Propane Heater
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Propane Heater

This is a discussion on Propane Heater within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; My daughter & husband recently lost power in the latest NE snow storm. They won't have power restored for at least 2 days. The temp ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Propane Heater

Propane Heater

My daughter & husband recently lost power in the latest NE snow storm. They won't have power restored for at least 2 days. The temp was 20 degrees this morning. I am considering buying them a
    Mr. Heater, 30,000 - 45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater. I'm thinking if a window is cracked & a co2 sensor is close by they should be fine. Any one recommend something better or any better ideas. They live in a townhouse of around 1200 sq ft. Thanks

There are "on the wall" heaters that do not require an open window, . . . they are propane.

If this is the one you're looking at, . . . I'd say it is OK: http://www.mrheater.com/30-000-btu-v...ater-1707.html

I have one similar to it that heats my leather shop, . . . look for that kind of heater.

Be especially careful of it if the instructions say "Use only in a well ventilated area". That one will get them killed or extremely sick.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 03-15-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    RedLion likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

that type of model is really incorrect for an emergency heating application for a residence .....

this is the type you are contemplating ... - MH45T Triple Tank Top Heater | Mr. Heater

this is the type model you should be buying ..... MH18B Big Buddy Portable Heater | Mr. Heater

instead of the 1lb propane bottles you need an adapter/extension hose for utilizing the 20lb BBQ size tanks .... https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-12-...N%3DB000UC7966

your family needs to be prepped to reduce that 1200 sq foot total down to a more workable living space - close off a bedroom or the living room? .... camp out in sleeping bags
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-15-2017 at 06:44 AM.
    8301 and SOCOM42 like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

None

What Illini Warrier said. He has it right.
    The Big Buddy even with a 20 lb tank only runs about 10 hrs on high heat (30 hrs on low heat) on one 20 lb tank. Be sure they have at least 2-3 tanks for emergency heat and since the bottom of the heater gets pretty hot a lot of people set it on I piece of wood if the room has carpet. The fan on these units is pretty weak but the Big Buddy is an excellent choice for the money.
    Last edited by 8301; 03-15-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    What Illini Warrier said. He has it right.
    The Big Buddy even with a 20 lb tank only runs about 10 hrs on high heat (30 hrs on low heat) on one 20 lb tank. Be sure they have at least 2-3 tanks for emergency heat and since the bottom of the heater gets pretty hot a lot of people set it on I piece of wood if the room has carpet. The fan on these units is pretty weak but the Big Buddy is an excellent choice for the money.
    A Mr Buddy will run much longer than that on high on a 20lbs propane tank so will a Hunting buddy which has a bigger burner I use them in hunting blinds for deer season every year.

I have both - the original Mr buddy and the Hunting buddy.

Mr Buddy-
    Provides 3 to 6 hours of heat with 1-lb. propane cylinder and 48 to 110 hours with a 20-lb. tank
    Big Buddy-
    up to 108 hours on 20-lb. propane tank.
    Hunting Buddy-
    Up to 36 to 72 hours on a 20
    lb. cylinder (based on „HI‰ and „LO‰ settings).
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    SGG, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

The Big Buddy is an excellent choice. I have the Buddy heater, the little brother to the Big Buddy, and has half the BTU output. Use it for camping or emergencies. I also have a 30,000 BTU unit (link below) that I cart back and forth to our cabin in winter. Heats a 500 SF great room on one 20lb tank for about three days. Mind you our climate is warmer than the NE.

FREE SHIPPING — Mr. Heater Vent-Free Liquid Propane Radiant Wall Heater — 30,000 BTU, 5-Plaque, Model# MHVFRD30LPT | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by wallyLOZ View Post
    The Big Buddy is an excellent choice. I have the Buddy heater, the little brother to the Big Buddy, and has half the BTU output. Use it for camping or emergencies. I also have a 30,000 BTU unit (link below) that I cart back and forth to our cabin in winter. Heats a 500 SF great room on one 20lb tank for about three days. Mind you our climate is warmer than the NE.

FREE SHIPPING — Mr. Heater Vent-Free Liquid Propane Radiant Wall Heater — 30,000 BTU, 5-Plaque, Model# MHVFRD30LPT | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

a Mr Heater unit that doesn't get enough attention - it's a Buddy unit installed in a roll around cabinet that also houses the 20lb BBQ tank

MH18CH Cabinet Heater | Mr. Heater -
    SOCOM42 and wallyLOZ like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I've been using Heater Buddies for five years as my primary heat source. I'm at 6k feet in the high desert, and it gets cold in winter (snowed, flooded, and mudded in two months this year). The tank top type heater warms fast, while the other one or two maintain it. A 20lb tank lasts LOTS longer than 10 hours, more like forty or more. I use the 100lb tanks, though. One per heater per winter, so far.

Your best bet is a small generator Hook it directly to furnace to power it. You can also rotate it to run other things as needed.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Mr Heater units are my secondary heat source, have several of them, each is supplied by dual 100 pound tanks.

There are six spare 100 pound tanks.

Third level heat is kerosene, fourth is wood.

The Big Buddy is the best bet, good idea to have spare ceramic plates and thermocouple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links