What would a constant low EMP do to electronics?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What would a constant low EMP do to electronics?

This is a discussion on What would a constant low EMP do to electronics? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So I know a high power EMP would fry a lot of electronics, but those happen in bursts. I am wondering what a low, but ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What would a constant low EMP do to electronics?

What would a constant low power Electromagnetic Field do to electronics in its range?

So I know a high power EMP would fry a lot of electronics, but those happen in bursts. I am wondering what a low, but constant Electromagnetic Field would do.

It's just a question that popped into my head while I was musing.
    Last edited by AlmostHuman; 09-09-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Geez I get tired of all the EMP speculation!

VERY SIMPLE....FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:

1. The Lights suddenly go out. Hmmm.... Look across the street...are their lights out too. - NO=Check your breaker box YES= GO TO THE NEXT STP

2. Check your cell phone for operation and make a blind call. If it works....It's a simple power failure. Wait for the power company to fix. If it's NOT working...GO TO THE NEXT STEP

3. Go to your late model car and attempt to start it. If it starts....It is still a MAJOR power failure that includes power to cell towers in the area. If it does NOT start.....GO TO THE NEXT STEP.

4. It is now SHTF time! Gather your family. Get your preps together and add whatever you can in a BIG hurry. Hunker down and prepare to survive. It is going to be a long haul.......

Easy peasy!
    8301 likes this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SittingElf View Post
    Geez I get tired of all the EMP speculation!

VERY SIMPLE....FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:

1. The Lights suddenly go out. Hmmm.... Look across the street...are their lights out too. - NO=Check your breaker box YES= GO TO THE NEXT STP

2. Check your cell phone for operation and make a blind call. If it works....It's a simple power failure. Wait for the power company to fix. If it's NOT working...GO TO THE NEXT STEP

3. Go to your late model car and attempt to start it. If it starts....It is still a MAJOR power failure that includes power to cell towers in the area. If it does NOT start.....GO TO THE NEXT STEP.

4. It is now SHTF time! Gather your family. Get your preps together and add whatever you can in a BIG hurry. Hunker down and prepare to survive. It is going to be a long haul.......

Easy peasy!
    My question wasn't how to recognize an EMP. -.- Thanks though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    So I know a high power EMP would fry a lot of electronics, but those happen in bursts. I am wondering what a low, but constant Electromagnetic Field would do.

It's just a question that popped into my head while I was musing.
    have you done any reading on our past post on this subject ? do you know how to google ? I like your name you are using , if your almost human , what is the other part ? lmao
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

The key word in EMP is "PULSE". There is no such thing as a constant "PULSE".... just as there is no such thing as a constant rifle shot.

Multiple pulses, maybe, but not practical....except in a Armageddon nuclear war when thousands of bombs are falling. If that should occur, GO TO THE NEXT STEP

---Collect your family. Sit in comfortable chairs. Place you heads between your knees. Kiss your ass goodbye!
    SOCOM42, Sasquatch, Slippy and 2 others like this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    have you done any reading on our past post on this subject ? do you know how to google ? I like your name you are using , if your almost human , what is the other part ? lmao
    Nope, I didn't spend a single second googling.

Anyways, my Username is AlmostHuman not PartiallyHuman. That simply means I am an incomplete Human as I have a few things missing that are needed to make me completely human. Well I don't want to get into that, so let get back on topic please.

Will2!! Is that you????

We're a pretty easygoing and friendly group here. You might want to lighten up a bit, and not direct us on what we post, friend. It is also recommended that you do a search on topics you are interested in before starting a thread. That means the Search function. There are TONS of EMP threads here. Suggest you read them....many have very detailed and scientific data on EMP's and CME's.

Cheers
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    Hidden Content

This again, young buck you're about to get slammed with a FTFSI and get hazed, until you puke and die.

Now - the logic in your question is methodologically flawed - an EMP means Electro-magnetic Pulse, the Webster's definition of this type of pulse is:
    2. a single vibration or short burst of sound, electric current, light, or other wave.

Once it becomes a Constant - a Stream, an Emitter, it ceases to be a pulse. Now - there is equipment, both electrical with certain signature and that use SHF/EHF RF waves such as certain satellites, certain waveforms of radios, or other constant transmitting radio equipment that will disrupt other wavelengths, and perhaps other electrical equipment - but they won't fry them like (in theory) an EMP would.

There has been studies on ELF/EHF (Extremely Low Freq/Extremely High Freq) transmissions and bursts that disrupt other things BESIDES electricity and magnetism - well, it still does, but in an organic sense. Migratory patterns, brain waves, hearts of various animals (and perhaps humans). Here are some of those:
    - Extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields disrupt magnetic alignment of ruminants
    - Pineal melatonin level disruption in humans due to electromagnetic fields and ICNIRP limits. - PubMed - NCBI

It isn't the answer you're looking for because you posted an illogical question - but you can do reading on what different types of EMR does to people/things - in the explosives world we have a theory called HERO - Hazards of EMR (Electromag Radiation) on Ordnance, certain Prox/VT/ET (variable/electrical time) fuze devices, guidance packages and AD munitions can be negatively affected by EMR and will go off.

The idea of someone making an extremely large and amplified transmission device meant to subdue RF/EM behaviors in an area is laughably implausible - it wouldn't do what an EMP does, your radio comms would be screwed and you'd get a nasty dose of RF/Microwave radiation (depending on the chosen wavelength, harmonics, amplification, etc) but it wouldn't fry your car or appliances (well, not right away) like an EMP could.

What is your obsession with EMR/EMP? No one has been able to reliably recreate a NON-NUCLEAR, scaleable, rapidly-deployable EMP/EMP-like device. Even nuclear weapons and fission devices don't create a really novel EMP - it "...results from secondary reactions occurring when the nuclear gamma radiation is absorbed in the air or ground. It differs from the usual radio waves in two important ways. First, it creates much higher electric field strengths. Whereas a radio signal might produce a thousandth of a volt or less in a receiving antenna, an EMP pulse might produce thousands of volts. Secondly, it is a single pulse of energy that disappears completely in a small fraction of a second"

Electromagnetic Pulse | Effects of Nuclear Weapons | atomicarchive.com

Aside from that fact, NORAD, and our Giant-F'ing THAAD/PATRIOT and other Air Defense batteries around the world, and stationed/emplaced her CONUS would detect any nuclear strike and destroy it. To achieve the massive EMP effect you'd have to airburst a nuclear weapon FAR above the ground, making it even more easily detected by Radar and the naked eye.

ETA: the last link has some janky drawing that seems to suggest 500KM airburst would destroy most electronics CONUS - hope it's a big nuke, not sure how gamma radiation behaves, at that height you're in the F'ing EXOSPHERE - so not only do they have to have a MIRV/EV - they need a damn rocket to get it there.
    http://www.albany.edu/faculty/rgk/atm101/structur.htm

I'd wager a guess that the atmosphere and ozone would absorb a ton of the gamma radiation and a lot of it would disperse into space either way.
    Last edited by AnotherSOFSurvivor; 09-09-2016 at 08:41 AM.

There is no rf generator big enough to create what you are describing, the closest was built by Nicola Tesla, to power cities over a 100 years ago.

Nuclear fission or fusion alone has the power to generate an EMP and that pulse only last a millisecond, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    ...the last link has some janky drawing that seems to suggest 500KM airburst would destroy most electronics CONUS - hope it's a big nuke, not sure how gamma radiation behaves, at that height you're in the F'ing EXOSPHERE - so not only do they have to have a MIRV/EV - they need a damn rocket to get it there.

I'd wager a guess that the atmosphere and ozone would absorb a ton of the gamma radiation and a lot of it would disperse into space either way.
    From what I've read, it doesn't have to be a particularly large yield weapon. What is more important is the construction of it. Since it is the gamma emission that causes the EMP when it hits the atmosphere, the most effective weapon is built with a lightweight casing that allows the maximum gamma to escape. Large weapons are usually cased in U-238 to increase explosive yield, and this absorbs the gamma.

And yes, the altitude is also important. Gamma hits the atmosphere by line-of-sight, so the higher the better for ground coverage. To get to 500 klicks you would need a rocket. One launched from a ship anchored off the US coast would get to altitude so quickly that it's questionable that it could be intercepted. Patriots aren't capable of that altitude anyway. Some Navy ships carry missiles that could do the job, if they were close enough to the launch.

There was a study done that a balloon lofted weapon could get high enough to cause an EMP capable of affecting the East coast of the US from New York to Washington DC. That's millions of people without power. I'm on the wrong computer to get the reference for this, I can get it later if you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links