Nuclear and Pandemic Preparations - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Nuclear and Pandemic Preparations

This is a discussion on Nuclear and Pandemic Preparations within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Good looking setup you got there @MaterialGeneral, nice to see those M85 bags are in good shape, nice rapid deployment kit you got there and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Nuclear and Pandemic Preparations

Good looking setup you got there @MaterialGeneral, nice to see those M85 bags are in good shape, nice rapid deployment kit you got there and beats the hell out of shoving JSLIST stuff into a bag - had a couple smocks I threw away, kind of regret it now.

I need to get more setups like that, especially for a pandemic-like environment like you mentioned, would suck to go out on a supply run and then you catch Super AIDs from scratching yourself on a door - I do not believe we will see insidious full-blown Hollywood style 'the-air-is-poisoned' pandemics, but with the advent of heavily resistant bacterial strains and highly mutated serotypes of viruses, I am not taking my chance. The mister for quick DECON is a good idea too, I have been shifting my medical preps towards being much more purposeful and sanitary and stocked up on ChloraPrep, Nitrile gloves, masks, and I keep some 400mL vials filled with hydrogen peroxide and sterlie cath syringes for wound debridement

Have you worked any drills for getting into the gear, I forgot the actual numbers but it was something like mask on in 15 seconds and full suit on in 60 seconds after that...only did it in basic, always shitcanned that MOPP/CBRN stuff in SOF units, who knows why.

As for shielding from radiation - you will need purpose built fortifications to resist the heavier radiation - Gamma/X-Ray, the other waves can be beaten with sandbags, detritus, aluminum siding, etc IIRC - you will need tons of reinforced concrete to avoid getting fried but for fallout and heavy particles you should be fine...either way if you're in the direct blast area kiss your ass goodbye.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    @MaterielGeneral You seem to have a handle on this subject. A while back Homeland Sec warned the public to have duct tape and plastic sheeting on hand for emergencies. Is this of any use for rad or bio threats, do you think?
    If you live within mile of a chemical plant, highway or rail road having a room ready with pre-cut plastic and tape ready to go is recommended by FEMA. Chemical plant has a release or an accidnt th tget inside and tape yourself in then wait till you hear the all clear. Most likely only a few hours.
    sideKahr and OrneryOldBat like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I prep for a lot but not for this. Closest plant is 350 miles downwind. Nice looking kit, though. Thanks for the info.
    I know where you are coming from but keep in mind that the wind will carry fallout. 350 miles is pretty short when it comes to the wind. If your not interested in nuclear threats then what about a pandemic event? If there is a serious bug going around how will you protect yourself?
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@MaterielGeneral You seem to have a handle on this subject. A while back Homeland Sec warned the public to have duct tape and plastic sheeting on hand for emergencies. Is this of any use for rad or bio threats, do you think?
    Yes I have duct tape and packing tape to secure the plastic sheeting. I would assume it would be for both. In both cases you would want to block all the heavy drafts that you can, as soon as you can. Both threats lower in time though.
    sideKahr likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Basements are real useful when it comes to nuclear threats.
    sideKahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Israel has used the "hide in a bathroom, plastic of window/door and seal with duct tape" for years.
    It works for chemical spills. Not so much for radiation. Radiation requires shielding, really thick
    shielding, see the pix.
    Attachment 38057
    Attachment 38065
    Basement are real useful when it comes to nuclear events.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    Have you worked any drills for getting into the gear

As for shielding from radiation - you will need purpose built fortifications to resist the heavier radiation - Gamma/X-Ray, the other waves can be beaten with sandbags, detritus, aluminum siding, etc IIRC - you will need tons of reinforced concrete to avoid getting fried but for fallout and heavy particles you should be fine...either way if you're in the direct blast area kiss your ass goodbye.
    No, no drills at this time. Family sucks when it comes to prepping. I agree with you about the shielding. For those that do not know, get out of the area or bunker down in a basement. If you have fallout on you get it off of you ASAP if you have a suit on then change ASAP. To decontaminate against fallout it is as basic as taking a shower and using soap.

When it comes down to pandemic this is how real it gets. Watch this video from Dr. Bones/Alton, Norovirus: The Stomach Flu Epidemic. This is just one example how contagious virus's can be. He gives an example of someone that threw up in a restaurant and how people got sick afterwards. This is some crazy stuff.

Bump.

Watch the video

The US has a lot of Norovirus activity in normal times. Currently the CDC is reporting widespread illness from Norovirus.

Wash hands. Try not to go out if your community when there is an out break. If you have to go out wipe down the shopping cart and do not touch surfaces like door knobs, toilet handles , hand rails , elevator buttons. Use an elbow to push the button or simply ask another person standing next to the buttons to push the button for your floor/ carry a tissue push the button and toss it .

Wash your hands at every opportunity try not to touch your face when you are out . never eat unless you wash your hands. Use hand sanitizers when out and about.

An inexpensive hand sanitizer add a little glycerin to a bottle of rubbing alcohol make it as thick as you like. I use a table spoon to a bottle of 90 percent strength rubbing alcohol to make mine.

Once you are sick stay home. Call others and warn them not to visit. Throw tissue trash away routinely , clean up vomit / feces then sanitize with a bleach solution or steam. You need something have it delivered, sit on the porch and ring the bell but do not come in or touch . Stay hydrated with sports drinks or pediolite . Once the vomiting is over continue to clean and sanitize . Steam car seats, chairs, carpet and again bleach solution everything you can.
    stowlin and MaterielGeneral like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links