attacks? Most assuredly. Economic collapse? Likely. That crazy ass bastard in North Korea? Real problem. Do I want to keep living the way I do in relative comfort and ease? Hell yes. Do I want to play army, struggle to survive, and possibly die an ugly death, or live like they did in the 1800's? That would be no. I am simply prepared, Better then most on this planet I would say, to make the best of it should SHTF become a reality.

I like my AC, my cold beer, BBQ, and football on the weekends. I have no delusions of grandeur if it ever comes down to SHTF. I keep my eyes on it, I prepare for it realistically and as best I can with what I have. I live my life and enjoy.

As to the OP's question? Best you have a group in place before things get ugly. Not always feasible but best.
    A Watchman likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links