What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF?

This is a discussion on What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Local farm and feed store here has bulk seeds where I can buy ounces of seeds for what the seed companies sell you in less ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF?

Local farm and feed store here has bulk seeds where I can buy ounces of seeds for what the seed companies sell you in less than gram packets. The 2016 seeds are now 1/2 price. Many vegetable seeds store for 3 or more years, I stock up on those cheap. I only buy non-hybrid seeds I've planted in the past.

another source - it says seeds viable in a container for 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Local farm and feed store here has bulk seeds where I can buy ounces of seeds for what the seed companies sell you in less than gram packets. The 2016 seeds are now 1/2 price. Many vegetable seeds store for 3 or more years, I stock up on those cheap. I only buy non-hybrid seeds I've planted in the past.
    I'm got seeds started that I bought about 5 years ago. They have been stored in the frig.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We put up a pretty significant garden to feed the family each year. I have all kinds of seeds, some heirloom, some not. Seeds tend to store pretty well if take care of. While I do plan for the future, I recently planted a 1/2 acre of sunflowers just for the heck of it. My family enjoys watching them grow and while it is great to plan for the future, it is important to live in the present and enjoy life.
    inceptor likes this.

I have a small garden area, but I grow a lot of food in it. It does requires quite some effort to get going on the first place. Some companies sell seeds in cans, they are way cheaper than buying the small packets. I have some fruit trees as well, and does take a few years to start producing.
    My best take is to invest in plants you can propagate without seeds (like sweet potatoes, kale), or the greens that regrow after you cut them. As for tomatoes, that little cherry tomatoes grow like weeds around here.
    If I had the space, I would have one avocado tree in the garden, those produce a lot of fruit, without much work for me.
    And yet, some people think that gardening is too much work. Well, it is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links