How TO Plug Up a Toilet??
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on How TO Plug Up a Toilet?? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Heya! Been lurking for awhile, first post, please be gentle.... I live in a suburban area in Northern California. Since I can't prep for it, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How TO Plug Up a Toilet??

Heya! Been lurking for awhile, first post, please be gentle....

I live in a suburban area in Northern California. Since I can't prep for it, I'm not planning on how to deal with the End of the World. Also, bugging out is not really a viable option, unless my residence becomes uninhabitable. I AM pretty well set to live without utilities (natural gas, electricty, water, etc.) for a period in excess of 3 months. Think Bug In.

One thing bothering me, which I haven't figured out yet: sooner or later, the sewers will overflow and back up into people's houses, including mine. I've read about installing a backflow valve in the sewer line, which is an expense I can't afford at this point. SO, if YOU had to bug in, how would you plug / block the toilets (and sinks) in your home to prevent sewage from backing up, or being forced from the main line into your house? I'd prefer to avoid removing the toilets if necessary, but, all suggestions are welcome.

NOTE: fuel, water, food, shelter, firearms are all easy. Maintaining hygiene and sanitation- a bit more difficult, becasue, it's gotta go somewhere. Including the stuff in the sewers when the sewage treatment plant stops working.

Thanks in advance for your ideas. And, please, keep it real. This is the one area that's got me stumped.

first guess (talking long turm shtf) a bag of concrete in the bowl and dont flush lol

other than that, it's a bit of luck, most systems rely on gravity... and have backups in place to prevent the nasty crap coming back through the lines...

other options, work out where your septic line goes... and find a good spot away from the house, and blow the mofo up... (it will sever the connection without using all that digging power)

another, is learn how to.connect a ball valve (cheap as) and when shtf, install it (won't be fun) but will guarantee no backups...
    Montana Rancher likes this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

The concrete in the toilet and any drains works for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

roy

For the most part sewage systems work on gravity flow. Your toilet will flush if there is water to flush it. No need to plug anything.

Somewhere you have to have an access to the sewer; if you don't you have a different problem ...

BUt anyway - best way to plug your sewer is to take a plastic bag, a heavy duty contractors bag would probably be best, stuff it full of wrags/towels or other cloth. Ball it up and stuff it into the access so that it plugs up the pipe, tamp it down nice and tight.

You can also tie some rope around it to help make extraction easier at a later point.

Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    For the most part sewage systems work on gravity flow. Your toilet will flush if there is water to flush it. No need to plug anything.
    As long as your on top of the hill.

In Milwaukee nearly every time they have a big rain it backs up in people homes
    Strong bag of sand packed real tight should do it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Never had a problem clogging a toilet if ya know what I'm saying!

How TO  Plug Up a Toilet??-clogged-toilet.jpg
    Inor, Old SF Guy, GTGallop and 3 others like this.

You can go to your local plumbing supply store and by a test ball take it home and open up your clean out drop in and air it up with a compressor and your done .Cherne Test Balls
    Seneca likes this.
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Revolutions Started, Lions Tamed,
    Assassinations Plotted, Bars Emptied,
    Governments Run, Widows Wooed,
    Uprisings Quelled, Wars Fought, Golf Matches Fixed,
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen View Post
    Never had a problem clogging a toilet if ya know what I'm saying!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clogged toilet.jpg 
Views:	4316 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	3865
    Agreed... That and conquering the fan are child's play. But in '87 at a Rolling Stones Concert I once plugged a porta john.
    Inor and Slippy like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links