Stocking up on Spaghetti Sauce
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Stocking up on Spaghetti Sauce within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We can our own sauce But at 84¢ a can it is hard not to stock up on spaghetti sauce and manwich sloppy joe sauce...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Stocking up on Spaghetti Sauce

We can our own sauce But at 84¢ a can it is hard not to stock up on spaghetti sauce and manwich sloppy joe sauce
    Stocking up on Spaghetti Sauce-sauce.jpg
    sideKahr, wallyLOZ, Slippy and 6 others like this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    We can our own sauce But at 84¢ a can it is hard not to stock up on spaghetti sauce and manwich sloppy joe sauce
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sauce.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	41929
    You can't beat that. Saves you all the trouble. Just check the dates.

I buy a case flat of the jarred name brand stuff when it goes on sale for a $1 - the sauce is just a natural go along with the buckets of pasta ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Spaghetti sauce is one of my basic preps. I put up sauce in 1999 for the Y2K crisis, and used it as late as 2006. It was fine. The high acidity makes it a long-storage gem.

None

For long term storage keep in mind that some members here when storing tomato paste long term have seen the acidity make the can leak after many years. Don't just buy tomato paste/sauce and expect it to be in the can after 10 years. I think 5 years is safe but don't just bury the can where you could never rotate it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    For long term storage keep in mind that some members here when storing tomato paste long term have seen the acidity make the can leak after many years. Don't just buy tomato paste/sauce and expect it to be in the can after 10 years. I think 5 years is safe but don't just bury the can where you could never rotate it.

most of the cans from the better brands should have the poly liner now - but I stick to the glass jars for long storage - the metal jar lids have been protected for decades now with either a liner or an enamel coat ....
    RJAMES, Maine-Marine and dwight55 like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Correct. I buy in glass only. None of my jars showed any type of corrosion on the coated lids after 6 years in storage, however, so the new coatings are working well.
    RJAMES likes this.

Anyone have any ideas on what you could use Sloppy Joe sause with besides hamburger?

Every year here, the local store has case sales. We try and stock up on veggies, sauces and some other stuff. Last year, they had a sale on Hunt's spaghetti sauce for $6 a case (12). The tomato sauces (12) and pastes (24-7oz.) were $5 a case and stewed tomatoes (12) for $7 a case. Not a bad deal. We use the paste and stewed tomatoes for my canned chili.
    A Watchman and Prepared One like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.Ripley View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on what you could use Sloppy Joe sause with besides hamburger?
    Well it could be used on any kind of pasta, and instant mashed potatoes... you do store away instant potatoes don't you, one of many food items that gets overlooked but goes with everything, and easy to raise, potatoes!!!

Rancher
    C.L.Ripley and Radio like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links