Are you really going to be able to defend yourself if SHTF etc? - Page 10
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are you really going to be able to defend yourself if SHTF etc?

This is a discussion on Are you really going to be able to defend yourself if SHTF etc? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The Prepared Mind YouTube channel did an interesting video on the "hordes" targeting preppers in shtf and how a semi-organized group of dozens of raiders ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree278Likes

Thread: Are you really going to be able to defend yourself if SHTF etc?

The Prepared Mind YouTube channel did an interesting video on the "hordes" targeting preppers in shtf and how a semi-organized group of dozens of raiders can easily overrun a small peeper group. You have guns but so will they. Can you really fortify your urban, suburban or even rural home in this scenario? He doesn't really provide an answer but contemplates strategies these type of people might use and the viability of surviving sustained attacks.

Beyond a nuclear or biological attack/outbreak I plan to bug-in in my suburban neighborhood. My only thought is to organize your group or community and actively patrol beyond your area and have controlled access or check points. Take the fight outward as you will surely die with the Alamo mindset. Difficulty is trying to organize a medium size group and being able to sustain that group without becoming marauders yourself. Even though I could arm and sustain 6-8 people for a few months, that surely isn't larger enough to deter or counter a larger force. Hiberniason, also on YouTube, talks about tactics in shtf.

Last edited by jagular; 10-27-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagular View Post
    The Prepared Mind YouTube channel did an interesting video on the "hordes" targeting preppers in shtf and how a semi-organized group of dozens of raiders can easily overrun a small peeper group. You have guns but so will they. Can you really fortify your urban, suburban or even rural home in this scenario? He doesn't really provide an answer but contemplates strategies these type of people might use and the viability of surviving sustained attacks.

I agree, small peeper groups are screwed in this scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    Nothing I do will make me 21 years old again. I am old, tired, worn out, worn down... but when need be... I can be mean nasty
    Do not F-- - with old men (or women that are agedly challenged). They've been there, and already have the T-Shirt. And most figure they've got nothing to lose and will go down swinging to the last
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Prepared Mind YouTube channel did an interesting video on the "hordes" targeting preppers in shtf and how a semi-organized group of dozens of raiders can easily overrun a small peeper group.
    Preparedmind...sheesh...when he isn't chewing on a cigar and fantasizing about the abundance of sex slaves after the apocolypse he is waxing on about "hordes" of crazed people going door to door.

That is complete BS. He claims 50 starving crazed people with guns will go door to door searching for food. Think about that for a moment. What do you think will happen when several dozen armed starving desperate people barge in and only find 3 packs of stale ramen??? They would turn on each other in a heartbeat, that's what. Horde problem solved.
    Last edited by Sonya; 10-27-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch2 View Post
    Our method is to bunk in, with our perimeter security on hand I believe I could hold my own to a relative degree, of course we all have our limitations. One thing my fiance and I are considering doing is using concrete retaining wall blocks ( those ones that look like big concrete lego bricks ) and putting them in front of our house, right up against it. She wants to cover them with dirt make it look somewhat like a raised bed flower bed. But I mean I know my woods around my cabin about as well as anyone, minus my old man. But an attacking force, they're going to be tired more than likely, they won't be the most well prepared for a fire fight. So if I sneak through my woods and set up an ambush on them with my Scar and say ten magazines I would say overall I would have the upper hand. Say a large force came right in my driveway past trees and rocks and what have you, in my cabin I mean I got all of my stuff, my fiance can load guns for me or she can put out some fire. For being a five foot little I-talian gal she sure can shoot, so overall for an attacking force it would not be too advantageous for them to attack my cabin. Paired with my buddy and his fiance I think we could hold our own Alamo pretty well.

Now granted an Apachi helicopter and an AC-130 start unloading on my place no one's place will survive, but tactics for survival are general whether you're in NYC or 100 miles into the Yukon; you cause a commotion and a commotion will be caused for you. Stealth is good overall, but be ready mentally, physically and ammo wise to make sure someone knows you're serious. Who knows maybe when your preps run out and you've relied so heavily on them you can't get a deer, maybe you'll have to put a hole in someone for a can of green beans

From what I have gathered on this blog overall is SOME people are ready to survive by their own means, however what I do believe is from my gathered information is as far as being mentally prepared they're S.O.L in that department. Because they can't justify putting a hole in someone for a can of green beans while their wife or whatever is starving, point blank prepper or not I am going to give my dying breath to make sure my fiance survives an apocalyptic situation. What I do believe is that the strongest will survive, that does not mean the most skilled or most well prepared, that means the person who is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure they and their group survives. From eating dogs, to dog food, to people...
    I'm a peaceful man who doesn't even like to hunt, but I would have no problem putting a 30 caliber bullet thru the brain of anyone who thinks like that.
    Sonya, Coastie dad, Slippy and 3 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Preparedmind...sheesh...when he isn't chewing on a cigar and fantasizing about the abundance of sex slaves after the apocolypse he is waxing on about "hordes" of crazed people going door to door.

That is complete BS. He claims 50 starving crazed people with guns will go door to door searching for food. Think about that for a moment. What do you think will happen when several dozen armed starving desperate people barge in and only find 3 packs of stale ramen??? They would turn on each other in a heartbeat, that's what. Horde problem solved.
    I don't think anyone knows what will happen in an urban shtf. To simply label possibilities as BS is foolish. I also think you are underestimating people and their willingness to survive. Who's also to say that they would only hit a single house in a day? An organized group could easily hit an entire block in a day depending on their leadership and the level of resistance they encounter. If an aggressive group is successful in their endeavors early on then what incentive do they have to turn on each other? I think people are smart enough, in general, to understand they'll potentially do better together vs alone with the wife and children.
    Last edited by jagular; 10-27-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    RedLion likes this.

...I think people are smart enough, in general, to understand they'll potentially do better together vs alone with the wife and children.
    Sheet son, you done gone and made the quintessential mistake, but then you again you might be a single man?

The reality is...Seal Team 6 ain't got a snowball's chance in hell against the likes of a healthy wife on some Raging Ass Hormonal PMS or menopausal condition!

You boys out there know what I'm talkin' 'bout right?
    hawgrider and 6811 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT E View Post
    Digging holes are for the birds....Its an extreme waste of energy....I'll bury nobody
    SGT E, My holes aren't just to bury bodies. In fact I hope I don't have to bury anyone. Because the only body burying I will be doing will be our own dead. The other dead will be dragged off so I don't have to as you said waste any energy on them, or smell them. My holes are for booby traps, caches, foxholes and concealed hides.
    6811 and Slippy like this.

Beyond a nuclear or biological attack/outbreak I plan to bug-in in my suburban neighborhood. My only thought is to organize your group or community and actively patrol beyond your area and have controlled access or check points. Take the fight outward as you will surely die with the Alamo mindset. Difficulty is trying to organize a medium size group and being able to sustain that group without becoming marauders yourself. Even though I could arm and sustain 6-8 people for a few months, that surely isn't larger enough to deter or counter a larger force. Hiberniason, also on YouTube, talks about tactics in shtf.

this makes sense.... until they run out of soft targets that are nearby... then it turns to hamburger hill at every stop.. in order for hordes to overtake multiple targets continuously, they will need supplies, and transportation..... yes they can fill a house with thousands of rounds from hundreds of guns... lose a dozen guys, and in the end get enough food to last 1/3 of them a week.. and ammo to replace 1/3 of what was expended in the first fight.. do the math.. eventually they are finished.. guerilla tactics to disrupt their transportation and supplies will speed up the process..
    Maol9 likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

yes.. we stormed normandy and took island-by-island in the Pacific..... but we had constant resupply of food, water, equipment, and troops....
    Sonya likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links