Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Some questions

9K views 86 replies 28 participants last post by  Targetshooter 
#1 ·
I'm an international student, and I am studying American culture. So I have some questions for you:

1. How did you become involved in the prepping subculture?
2. Why do some people feel threaten by preppers?
3. Is there a relationship between prepping and religious belief?

I want to figure out the answers of these questions, so I appreciate to everyone who can answer my questions.

Thank you very much! :D

#2 ·
Probably books of material on that topic. I'll try short answers.

1. It's my belief no society lasts for ever, especially economically, and we've soared too high not to fall some day.
2. Guns, many don't have them most prepared people do, and people are threatened by what they don't know.
3. That's up to the prepared person. There are religious preppers and atheist preppers.

#4 ·
1. Prepping is not a subculture, as everyone preps to some degree.
2. It is illogical to be fearful of people and objects without just cause.
3. Religion can have some to do with why a person preps, but likely secondary to real world concerns such as a very fragile economy.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm an international student, and I am studying American culture. So I have some questions for you:

I want to figure out the answers of these questions, so I appreciate to everyone who can answer my questions.

From your post... am I correct in deriving that you are not a citizen of the US but you are here on a Student Visa?

Edited due to Slippy must be hitting the sauce a little too early in the morning. Thanks! Denton.

Thanks! :vs_wave:

#7 ·
From your post... am I correct in deriving that you are not a citizen of the US but you are here on a Student Visa?

If so, go back to whatever shithole country you came from, immediately. If you choose not to, when I become Supreme Ruler I will personally grab you by the collar and kick your smelly ass back to where ever it was that you came. Capiche?

Thanks! :vs_wave:
Yet the people line up to seriously answer the invaders questions. Things that make you go hmmm.

#6 ·

***I was both a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. My father lived through the depression. I live near the coast in the mid-atlantic where hurricanes or blizzards can happen. Being prepared for something that changes or threatens your life, regardless of what it is, just makes sense.
***Because both the government and the liberal media have painted them negatively...that all preppers are preparing for the "end of times". Also, being prepared may include owning firearms. That is scary for some.
***Not with me.

Your welcome.

#8 · (Edited)
Wait, this site is for Preppers? I thought it was for fans of Dr. Pepper! I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too!

No wonder you guy's say so many crazy things!

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

#23 ·
Alright ....times up and A Watchman is here.

Look, I am gonna assume you are a troll based on your OP, it is too cliché in its inquiry style as compared to previous "one post wonders". Know this, people who are proactive and have a preparedness mindset are the norm, not a subculture.

Now, I am only gonna ask you nicely .... just once. Get lost or reveal yourself s a French college student or a hippie chick.

#12 ·
Prepping subculture. Prepping is not a cultural thing. We are from all walks of life. Some of us are religious, some of us are not. Some are from rural areas while some live in cities.
From ranchers to California surfers, our backgrounds and beliefs are wide and varied.

Prepping might seem like a new thing, but it isn't. Think about it. Where are you from? Do people in your country prepare for natural disasters? Do they can or dry food for the winter?

Today, people who prepare for the future are called "preppers" because the rest of the population assume a couple of things. They assume there will be no long serious disruption of food, water and electricity and if there is, government agencies will be there to save the day.

I first thought of preparing because of Y2K. Nothing major happened, but I remember the IT geeks frantically working to get things ready. There were still a few glitches at ork the next day, but nothing more than minor irritations. That anything happened got me to thinking, "What if?"

#15 ·
Because of the hot chicks. Prepping is the new cool thing

Well we have all the guns, half the food, and most of the hot chicks

Yes, nothing better then clinging to guns, bibles, and hot chicks

Did I mention hot chicks

#16 ·
Because of the hot chicks. Prepping is the new cool thing

Well we have all the guns, half the food, and most of the hot chicks

Yes, nothing better then clinging to guns, bibles, and hot chicks

Did I mention hot chicks
What about hot chicks?

#18 · (Edited)
People prep for many reasons, the two key elements are natural disasters and manmade.

An aware person sees what probabilities can occur in negative events surrounding them, thus prepares for the probabilities and their survival.

Most people go around with their head buried in the sand and become statistics on a chart when such event occurs.

Myself, started due to extreme weather occurrences that left us hungry and frozen 38 years ago, completely prepared for that now and for decades.

Now and for most of the last 25 years, for the social, religious and political decay that has crept across this country,

done with intelligent malignant determination by a controlling force in the shadows.

As we head deeper and deeper into the abyss, assisted by ignorance, social indoctrination and personal greed on a national scale,

no longer contained in the ghettos of the inner cities, people who are willing to sell their souls for a few handout crumbs,

encouraged by the indoctrination of social engineering to accept it happily, they know no better.

#19 ·
1. I would not consider "Prepping" as a Subculture. You have been watching too much TV! "Prepping", as it is commonly called today, is just Common Sense of being prepared for an emergency. This may be having extra food on hand in case of an Ice Storm which prevents you from being able to run to the store, living in the Tornado Belt and having a storm shelter, or having some extra fuel on hand for a generator in case of a blackout for several days. Most people have a Fire Extinguisher in case of a fire, not because they are part of a "Subculture".

2. I don't believe anyone is "Threatened" by preppers. Again, there are a few individuals and groups who are Extreme and TV has tried to make you believe that is what everyone does. I'm not "Threatened" by them, but feel some are just weird. Preparing for Zombies and UFO invasions isn't exactly normal... makes good movies, but not normal.

3. I don't think there is a direct connection between the two. There are Religions that teach self-reliance. The Mormons are the best example, off the top of my head, and you can learn a lot from them. Now, most "Preppers" probably have a tendency to be more religious and conservative than some leach who lives off of the government and expects the tax payers to provide them everything including free healthcare and educations. Ask yourself this, Mr. International Student... Who is going to be the first to die and who will be the ones stealing and looting, the "Preppers" or Non-Preppers? Have you asked the same questions to any group in Israel?

#21 ·
Welcome to PF from NC , USA . the questions you ask are all in the post that have been posted .If you can't find what your looking for we are always here to help you .

Prepping has been going on for centuries , farmers canned , stored meat , veggies from summer crops from the winter . I do it for the feeling of being able to survive .

#22 ·
Jihadist or simply an innocent cute little french girl just looking to write a term paper? You decide...

(Smart money is on jihadist...)

#24 ·
Radiencey, Prepping is not something new for Americans. If you do some research on the history of the US you will find that our grandparents did the same thing. The only thing we did was bring back some of the old ways. I prefer to be referred to as self sufficient not a prepper.

#27 ·
We just try to follow the old Boy Scout motto which is Be Prepared. I used to have quite a few guns but I loaned them to some yankee who took them fishing and when his boat over turned and dumped all of my guns..and his guns into some River up North. So I am still waiting on his insurance agent to mail me a check. Cant buy no more guns till I get that.

#29 ·

1. Because I don't trust politicians or jihadis or illegals or bankers or BLM Thugs

2. Only Liberal politicians and jihadist, illegal, bankers and BLM Thugs
feel threatened by preppers

3. Religion has nothing to do with it. GOD BLESS AMERICA

I hope that will answer all your questions

#34 · (Edited)

1. I was introduced to prepping by my mother. She experienced WW2. Later, I got into prepper sites and modestly prepped for Y2K.

2. Some family members think it's a waste of time and money (which affects the finances of the family), and they become concerned that the prepping member is getting too paranoid, or could be going nuts.
Some people associate preppers with unstable people obsessed with guns, and militia-type of characters.
Preppers are usually portrayed as "looney-types" by media, especially Hollywood movies, and they're stereo-typed or stigmatized.

3. I wasn't thinking of religion when I started prepping. And now, thinking of Jesus' teachings makes me question myself about hoarding without having the intention to help out, and share with those who are in need.
Making preparation is also taught in the Bible, however. (Noah, famine in Egypt etc.,)
I just have to find that balance, to know the righteous thing to do in situations, and on that, I'll have to rely on God for guidance when the time comes.

#35 ·
This is a prepper site? I just come here for the women.

#38 · (Edited)
The media and guberment have changed there perspective on prepping in 70 or so years, my grandparents and parents were encouraged to prepare to take care of themselves in the case of an emergency, now preparing is looked at as a negative because the guberment doesn't want us to be self reliant, to be dependent means they can control, that's why many people and the media portray preppers as out of sink with main stream society. It's not a religion nor a subculture, it's just people using common sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.