Rubbing Alcohol
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rubbing Alcohol

This is a discussion on Rubbing Alcohol within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Anyone stocking up on this? If so how much are you keeping? I read that isopropyl lasts indefinitely. I use it quite a bit myself....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rubbing Alcohol

BLG

Rubbing Alcohol

Anyone stocking up on this? If so how much are you keeping? I read that isopropyl lasts indefinitely. I use it quite a bit myself.

Yes and a lot.

yar,
    It is cheap, has 3 dozen uses and... Did I mention it is cheap?

Anyone that doesn't have a gallon of this in stock is slacking.
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Has anyone figured out how to store the stuff long term? When we cleaned out my mom's house, she had bought literally dozens of bottles of rubbing alcohol. 90% of the bottles had never been opened, but yet they were almost empty. It was like the alcohol was evaporating through the plastic bottles!

We have a bunch. But I am fearful that if SHTF does not happen for a few years, it may be all gone by then.

Yes that happens a lot using glass bottles with metal lids

The metal lids rust, the oxygen gets in and evaporates the alcohol

Plastic is better in this case and for the forseeable future.
    BLG likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

As long as it stores a couple of years, by then there will be people making ethyl alcohol (moonshine) which can be used in most situations instead of isopropyl alcohol.

Edit: denatured alcohol that also has a lot of uses is ethyl alcohol with additives to make it poisonous so that you can't drink it and doesn't need an alcohol tax.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 01-10-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    Inor likes this.

We buy at least 2 and usually 3-4 every time we make a wal mart trip. Along with peroxide.. We have them in several different places. I use it a lot..
    Check out my blog Hidden Content Also SurvivingTheBreaks on Facebook.. My radio show will be goin live next week on Hidden Content so be sure to listen out.

I already use a ton of it here. It is of course and awesome (although painful) antiseptic but can be used for lots of things besides wound care and preventing infection.

another cheap item I stock up on is Listerine mouth wash. well actually the generic non flavored version. this is also a great thing to have around for wound cleaning and prevention of infection. much cheaper than a lot of the products made for the job and it works just as good if not better.
    Always have huge bottles in every animal shelter/house since I can pour it on a wound and not worry about how much since it is super cheap.

I copied and pasted what is below to give a few ideas on how to use it.

Listerine is a popular mouthwash with a long history. It has been around for a long time. Originally it was created as a surgical antiseptic. Then it was marketed as a mouth wash and became the huge empire it is today. But Listerine can be used around the house and for a number of other things as well as for helping keep your teeth and mouth clean.

Home Remedies.
    Listerine can be used to aid in taking care of a number of problems that you or your family may suffer from. As a home remedy many have been praising its powers since around the 1930's. It can help with a number of issues for a number of reasons, some of which we don't even fully understand. Many of the reasons have to do with its germ killing power and its combination of essential oils.

•Fungal infections. Some of us have to deal with fungal infections in the form of one or more problems: nail or toe nail fungus, athlete's foot, jock itch, or truckers bottom. Listerine is a great way to kill the fungus. To do this apply it with a spray bottle (new, don't ever reuse them) or a cotton ball or square. Wet down the infected area and let it air dry. For tough infections such as nail infections soaking is often more effective. Soak the area for 20 minutes and then let air dry. You can also add a couple of cap fulls to your bath for some added relief. This will get rid of the itching and help get rid of the fungus (though it will take several treatments to get rid of the fungus).

•Dandruff. Listerine can also take care of dandruff. In fact, it was even marketed as a dandruff solution for awhile. To use it spray it onto the roots of your hair and gently massage it in. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then wash your hair as normal. You can repeat as necessary. Sometimes it will take several uses before the dandruff is completely gone though itching should stop almost immediately. It is also something you will likely need to repeat in the future.

•After shave. Shaving can cause irritation to the skin. There are a wide range of products out there that can help and Listerine is one of them. The essential oils in Listerine help to sooth irritated skin and leave it soft and smooth. Plus you can choose a flavor that you like and it will leave you smelling fresh and clean.

•Body deodorant. Listerine was created to kill bacteria. It does this very well. It can therefore be a way to kill germs that leave odor on the body. You can splash it under your arms or in other locations to fight odor and leave yourself feeling and smelling clean.

•Wounds. You can also use Listerine as a wound care product. It kills bacteria, helps sooth, and even helps repair. You can pour it over wounds that aren't serious in the same manner that you would use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol.

•Lice. Many people claim that Listerine is a good way of killing and treating for lice. While I can't promise that it is true, it should be noted that if it does work it would do so less expensively and safer then traditional lice removal methods. Thoroughly spray down the hair and scalp and let it sit. It is also a good idea to spray down the hair and scalp of those who don't yet have it.
    •Skin issues. There are a wide range of skin issues that Listerine can help provide relief for. To apply rub it on with a cotton ball or square, squirt it on with a clean squirt bottle, or simply slosh it on with your hand. The various skin issues that it can help with are psoriasis, shingles, various rashes, acne, and bug bites. It is also good for providing relief to allergic reactions such as those caused by nature including (but not limited to) poison oak, poison sumac, and poison ivy. Itching should stop immediately. It can be used again when itching starts back up and it will help in the rash to heal quickly.
    Slippy, BLG, MI.oldguy and 2 others like this.

And all my dentist told me to do with it was rinse after brusing....Thanks Tired Nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Yes that happens a lot using glass bottles with metal lids

The metal lids rust, the oxygen gets in and evaporates the alcohol

Plastic is better in this case and for the forseeable future.
    I see that with alcohol swabs too. About three years is all you get. Then it is just a sterile, hermetically sealed bore patch for gun cleaning.
    shotlady likes this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links