Simple Start up: Feed a family of 4 for 1 year, and other tips - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Simple Start up: Feed a family of 4 for 1 year, and other tips

This is a discussion on Simple Start up: Feed a family of 4 for 1 year, and other tips within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by charito Thanks for that caloric info. If I'm not mistaken, caloric intake depends on ones' age, sex and amount of activity one ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Simple Start up: Feed a family of 4 for 1 year, and other tips

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Thanks for that caloric info.
    If I'm not mistaken, caloric intake depends on ones' age, sex and amount of activity one does. As an example, for a middle-aged woman who leads a sedentary life, the recommended calorie intake is at least1,600 calories.
    Sedentary is characterized by having less than 30 minutes physical activity a day.

Folks who think of following this start-up plan can adjust their cache accordingly, depending on how much they'd want to prep for how long, and for how many people.

Adjustment comes easy.
    It's the actual start-up - how to start - that seems to freeze some folks from actually start doing some prep.

As for the pricing......we can't really expect the same. Prices depends where you are.
    Some folks wouldn't be able to do this start-up plan for a year's supply in a month either. It doesn't have to be for a year right away.....it could be for a month, or a week....depending on what you can spare in buying these.
    Some folks are simply hindered by the cost.

The point is to give an idea how to go about it in the most practical, simplest, cheapest way.
    I'm sure there will be other suggestions/articles on how to start - it's just finding what ideas will be most comfortable for you (and your pocketbook).

The beans-and-rice plan is more for long-term. A good foundation to build up on. We love oats. So our foundation includes lots of oats (along with the sugar, salt and cinnamon).

If you're aiming for just a year of food....most canned goods are good for more than that. Just remember to check the best before date. If it'll expire this year, I don't buy them even when they're on sale, unless I plan to use them before they expire.

It's advisable to add vitamin supplements in the plan. Powdered milk and chocolate powder, and other powder mix drinks (protein, energy etc.,) will also have to be looked into.
    You missed the whole point of the post. What you posted won't provide one One person with 600 calories per day much less a family of four. This is a sure recipe for disaster
    Slippy likes this.
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

Here's and excerpt from an article:

How to Stock Your Disaster Pantry (for 1 Month)

"We need to debunk the one-size-fits-all solution to how much food you need," says survival instructor Cody Lundin, author of the excellent disaster-survival manual When All Hell Breaks Loose and pony-tailed star of Dual Survival. "Age, sex, weight, height all factor in. Just ask any mom with three teenage boys who play football if they will eat the same amount of food as her neighbors with younger kids."

The first step is to figure out the basal metabolic rate—the amount of energy a body uses at rest—for each member of your family. Keep in mind that in a disaster situation, people aren't usually at rest, so add more food to compensate. Visit a site like this one to calculate your family's BMR. Our sample family has a husband and wife in their 40s (4400 calories per day), and a son and daughter between 9 and 13 (2400 calories per day). We then added 1000 calories as a cushion, putting our requirements at 7800 calories per day and 234,000 per month.

Remember, you don't have to buy it all at once. Each week, add a few extra items to the shopping list until you've filled up your basement shelves to your satisfaction. We built up a sample store of goods for this photo as a guide to the sorts of foods that store well and could keep a family of four well-fed and sane through the aftermath.

First in First Out (FIFA) is the time-honored rule of thumb when it comes to rotating food in and out of your disaster pantry. Use the year-old bag of white rice for regular meals and resupply your stock with a fresh bag.

What's wrong with 250,000 calories worth of chocolate bars? If that's all you have, then nothing. But because we're talking about preplanning, we filled our pantry with enough food to build a 30-day diet made up of 55 percent carbs, 25 percent fats, and 20 percent protein. That puts us within the 2010 dietary guidelines suggested by the USDA for all age groups.

The downside of all that rice, beans, dried pasta, dried milk, and instant coffee is that it takes water to bring them to life. Our month's pantry requires 78 gallons of water.

Rice and beans can get old, so lay in some guilty pleasures for the kids. A $1 can of SpaghettiOs Meatballs is power packed with energy: 480 calories, 7 grams of fat, 11 grams of protein, and 32 grams of carbs.

"Canned goods are great for a disaster supply," Lundin says. "They're already cooked, they don't need to be heated, you can eat them right out of the can, and they've got an expiration date printed on them."

The first step is to figure out the basal metabolic rate—the amount of energy a body uses at rest—for each member of your family. Keep in mind that in a disaster situation, people aren't usually at rest, so add more food to compensate. Visit a site like this one to calculate your family's BMR. Our sample family has a husband and wife in their 40s (4400 calories per day), and a son and daughter between 9 and 13 (2400 calories per day). We then added 1000 calories as a cushion, putting our requirements at 7800 calories per day and 234,000 per month.

How to Stock Your Disaster Pantry

Of course, don't forget WATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Old Man View Post
    You missed the whole point of the post. What you posted won't provide one One person with 600 calories per day much less a family of four. This is a sure recipe for disaster

No I didn't miss your point. So, the supply is good for three months or so?

ADJUSTMENT.

Buy more, to make it a year!

Anyway, if you read my reply to your post, though the article doesn't say it, I - and several folks who's been prepping - had acknowledged that you've got to build up on it!

That's what this thread is all about - tips!
    I'm sure folks seriously contemplating to start prepping, wouldn't just stop reading after that one article!

You've brought up a very important point about caloric intake....so we're addressing that.

Another thing too, what if there's no power to cook, and you're in the dark?
    You have to have ready-to-eat food on top of that!
    At least that's the way I see it.
    Last edited by charito; 10-04-2016 at 05:05 AM.
    Slippy and inceptor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I used a variation of this list to get started. I knew it wouldn't be a years worth for four people but I also needed a starting point and this gave it to me.

I have built on the list and now truly have a years plus, mostly rotatable and I don't really count the original list and figure it is the back up to the rest of the food.

Droid did it!
    Slippy and charito like this.

@charito ,
    I think its a good list. While it may or may not last 4 people 1 year, it sure is better than a sharp stick in the eye!

Carry on...
    inceptor, charito and acidMia like this.

Super Moderator

Maybe it won't last a year but it's a start. Something is better than nothing.
    charito and acidMia like this.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Ok WTF is Gamma Lids?
    Slippy and acidMia like this.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Urinal Cake View Post
    Ok WTF is Gamma Lids?
    https://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Seal-Li...rds=gamma+lids

Urinal Cake likes this.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Add some dried rose hips......
    I did some checking on this. Please do not suggest rose hips as an alternative to fruit for scurvy! using it (alone) can actually cause conditional scurvy and lots of other things. using it as a supplement MAYBE but DO NOT use it as the alternative too a good diet of fruit

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/vitamin-c-...e-effects.html
    Be a Berean

How To ‘Start Prepping’ When You Feel Overwhelmed

Preparing our families for what lies ahead is one of the most important things we can do. Having food, water, medical supplies and a means (preferably more than one) to defend you and yours can be the difference between getting through the bad times – or not. However, getting started in preparing yourself and your family can be quite overwhelming and discouraging. I’ve been there.

You have to start where you are and with what you can afford.
    Some folks can throw $10,000 right away into preparedness, while others can barely scrape up a couple hundred dollars. At first, focus on four different areas: food, water, medicine and defense. Everything else will come after you have handled this. Store food properly. After you have one month of food, start on another month. So on and so forth.

More......

How To ?Start Prepping? When You Feel Overwhelmed | Off The Grid News
    acidMia likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links