Don't Forget Tools
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Don't Forget Tools

This is a discussion on Don't Forget Tools within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I rarely see tools discussed as a prepper necessity, but having the right tools would be pretty important if you expected to scrape out a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Don't Forget Tools

Mod Squad

Don't Forget Tools

I rarely see tools discussed as a prepper necessity, but having the right tools would be pretty important if you expected to scrape out a living in any post-SHTF world.

Let's talk about what kinds of tools you might need.

Farming/Gardening tools: shovels, hoe, garden fork, sickle, shears, scythe, harvest baskets

Mechanic's tools: wrenches, socket set, hex keys, torx drivers, feeler gauges, screwdrivers, cold chisels, pin punches, hammers, needle nose pliers, vise grips, slip joint pliers

Carpentry tools: crosscut saw, coping saw, claw hammer, square, level, plumb bob, tape measure, auger and bits, staple gun

Electrical tools: multimeter, diagonal cutters, wire strippers, soldering iron and solder, crimpers, more screwdrivers

Demolition tools: sledge hammer, pry bars

Machinist/Fabrication tools: dial calipers, v-blocks, scales, surface plate, some sort of welding or brazing rig, aviation snips, files, anvil, more hammers, clamps, a vise, center punch, pin punches, transfer punches, screw transfer set, some way to drill holes

This is just a short list of stuff off the top of my head. It should be obvious that this stuff won't all fit into a BOB, and that not all of these items are absolutely essential. I would say that not having tools would put you in the stone age, but cavemen had tools. (Monkeys use tools too) If you you are serious about long term survival, you should think about the tools you will need.

Please add to this list as needed, thanks!
    Inor and rickkyw1720pf like this.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Heck, I thought this subject was a no-brainer. But then, you should see my garage.

A good Axe, and a way to sharpen a good axe. I do not expect to be returned to the stone age, but if a person was, and could only grab one thing, you'll be hard pressed to find a better choice than a good axe, from a weapon, a building tool, and something to help cook food or keep you from freezing to death.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My other "passion" beyond prepping is woodworking - usually with hand tools since I am into making the 18th century furniture styles. So, just to add a few wood specific tools that I would not want to do without:

- A good set of bench chisels.

- A good set of Japanese saws (crosscut, rip, dovetail, and flushcut). The rip saw and the crosscut are usually the same saw in Japanese saws. One side is rip the other crosscut. What I like about them is they all cut on the draw stroke rather than the push stroke like an English saw. Thus, they are far more accurate and the kerf is much thinner.

- Several good sets of sharpening stones. I use Japanese water stones for my bench chisels, Arkansas oil stones for my carving chisels, and diamond stones for my turning chisels, saw blades, and router bits. If I had to pick only one forever, I would go with the Arkansas oil stones. The water stones work faster, but they also wear out MUCH faster since it is not the stone that cuts the metal, but rather the slurry that builds up on the stone as you sharpen.

- A set of good plane irons (blades). I would say a good set of hand planes, but those are crazy expensive (around $150+ each), so unless you are a hardcore woodworker who will use the planes today, that is a bit overpriced. But the irons are relatively cheap ($20-$40) each. And with a good iron, you can make the rest of the plane from wood, brass or hot rolled steel really easily.

- A set of scrapers. Scrapers were used instead of sandpaper until almost 1900. They tear the hell out of your stomach and front leg muscles if you are out of shape, but they also give a much better surface on your work than sandpaper. They are also a bit tough on the finger joints unless you make a jig for them, but that is at least tolerable.

Someday, I will write a post that is specific to woodworker prepping and what I think every prepper that expects to make his way post-SHTF as a woodworker should have on hand or be able to make.

Senior Member R.I.P.

A cordless drill with some good bits & variety of screws & mean for recharging the batteries.

Instead of a generator you may want to think about getting a welder/generator like a Miller Bobcat. Tools I think that are absolutely necessary to work on old vehicles with a lot of rusty bolts are. Welder, oxy acetylene torch with welding attachments air compressor and impact wrench and various air tools and penetrating oil. Another very handy thing to have is a Porto-Power Body Repair Kit with a 10 ton ram.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    A cordless drill with some good bits & variety of screws & mean for recharging the batteries.
    I am not sure about the cordless drill. I have regular drills that last 20 years under heavy use. But I haven't had much luck with cordless drills lasting more the a couple of years, usually it the batteries that go bad and new batteries cost as much as buying a new drill with batteries. The industry standard in drills seem to be Milwaukee 1/2in Magnum Hole Shooter.

Mod Squad

Inor, oh hell yes. I used to make reproductions of antiques too, and had a fine selection of planes including quite a few molding planes. Keep yer router, give me the gentle swoosh swoosh swoosh of a well tuned plane any day.

We might as well add a spokeshave and drawknife to the list too.

As Moonshinedave mentioned, a good axe is a must have. Might as well add some way to move logs too: block and tackle, good ropes, come-along, and a good cant hook.
    Inor likes this.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Mod Squad

I'm getting this mental image of a stone age man walking past a big pile of rocks and acting like a modern man in the Craftsman tool section of Sears. His wife, disgusted, says, "I'll never get you out of here, if you want me, I'll be looking at the the furs."
    MrsInor and hayden like this.

Prepadoodle - thanks for a great laugh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links