Hardening your position
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hardening your position

This is a discussion on Hardening your position within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So folks, as a few of you know, I'm still relatively new to the whole prepping game, or rather, I'm new to actually starting to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hardening your position

Hardening your position

So folks, as a few of you know, I'm still relatively new to the whole prepping game, or rather, I'm new to actually starting to do it, but I've been thinking about how I'd do it for years now. Currently, increasing viable security measures if my biggest priority, as it's honestly what would be most important to the Mrs. and myself, since we intend to shelter in place if SHTF. Now, our current location lends extremely well to security already, between the five buildings on the property, fence line and available routes by which one could actually enter the property, but points of cover are a bit scarce. Some might argue that houses and buildings provide good cover, but being one who has seen what .308 and even just .223/5.56mm can do to the walls of a building, I'd argue vehemently that your typical house with sheet rock walls does not make for good cover, that, and the last thing I want is somebody shooting at our homes if it can be avoided. So, areas of cover comes to mind, solid points to actually stand behind if the need ever arises. T-wall comes to mind, but a 4ft wall of friggin concrete isn't exactly low profile. Trees can make for fairly decent cover against 5.56 NATO, but most 7.62 will start punching through after a few hits in the same general area. Am I expecting that we'd ever suffer a full on assault? No. Do I think it's wise to have some basic fortifications in place in the event that it might occur? Definitely. So I'm trying to identify some solid, easy methods of fortification for good firing positions. Trenches would work, but I think her parents would be a little miffed if I started digging 4ft deep holes on the property. lol

Any ideas? I've been weighing the option of maybe sand filled burn barrels, simply because they're cheap and low key, since most properties out here have more than a handful of old oil drums sitting in random points.

The Good Cop

Our base camp in Nam had fighting positions right outside our hootches, in addition to the regular perimeter bunkers and bunkers against incoming artillery (mortars and rockets).
    These were simply fighting holes big enough for two men, about 3 feet deep, and on the side facing the likely avenue of approach had corrogated metal half pipe about two feet tall with triple deep sandbags on the enemy side of the pipe. The kind of pipe that is used as culverts in road construction, where the two halves are bolted together to form a 4 or 6 foot diameter pipe.
    This would not be as high as oil drums and you could throw a tarp over it to conceal it's true intent.

You haven't lived until you spent a sleepless night in a hole filled with water during the monsoon rains, waiting................and waiting....................and waiting................
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-12-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Denton likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Fox holes are great, but the problem is digging holes that deep into my property would do several things for me that wouldn't really justify having them.

1) Maintaining: The ground out here is largely soft soil and sand, meaning that I'd have to periodically "rebuild" the position.

2) Hazards: With one munchkin already running around, and at least two more in the future, I wouldn't want to run the risk of them slipping into the holes and hurting themselves.

That said, if SHTF I would probably hurry up and dig a few positions out, but they wouldn't lend well to being up and ready day to day, every day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Your 2 best options are to use sand bags to reinforce your shooting positions, even a single layer of sand bags will stop a .308

The other best sneakiest option is to have a OP/LP that is outside your house and camo'd up.

In either case for .25 cents a bag you can buy the best ballistic defense you can imagine.
    Ripon, Denton and Alpha-17 like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Maybe short strategically placed gabion walls. You can landscape these so they dont draw too much attention. Definitely a bullet stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Your 2 best options are to use sand bags to reinforce your shooting positions, even a single layer of sand bags will stop a .308

The other best sneakiest option is to have a OP/LP that is outside your house and camo'd up.

In either case for .25 cents a bag you can buy the best ballistic defense you can imagine.
    I think this is your best bet hands down. Get you a pallet of sand bags and put them in a out building sheltered from the suns UV rays and they will likely be ready for use years later if called upon. If the SHTF, in a couple of days you could have them all filled and placed into position. Just understand that unless they are covered in some way the suns UV rays will deteriorate them in a couple of months in the Texas sun. If you need them to be permenant after the SHTF you can cover them with chicken wire and plaster concrete over them to make them last.

Need something a little more permenant? Get in touch with your feminine side, make the wife a happy camper and stratigically place some raised flower beds. They can stop incoming bullets and make it hard for vehicles to drive up and unload an assault team on you. Low rock walls can do the same thing. Plant Rose Bushes in front of them and folks wont try to hide behind them and use them against you and they will look nicer too!

Four foot tall planter boxes that are four to six feet deep and run the full length of your home's perimeter are great for "bullet proofing" your home and providing cover from incoming fire. To make use of them you will have to lay down on the floor but it should offer adequate protection from any pistol and rifle fire. The hard part will be hardening your windows and doors. Shutters, even if they are 1/2" steel will not stop a rifle bullet and with the windows shuttered you can't see where they are or what they are doing. You can use shuuters on the doors but again you are trapped in the home and have no means to escape.

Ripon and kevincali like this.

While they look like planters they are actually water retention basins in front of the windows at my city home. They are about 6 feet in length and 42 inches high and are lined with a pond liner, the rain gutter distributes my roof water to them first and at 41 inches there is an overflow which would be used if we get more than a 1/2 an inch. They are sealed on top so I don't worry about misquitos or bugs on them in the summer and generally leave them filled until the end of summer and then use them on the garden. In a crisis though they'd be drinking water and hold all me and my wife need for the year - not that we'd stay here in a crisis but you never know. When filled with water I'm pretty sure they'd stop the first few rounds of darn near anything being 36 inches thick.
    kevincali likes this.

And don't forget to influence their travel to where YOU WANT them to be.

My house is a trailer. There's no fortifying it without lining the walls with plate steel.

But as far as people coming onto my property, wether they realize it or not, they follow a path I made. My front yard faces the street directly. So I planted roses on either side of the main walkway facing the street. They HAVE to walk down the walkway, which activates the motion sensor lights and gets the dogs barking. Then I planted more roses between the walkway and driveway. So they'd have to come down the driveway and across the small patch of gravel, which turns on the motion sensor, and gets the dogs barking. And because its right in front of my bedroom window, I can see everything. So right there, I know there are only 2 ways they can access my property from the front.

As for the back, I have a gate that leads to 10' more of my property. I planted cactus and blackberries along the fence. Put in a lemon tree in the corner. So that influences them to come in through the gate, which lines up with my back window and door. I've successfully funneled them down into a 36" section, which means single file. I can pick them off one by one.

As for the sides, I have some thorny things planted (limes and such) in crucial spots.

Just posting this, because what is the use of having walls to shoot from, when they have free movement across the property? Influence their movement to your advantage while making them think they are moving free willed.
    Ripon likes this.

I vote for sandbags. To quote one of James Rawles; books, "Nothing stops bullets like mass, and sandbags are cheap mass". In the event of the SHTF, you emplace sandbags around certain areas of your house, ie, windows designated as firing positions, doors, or a room you want to be your safe room. They also would help in the construction an LP/OP. You could place them either inside the house, or outside, depending on how visible you want the defenses to be. Sandbags are cheap, effective, and don't have to be set in before everything goes screwy, so you won't appear to everybody to be one of those crazy prepper crackpots.

As a side note, if you haven't read Patriots, by James Wesley Rawles, you might want to. If you can stand his politics, general preaching attitude, and religious views, he has a wealth of knowledge in that book. There are several long sections on how the fictional group in the book fortifies their retreat. Definitely worth a read in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links