What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF?

This is a discussion on What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Heirloom and Organic are both buzz words, like cage free chickens in California, yeah they are cage free but they walk and lay their eggs ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What seeds are good to buy for when the SHTF?

Super Moderator

Heirloom and Organic are both buzz words, like cage free chickens in California, yeah they are cage free but they walk and lay their eggs in poop.

Basically you want a seed that grows into a plant that if you harvested the seeds from would grow you back the same plant and fruit/vegitable.

I planted a Hybrid Alfalfa seeds in a small area that I wanted the horses to graze in, and they grew great, however every year since then they produce a wiry shrub plant with very small leaves.

So most garden seeds will state that they are hybrid, go for the Heirloom seeds.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Heirloom and Organic are both buzz words, like cage free chickens in California, yeah they are cage free but they walk and lay their eggs in poop.

Basically you want a seed that grows into a plant that if you harvested the seeds from would grow you back the same plant and fruit/vegitable.

I planted a Hybrid Alfalfa seeds in a small area that I wanted the horses to graze in, and they grew great, however every year since then they produce a wiry shrub plant with very small leaves.

So most garden seeds will state that they are hybrid, go for the Heirloom seeds.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Rancher
    Ah but there is a major difference between GMO and hybrid. A hybrid seed is just a crossbreed, not genetically modified. Here is a good explanation

The Difference Between Hybrid Seeds and GMOs | SFF

Super Moderator

Double Post... sorry!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Ah but there is a major difference between GMO and hybrid. A hybrid seed is just a crossbreed, not genetically modified. Here is a good explanation
    I agree, although I've never tried to re-seed a GMO plant, I understand that Monsanto is suing farmers who have fields adjacent to GMO seeded fields, so they may propagate as the same plant. Cross breeding is fun, try crossing 2 different corn plants.... indian corn, which is probably where they got their original roots... so to speak.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Organic is always good but what the others were talking about is Heirloom seeds. Monsanto and others have a lock on regular seeds. GMO (genetically modified organism) seeds are modified and produce no reproductive seeds. The GMO parts bothers me but even more than that is the fact that the modified organisms produce no seeds for you to sow again. The point is you have to keep buying product for them every time you want to replant.

The amount is up to you. I'm a firm believer in more is better.
    Thank-you brother
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    Thank-you brother
    I just started getting into this a few months ago. I needed to know the difference for myself so I did the research.

Organic, is that what I need to be looking at?
    How many seeds do you guys have? They seem to sell them in this place I just found in NZ in packs of 15.
    I know that is a terrible question, but I have no idea what a decent amount is.
    Depends on the type of plant. Carrots or beets usually have hundreds in a pack. Not sure exactly how many, but lots of little seeds. also buy plants that will produce throughout the growing season, and produce for a long time. For instance bush beans are meant to be harvested with a machine and produce all of the green beans in a short amount of time, vs. the pole beans which produce green beans all summer long. For survival you would want some plants that produce early spring, others throughout the summer and into late fall.

But seriously, don't just store seeds away and plan to read the instructions and learn to plant if you need them during shtf. That would be a recipe for absolute disaster. If you don't know how to prepare the soil, water properly, etc...you would probably lose the entire harvest. It isn't the type of thing you want to try when there are no resources to ask, or stores to buy fertilizers, bug sprays, tools etc...from.
    Last edited by Sonya; 11-21-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Jackangus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Depends on the type of plant. Carrots or beets usually have 100+ in a pack. Not sure exactly how many, but lots of little seeds.

But seriously, don't just store seeds away and plan to read the instructions and learn to plant if you need them during shtf. That would be a recipe for absolute disaster. If you don't know how to prepare the soil, water properly, etc...you would probably lose the entire harvest. It isn't the type of thing you want to try when there are no resources to ask, or stores to buy fertilizers, bug sprays, tools etc...from.
    Now ain't that the truth. I just got into gardening about August. I did a fall planting. The only thing growing well for me right now is herbs. But I had to start somewhere. I have learned a few things so far and the lessons are far from over. But, I'll get this yet.
    Sonya and Slippy like this.

I want to buy some seeds, but I have heard some are not good to buy for reasons that I am not smart enough to know.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Also somewhere I could buy these seeds? A site that would send to New Zealand. I really struggle to find good prep stuff here.

Much appreciated fellow preppers.
    https://www.cannabis-seeds-store.co..../prod_461.html

How do you store seeds for a long time?
    Can they last for 20+ years?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links