Was stillness a pleasure to the Apache?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Was stillness a pleasure to the Apache? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I watched this movie the other day about Geronimo and a soldier said that to an Apache stillness is a pleasure. Does anyone know if ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Was stillness a pleasure to the Apache?

I watched this movie the other day about Geronimo and a soldier said that to an Apache stillness is a pleasure. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? It seems like that kind of thing would come in handy in a survival situation.

If your a hunter, stillness is a pleasure. There are a lot of interesting things to see and hear after about 15 to 30mins of not moving or making any noise.

Hard to belie ave anything they say about Indians . It is fashionable to make them out to be some kind of god like all know magical people. They were just another people trying to get by another day. Most of what you read is embellished.
    Boss Dog likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Hard to belie ave anything they say about Indians . It is fashionable to make them out to be some kind of god like all know magical people. They were just another people trying to get by another day. Most of what you read is embellished.
    But I didn't read it. And I was just wondering if the stillness = pleasure thing was an actual method of theirs.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flint'n'steel View Post
    But I didn't read it. And I was just wondering if the stillness = pleasure thing was an actual method of theirs.
    Do research. Figure it out. Let us know.
    Boss Dog likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by modfan View Post
    If your a hunter, stillness is a pleasure. There are a lot of interesting things to see and hear after about 15 to 30mins of not moving or making any noise.
    I often sit out in the woods, and you are absolutely right.
    After a few minutes, creatures resume their activities that you interrupted by walking into their space.
    I have a chair in one location, and a bench at another in my woodlot. I was sitting on the bench one beautiful day, nice and still, when a little bird came hopping down the path, picking here and there at the debris looking for food. I moved not one muscle, and actually held my breath when he walked inches away from my boot. Very cool.
    I don't hunt, but do enjoy the stillness of the woods.
    SOCOM42, Boss Dog, rstanek and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I live in the heart of Apache country. Geronimo was an asshat. Chief Cochise was not. The greatest pleasure to an Apache was killing Mexicans. Their women were especially vicious with their means of torture and death.

The entire war between Cochise and the U.S. government started when Cochise held up a Butterfield stage coach carrying 3 Americans and 3 Mexicans. The Apaches took the 3 Americans prisoner (to use for prisoner exchange later). They tied the Mexicans to the stage and burned them alive. An idiot 2nd Lieutenant at Ft Bowie, fresh out of West Point, had the 3 Apache prisoners they were holding, hanged over the incident. One of them was Cochise's half-brother. Cochise went nuts and declared war on the federals. The rest is history.

(Note: That was a few years after Geronimo had split from the 7 Apache tribes under Cochise. Geronimo had already been defeated by that time.)
    Denton, azrancher and 8301 like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

None

Quote Originally Posted by Flint'n'steel View Post
    Stillness and contemplation is a universal pleasure to people of all cultures although some cultures stress it more than others.
    My brother can sit in stillness and contemplate for hours (Navajo ashram training for 2 years). I'm more of a think for 10 minutes and act kind of guy, very little stillness.
    Denton and Inor like this.

When I pray, the first things are not for material goods. My first requests are for peace and beauty. I usually walk around tense and wondering when the bottom is going to fall out. For me, the best part of heaven will be this peace, taking a non-guilty nap, and seeing the beauty of vistas, colorful outcroppings and time to enjoy it all.

If I attain that, I will be "still," and I look forward to that more than anything.
    A Watchman and Denton like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Or, ... it's not necessary the NEWS, we have been bombarded with false reporting for the past... at least 100 years, it is a way to control the people (and make lots of money), and when you have people like William Randolph Hearst selling newspapers, you get fake news.

My disillusionment with Indian stories and what happened back when, has forever been tainted by Iron Eyes Cody, an American of Italian decent...

Name:  Iron-Eyes-Cody.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  21.3 KB

Rancher
    Smitty901 and Inor like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links