What would a constant low EMP do to electronics? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What would a constant low EMP do to electronics?

This is a discussion on What would a constant low EMP do to electronics? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I don't like reading. Could you just give me the answers for the test? Better yet, could you just give me a copy of the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What would a constant low EMP do to electronics?

I don't like reading.
    Could you just give me the answers for the test?
    Better yet, could you just give me a copy of the test with the answers?
    Denton and AnotherSOFSurvivor like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    Actually I was asking what effects an Electromagnetic Field would have on electronics within its range.
    A short and fast explanation... EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) is a super high voltage burst of energy created when an atomic bomb is set off above the earth's atmosphere and the effect of it's Gamma rays when they interact with earth's higher atmosphere creating this energy burst. It is a line of sight effect and 1 EMP bomb 200 miles up can affect half of the US.

It's generally agreed that the "pulse" of energy will burn out delicate electrical circuits making most things that have a circuit chip die. Electric power transmission lines are good EMP antennas and can send the super high energy surge into transformer stations and your house frying most electronics and killing the transformer stations. Because the pulse is so fast most fuses and circuit breakers will not be effective at protecting electronics.

Some people say most cars made after about 1975 will not run because of their computers. Others say most cars will survive. Read the book "One Second After" by William Forstein. Very scary EMP scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    Actually I was asking what effects an Electromagnetic Field would have on electronics within its range.
    Any delicate circuitry, like a microprocessor, would be overloaded with more voltage than it was designed to ever handle, and fry. The EMP is a wave of free electrons hurtling toward the ground, looking for any conductor they can find to bind to. Any electrically conductive components that can't handle the excess electrons will burn out. Think of it like burning out a fuse, only instead of a fuse, it melts the CPU of every computer in the cone.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links