Are People No Longer Prepping? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are People No Longer Prepping?

This is a discussion on Are People No Longer Prepping? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I claim the hawgrider defense. I thought it was a statement too. I shall now go flog myself as penance. (Wonder if hippie chick from ...

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree537Likes

Thread: Are People No Longer Prepping?

I claim the hawgrider defense. I thought it was a statement too.

I shall now go flog myself as penance.

(Wonder if hippie chick from disqus is around...)
    Denton likes this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Still increasing my stores in several areas .... call it what you want, I call it being aware.
    Denton and Prepared One like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I'll give you my 2 cents worth, since you asked & since you are a moderator and part of the site administration. I'm relatively new here but a long time, very hard core prepper. IMO, this site has an identity crisis. If you want to know what I mean, hit the link for active topics. What would a newcomer, browsing the discussions, surmise this forum is about. Is it right wing politics or prepping? If the newcomer was looking for validation of his right wing views, he may stay for awhile, buy maybe look elsewhere as the election concluded. If the newcomer was not interested in politics but just wanted to learn & pass on their knowledge, they might easily go away due to the nature of the politics openly discussed.

I understand many here are very right wing, and that is fine. But you must realize prepping is not the exclusive domain of conservatives. I'm personally middle of the road... very conservative on some topics, less so on others. Note this is the last I will say about my political views. But there are plenty of folks that lean liberal that also prep & also love guns. My point is, all the politics discussed openly here, especially the hateful thread titles, will run off many folks, some conservatives but lots of folks middle of the political spectrum. I happen to have thick skin and learned my lesson here real quick about joining a political discussion. I'll never do that again and was exceedingly hesitant to answer your question. Only reason I am doing so is because I believe in giving back.

I've moderated forums in the past & would not begin to ask you or other site admin to add work for you by adding rules & policing them. But my suggestion would be to separate the politics from the prepping, so that preppers not interested in political hate could find a home here and preppers wanting to spend time discussing politics could do so in their own place (maybe private subforum).

Thank you for what you & the others do here. I know it is not easy & not always fun.

I'll offer these comments in response.

When you share prepping ideas, you are bound to get in discussions abut the "Why". Remember it is an election year for a country in distress. Its expected.

Politics is under a titled section .... as is prophesy. Instead of clicking on active topics, one can choose his/her area of interest.

Many of us here have discussed and shared prepping ideas as well debated BOB's for a while .... Now we just do it.

Me? Still watching.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    I'll offer these comments in response.

When you share prepping ideas, you are bound to get in discussions abut the "Why". Remember it is an election year for a country in distress. Its expected.

Politics is under a titled section .... as is prophesy. Instead of clicking on active topics, one can choose his/her area of interest.
    You are correct however I normally find the most expeditious method of finding new discussion on various topics, on any forum, is to hit the recent posts or active topics button. Now if I was only interested in one single category here, say food preservation, then yes, I could simply go straight there. With me, I have varied interests when it comes to prepping.

But keep in mind this is not a complaint... it is a response to an inquiry from an administrator regarding decreasing site visitation. I learned long ago that if it is not my sandbox, that I have two choices... stay & play by their rules or leave. I personally love the prepping discussions here & ignore the discussions that don't appeal to me. My comments are solely to maybe explain why some folks might stay away. Just my opinion and thought the admin here might appreciate it coming from a new member. If you note, I'm not the only poster here stating this. But as I said, this is their sandbox and they can operate this site however they wish.

Please continue to watch.
    Last edited by Redneck; 12-08-2016 at 06:13 PM.

If I were curious about unicorns, tree hugging and such, I'd expect the political tempo of those sites to be left leaning and Trump hating. Just kind of the way things are within certain communities. Generally speaking, of course
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

You are correct however I normally find the most expeditious method of finding new discussion on various topics, on any forum, is to hit the recent posts or active topics button. Now if I was only interested in one single category here, say food preservation, then yes, I could simply go straight there. With me, I have varied interests when it comes to prepping.

But keep in mind this is not a complaint... it is a response to an inquiry from an administrator regarding decreasing site visitation. I learned long ago that if it is not my sandbox, that I have two choices... stay & play by their rules or leave. I personally love the prepping discussions here & ignore the discussions that don't appeal to me. My comments are solely to maybe explain why some folks might stay away. Just my opinion and thought the admin here might appreciate it coming from a new member. If you note, I'm not the only poster here stating this. But as I said, this is their sandbox and they can operate this site however they wish.

Please continue to watch.
    Like you, I read the threads that interest me and pass on the one's that don't.

I also know that there are a variety of things that could, can and will happen. Both natural and man made. So, like Watchman, I keep watch and do what I do.
    Prepared One likes this.

Being aware of what is happening is a major part of prepping. Hiding our heads in the sand would do no good. Current events raise the likely hood of civil unrest. The ability to defend your self and others is a big part of prepping it you see the possibility of civil unrest coming. Even while you pray it never comes to that.
    Denton, Prepared One and Joe like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I admit that I feel a sense of optimism that I haven't felt in a while, mostly because I believe our 2A rights won't be under attack for the next fir years. At least not by president and congress but this hasn't changed what I do it just feels better while I go about my day. I also don't have a lot of faith that much will change in the big political picture so time to carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Denton likes this.

I'll give you my 2 cents worth, since you asked & since you are a moderator and part of the site administration. I'm relatively new here but a long time, very hard core prepper. IMO, this site has an identity crisis. If you want to know what I mean, hit the link for active topics. What would a newcomer, browsing the discussions, surmise this forum is about. Is it right wing politics or prepping? If the newcomer was looking for validation of his right wing views, he may stay for awhile, buy maybe look elsewhere as the election concluded. If the newcomer was not interested in politics but just wanted to learn & pass on their knowledge, they might easily go away due to the nature of the politics openly discussed.

I understand many here are very right wing, and that is fine. But you must realize prepping is not the exclusive domain of conservatives. I'm personally middle of the road... very conservative on some topics, less so on others. Note this is the last I will say about my political views. But there are plenty of folks that lean liberal that also prep & also love guns. My point is, all the politics discussed openly here, especially the hateful thread titles, will run off many folks, some conservatives but lots of folks middle of the political spectrum. I happen to have thick skin and learned my lesson here real quick about joining a political discussion. I'll never do that again and was exceedingly hesitant to answer your question. Only reason I am doing so is because I believe in giving back.

I've moderated forums in the past & would not begin to ask you or other site admin to add work for you by adding rules & policing them. But my suggestion would be to separate the politics from the prepping, so that preppers not interested in political hate could find a home here and preppers wanting to spend time discussing politics could do so in their own place (maybe private subforum).

Thank you for what you & the others do here. I know it is not easy & not always fun.
    Well snowflake, as they say, take what you want and leave the rest.

I am not here to "convert" anybody to being a prepper. Most of those who pay attention to where our society is going are already here. Those who are not? Oh well.. (And that is not a political statement. I do not give a crap about who you voted for.)
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Super Moderator

Sorry, but the last response to this thread was from my phone. I'm not good at typing on it.

I'm home from work, now, and can respond on my laptop.

When I said someone didn't read the article to which I linked, I was talking to you. Take the time to read the article so that you can understand what I was really asking.

You've moderated sites, you say. That being the case, you know you can click the active topics, or you can click the "What's New" button, or you can simply go to whatever sub forum interests you. Also, you can add your own knowledge or you can ask questions, yourself.

The conversation flow is up to the membership. Simple as that. We are not like other boards where the conversations are controlled, suppressed or deleted. Want to steer the conversation? Start an interesting thread.

Oh, and as a moderated on many forums, you've been around long enough to know how irritating it is when people add to a thread without responding to the actual topic, which in this case, was the link to an article.
    OakOwl and hag like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links