Bugging our by Bike - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bugging our by Bike

This is a discussion on Bugging our by Bike within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Limit Killer I do a fair bit of bikepacking in the mountains, it's a great way to cover ground and see the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Bugging our by Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Killer View Post
    I do a fair bit of bikepacking in the mountains, it's a great way to cover ground and see the country. I just use a couple 10L dry bags strapped to the bike and a small backpack. It's also great for hunting as a quiet way to cover ground.

For a bugout situation I'd assume we will only have the tank of gas we leave with so the bikes will be coming with us for as long as possible.
    Wow! I admire you! You can't carry much in a backpack biking through the mountains, but you seem to get by alright. Sometimes when I'm hiking in New Hampshire, a dirt biker will come tearing through over the rocks (They're everywhere.) and tangled roots. I really admire their skill and agility.

I see you're a bow hunter; I am too. My question about you hunting in the mountains is: how do you carry your meat back on a bicycle? I suppose it's at least mostly downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshinedave View Post
    Question about the choice of bikes, I notice everyone has the multi geared bikes, which everyone knows the advantage of. However, on the flip side, the old one speed, like we had many many years ago, were more dependable, less things to go wrong. Is that a consideration?
    I find derailleurs a pain in the ass, especially where they can get obstructed by vegetation. You can get an internal gear bicycle hub instead. Do you remember the 3 speed bikes we used to have as kids, with a pull-chain that comes out of the back wheel hub? Those are fantastic. Once you set them up, they never need to be adjusted again, you don't need to be delicate with them, and they come in up to 8 speeds.

In prepper lore, there's a lot of advice about how to bug-out by car, but I rarely see suggestions to bring bikes along in a bike rack. If you're stranded in a parking lot that used to be a highway, bikes would be an ideal way to continue on to your bug-out location. A fold-able child cart would be necessary too if you have young children along. Motorcycles are only for 2 people, at most. My wife and I have 2 daughters still living with us. We have 4 bikes with bike racks, and front and rear baskets to attach to them. We've gone on local trips with our bikes, and we can carry a lot of stuff!

If you want to use a bicycle to get to your bug-out location, and you plan to travel by road, you might want to consider getting a cargo bike with solid tires. You can easily carry 200 lbs. without balancing problems, and you never need to worry about a flat tire. I'm building one around a cargo bike frame, (which is pretty cheap), piece by piece.
    TG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    Wow! I admire you! You can't carry much in a backpack biking through the mountains, but you seem to get by alright. Sometimes when I'm hiking in New Hampshire, a dirt biker will come tearing through over the rocks (They're everywhere.) and tangled roots. I really admire their skill and agility.

I see you're a bow hunter; I am too. My question about you hunting in the mountains is: how do you carry your meat back on a bicycle? I suppose it's at least mostly downhill.
    If I'm just bikepacking, no hunting, I can usually get by without a back pack in the summer. If I'm using my bike for hunting day trips closeish to the car, I'll use a 40L pack with food, water and kill kit in it. If I'm going back country I use the bike bags and wear a 70L pack.

So far the only meat I've packed out is snowshoe hares and grouse lol But if my spring bear plan comes together I'll be anywhere from 10-20 km into the back country when I fill my tag and I'll find out how well it works.

Raise the limits.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links