relaoding ammo vs cheap bulk ammo - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

relaoding ammo vs cheap bulk ammo

This is a discussion on relaoding ammo vs cheap bulk ammo within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; My opinion would be to do both, I have the same calibers plus a 300 win mag and 338 Lapua Magnum and these two calibers ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: relaoding ammo vs cheap bulk ammo

My opinion would be to do both, I have the same calibers plus a 300 win mag and 338 Lapua Magnum and these two calibers are why I got into reloading. I now reload all the calibers I own. I think reloading and having control over the quality of your ammo is super important. I chronograph all my ammo and reloads to match to the caliber so I can be as accurate as possible because as stated in some earlier post if I have to take a shot at 700+ yards I want to know my ammo is up to the task. Plus I shot long range competitions so I guess I'm a little bias but I think its a good skill to have and having the ability to match your ammo to your gun will make you a better marksman but again I may be a little bias... LOL

Thanks for the advice. Learning how to reload could be a good skill to learn. It would be nice for my 308 because ammo is more expensive than 7.62x39 and 223. I'm going to think about it more.

None

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1983 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Learning how to reload could be a good skill to learn. It would be nice for my 308 because ammo is more expensive than 7.62x39 and 223. I'm going to think about it more.
    .380 is a round that is financially justifiable for reloading. For that reason I load it but 9mm or .223 are not enough savings to justify reloading in my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here is my .02. I think everyone should reload. I have been doing it over 50 years. It is a great way to relax and save money. I reload for 9 different calibers. If you really want to save, learn to cast your own bullets and powder coat them. I can reload 9mm for 3.00 a box and 223 for 1.20 a box, and again great relaxation. I have started teaching my eight year old grandson how to do it and he loves it.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Reloading is great knowledge to have, and your rounds are generally much more accurate.
    But you want ammo you can count on if the SHTF. I'm sticking with reloading.

I reload because I enjoy the quiet time. I'm doubt that I have saved more than a few bucks (except on my 300 wsm), but I am stacking it high and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    .380 is a round that is financially justifiable for reloading. For that reason I load it but 9mm or .223 are not enough savings to justify reloading in my opinion.
    I would agree somewhat with .223 due to the time/steps to reload it but I still reload 5.56/223. But with 9mm I strongly disagree I can reload 9mm for about $3/box of 50 and it takes me about 10 minutes or less with my Dillon. It takes me 10 min to go the shore and the cheapest I can find 9mm here is $12/box of 50 and that’s steel.
    Last edited by Tennessee; 03-18-2017 at 06:57 AM.

The key to cheap bulk ammo is a progressive and a lot of bulk comps...for a 650 with a Case and Bullet feeder setup for one caliber its like a 2K investment with a tumbler/seperator sure but that pays off quick.

Same for comps...I buy primers 25K at a time (Ginex), 6k or 20k bullets at a time (RMR) and cases are super cheap...powder I do 16lbs of Universal all from Grafs...thats about 2K in supplies but will last me quite a bit

For BS bulk ammo you can do 1000rd of Tula for $150+S/H
    Midrange plinker ammo like Blazer or WWB for $200+S/H
    Then "good" 9mm ammo thats accurate enough like Lawman or Sig is running $250+S/H...if youre buying local swap S/H for sales tax which is 7.5% in Columbus...not a good look

I can do 124gr FMJ 9mm that is accurate as I need it to be for about $72/1000 with the comps I listed...filling up 10 pickup tubes, and keeping the bullet and case feeder fed on my Dillon isnt much effort...all together itll take me maybe 30 minutes to do

I will still need to load a bit to get a good ROI but I can rest easy knowing I can load for almost 60% less than 1K bulk packs, and have much more accurate and consitent ammo.

And for rifle...when I had a lot of 556 I wouldnt even prep them...no trimming or neck resizing, just spat em out my 1050, some had issues chambering but for $112/1K versus $350/1K im fine with doing that

Just my $.02

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links