Communication Devices (Police Scanners, Radios, CBs)
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Communication Devices (Police Scanners, Radios, CBs) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm looking to get a good scanner for my BOV so I can keep track of disasters in my area. I want something legal, not ...

I'm looking to get a good scanner for my BOV so I can keep track of disasters in my area. I want something legal, not confusing, and not $300 bucks. I'm thinking something like $50 $75 bucks should do a trick. Mainly wanting to hear radio talk about any wrecks, break ins, drowings in my area. My goal is to help out the locals in my area if I hear of an event around me. Recommendations?

Re: Communication Devices (Police Scanners, Radios, CBs)

If you're buying new, it'll be hard to get anything in that price range that isn't disappointing. I've purchased some good used scanners on ebay in that price range, but only after knowing exactly what I was looking for and getting a good feel for the integrity of the seller.

My recommendation would be the Uniden BC-95XLT Bearcat.

http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_.../10-501105.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-BC-95...item1c1cd6983d

Before you buy any scanner, email a place that sells the model(s) you're interested in and tell them what transmissions you want to monitor. They can verify that what you're looking at will provide the service you need.
    The smithy’s anvil rings with woe.
    Swords for soldiers row on row.
    Against the nobles they must stand.
    And for their souls take back the land.
    AnvilIron

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by survival
    I'm looking to get a good scanner for my BOV so I can keep track of disasters in my area. I want something legal, not confusing, and not $300 bucks. I'm thinking something like $50 $75 bucks should do a trick. Mainly wanting to hear radio talk about any wrecks, break ins, drowings in my area. My goal is to help out the locals in my area if I hear of an event around me. Recommendations?
    Keep in mind many agencies have switched to encoded digital transmissions and civilian scanners often do not pick up on the signal type. I know here where I live they went encrypted under some lame excuse. Even the fire and ambulance stuff is going secure digital it seems, do some research into this before buying would be my two cents. I wonder if you could find a HAM to fit a car?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks all, this is a start for me. I plan on putting up some antennas on my windmill tower here in a few months when it finally goes up. I'm on section 5 of 8 of the tower right now (been working on it in the shed at night). I guess that will be another question someday (on what antennas I should get for the towers). $100 bucks is a go with this as well, I just didn't want to invest $300 on something that I had no clue on how to operate. Also, one of my friends is the fire chief in this area and I'll ask him if they are encrypted.

Sponsored Links