fish tanks for water storage? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

fish tanks for water storage?

This is a discussion on fish tanks for water storage? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have a few tanks going. It can't hurt. Boil it of course before you drink it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fish tanks for water storage?

I have a few tanks going. It can't hurt. Boil it of course before you drink it.

Big time Aquarium keeper here as well. While the water is relatively "clean", I wouldnt use it with out first boiling it or using a filtration system before drinking. Just because the water may be Gin clear doesnt make it potable. It does however make for a great way to keep water on hand in large quantities without making yourself look like a doomsday prepper in the process...stealth water storage if you will. For example the 300 gallon FW tank in my living room makes for a nice decorative center piece and focal point in my home, but with 300 gallons of water in the main tank and another 140 in the refugium/sump...Im set for a few weeks on water supply while everyone else is sucking big time. Think about that for a few minutes...who would have thought something thats a innocent hobby could actually serve as a prep too!
    grinder37 likes this.

I'm pretty sure it is best to store water in larger containers that are not see through? Like others have said there will be a lot of bacteria, ammonia, pollution in a fish tank so I'd only do so in extreme circumstances and I'd want to filter it A LOT and probably boil it as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rickkyw1720pf View Post
    Filtering the water then boiling the crap out of it maybe ok. But it would be like eating a salad after seeing a dead fly in it.

I just bit the bullet and bought 4 new 55 gal. drums from EMERGENCY ESSENTIALS $75.95 per drum but they only charged $12.00 shipping for all four. I had a couple of 30 gal drums that I cleaned out but I feel a lot more comfortable with new drums made for water storage. Seemed like a fair deal but I didn't search the internet for a long time, most places wanted a lot for shipping.
    Water Barrel - 55 Gallon Drum - Water Storage - Water
    I've been looking at buying some blue barrels. I have plenty 6 gal water jugs and they are great for carrying water, they have handles and are not too heavy when filled. They add to clutter and while I do want to keep a few around, too many can be a headache.

Another item I'm looking into is the bathtub bladders. As a temporary and inexpensive solution to boost water storage. They stow away compactly and provided they could be filled before loosing tap water could considerably boost ones emergency water supply.. I wouldn't count on them past one or two fills, yet in a pinch they could provide quite a bit of extra potable water on short notice...
    Last edited by Seneca; 05-19-2013 at 02:48 AM.

I once spotted a free standing bladder used by RVers to bring water into a dry camping area (no water, electricity). I found at a Discount store, an inflatable air mattress, the kind you use for guests when the hoard descends on your house for the holidays. It was very HD. For years I used it to bring water to my RV. To clean it, I set it out on the driveway, added 2 qts bleach and filled it with water and let it sit for a week. The only mods I made to it was the addition of a 3/4 inch water valve and a garden hose adapter on the valve.
    Seneca likes this.

My plan...since I don't have an aquarium...lol
    Is to store potable water and also have the means to quicky increase that supply. I do like the air mattress idea, yet am inclined to prep foodgrade. Though in a pinch that would work...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links