fish tanks for water storage?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on fish tanks for water storage? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What are your thoughts on fish tanks for water storage? I have 3 fish tank up and running with fish.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fish tanks for water storage?

What are your thoughts on fish tanks for water storage? I have 3 fish tank up and running with fish..
    Last edited by Catfish Prepper; 05-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.

I wouldn't except in an extreme emergency and even then not without boiling it.With all the waste in an aquarium,it is overflowing with bacteria's (both good and bad),which boiling would sterilize,but the waste and uneaten fish food also produces ammonia,nitrites,nitrates and phosphates.Boiling would only concentrate these toxins.
    Last edited by grinder37; 05-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Though fairly thick glass, its still glass & so fragile. Old fish tanks do make nice mini greenhouses though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes a runing tank if you filter it I dnt see it beeing a bad source of water. I have had 2 55gls running for 2 yrs. And I just set up a 45 gl tank.

If you're talking about a seperate water filter,like a berkey or similar,then yes,I would use it if I had to.

If your talking about the filters on the tank itself,thats where some of the nastiest stuff live as well as a good bit of your denitrifying bacteria.I wouldn't use it as a primary source of water without boiling and further filtering.

I'm an avid aquarist myself including a saltwater reef tank and you would be surprised how much biological/microscopic flora and fauna is going on in a fishtank.So I really wouldn't try it without further filtration.
    Last edited by grinder37; 05-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Yes I'm talking about further filtation. I have a katadyn microfilter, and a katadyn pocket filter in my bob..

In that case,i'd say "good to go".

Alright, I've been thinking why not enjoy your water storage! Like I said I've had tanks for a while now but never thought about the tank itself as a source of water... I do have 113 gl of water stored but with the tanks its 268gls.. thanks for info though.

Filtering the water then boiling the crap out of it maybe ok. But it would be like eating a salad after seeing a dead fly in it.

I just bit the bullet and bought 4 new 55 gal. drums from EMERGENCY ESSENTIALS $75.95 per drum but they only charged $12.00 shipping for all four. I had a couple of 30 gal drums that I cleaned out but I feel a lot more comfortable with new drums made for water storage. Seemed like a fair deal but I didn't search the internet for a long time, most places wanted a lot for shipping.
    Water Barrel - 55 Gallon Drum - Water Storage - Water
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 05-17-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Seneca likes this.

I raised tropical freshwater fish for years. A properly operating fish tank is a bio "sphere". Ammonia or nitrates and nitrites, etc. would kill those tiny critters in minutes if it wasn't working properly. My wife and I joked about how our cat would jump up and drink the water in the tank and eventually no longer put water out for him. Should the filtration stop, then I would be very worried. Except for growing gills, the cat was absolutely fine. But I assume you mean using tanks as containers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links