Do you use Cast Iron Cookware?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Do you use Cast Iron Cookware? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I was walking through the store the other day and noticed how much of the cookware made these days has plastic and delicate coatings on ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Do you use Cast Iron Cookware?

I was walking through the store the other day and noticed how much of the cookware made these days has plastic and delicate coatings on them. Most are thin and light weight which is nice if you have to carry it around much I will admit. A lot of the pots and pans have delicate coatings which make clean up quick and easy if you burn something in the pan to the bottom. It seems too the manufactures are quiet proud of these modern marvels of cookware.

But I got to thinking...and you know how dangerous that can be lol. What if the SHTF long term and you couldn't cook on a stove or an oven due to lack of gas or electricity? How would these modern marvels hold up? How durable would the prove to be? How well could you cook a meal in them?

I have a few Cast Iron pots/pans etc... I use them pretty frequently. Here the last couple of years, I have also found myself ditching a lot of my other cookware in favor of more cast iron cookware. Why? Well I like the way it cooks dishes more evenly. I like the way it really holds the heat better keeping dishes piping hot incase I want seconds at the dinner table. Keep them seasoned and they are pretty low maintenance as well. While they work well over modern day stoves...if I needed to, I could easily cook with them over a open fire or a BBQ grill. No plastic or wood handles to melt or catch fire! No Teflon or other high tech coatings to wear off the cookware's interior either! Yeah they are heavy I will admit and I would not want to really take them on a hiking trip to the high mountains. But on the flip side they are built like that proverbial Brick Crap House! I am not sure how one would go about damaging one beyond use with out straight up abusing it and even then they will sure take a lot more of that than most people can dish out. I mean seriously...I got one 12 inch skillet passed down from family through the generations that I am fortunate enough to be in possession of that was made in 1858!!! Yes I still use that baby and yes its still kicking butt and taken names!!! Yes that pan is well over 100 years old and you'd be hard pressed to beat it 8 days a week. If it could talk I can only imagine the stories a pan that old could tell.

So is anyone else using cast iron cookware or adding any to their collection of food prep supplies, or am I just that old school and stubbornly stuck in the past?
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 01-01-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Denton, hayden, MrsInor and 1 others like this.

Gotta admit, I like cast iron over the regular stuff. I own a fair amount.
    Denton, BamaBoy101 and dwight55 like this.

I do indeed love that ancient cast iron skillet I have had for years now, but I recently got a 3.5 qt enamel coated Pot that makes some of the most incredible stews and soups in. Last night I got a smaller light weight skillet than has an enamel coated bottom that should be the shiznick for one person sized stir fry meals. Im already choppin at the bit to get a 6qt enamel coated pot for larger batches of stews and soups. I might even add a dutch oven to the mix as well later. There just aint too many things in this world that's as good as a cobbler cooked in a dutch oven. If there is I haven't yet found it!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes I have a good set of cast iron pans, still nothing better for making corn bread
    Boss Dog, Denton and dwight55 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Got a small set (about 6 pieces) that we use most every day. My mother, sister and one daughter also prefer iron.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

We've got a skillet that's well over 30 years old, and a few other pieces that we picked up a couple of years ago. Can't beat the flavor that cast iron imparts to your favorite dishes. Also agree with Smitty, can't be beat for cornbread. If we have to bug-out by car, it all goes with us.

I PREFER CAST IRON!

If you find the OLD stuff (THICKER IRON) in garage sales and thrift shops you can take it to a machine shop and have them mill the cooking surface (or you can do it yourself with a wet-stone and a $#!+ load of hours and elbow grease). Making the cooking surface as smooth as possible and polishing it to a mirror like finish before seasoning or glazing it makes it more non-stick than the commercial stuff.

I like to use the hard white fat that you find in beef or steak to season mine. I think some people call that "tallow." I know a guy that saves the fat from his Elk if he gets one to use for the same thing. Elk is LOW FAT and when you do find it, the fat is pretty dense and has a HIGH melting and smoke point. So you basically heat the fat on a long low burn to render it and then let it coat the metal - then increase it right up to before it smokes and let it harden to a glaze.

Here is the trick to cooking with CI - and this is where modern cook ware excels... TEMPERATURE CONTROL IS CRITICAL. You can over cook and use temps way too high in modern cookware. This ruins food taste and some of the proteins and nutrients in the food, but the cook ware makes recovering from these sins easy with non-stick clean up.

With CI you need to watch the heat - easy over gas or alcohol, but a little more of a challenge over a fire. Cooking too high on CI makes it a mess to clean up. BUT! If you get good with controlling the temp, CI cleans up just as easy if not easier than the Non-Stick coated modern stuff does and I think CI cooked food tastes better.
    Denton and paraquack like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

My favorite is the 10" chef's skillet. It's perfect for eggs and other things.

My wife only makes cornbread in the 12" skillet. I had a cornstick pan but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    My favorite is the 10" chef's skillet. It's perfect for eggs and other things.

My wife only makes cornbread in the 12" skillet. I had a cornstick pan but I'll be darned if I can find it.
    Subjects have a way of coming up on the threads . Just a couple days ago My 31 year old daughter and I got into a conversation about Corn bread.
    I challenged her to make some use oil and some using lard in a cast pan .
    Corn bread make with bacon drippings,lard in baked in a cast pan ,it don't get any better.
    inceptor likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

We have a bunch of lodge cast stuff, some of it was my moms and my wife moms.we use it for camping and cooking outside now as we have a ceramic cooktop.one of these days I want to plumb our kitchen for gas,we have a gas furnace and water heater,why the previous owners left the kitchen 220v and didnt run the extra 20 ft of gas line is a big mystery to me.and why they installed a newer fireplace and venting instead of a wood stove is beyond me too.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links