My current water prep is… What’s yours?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on My current water prep is… What’s yours? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; In my basement I have three 55 gal water barrels “w/check valves” in line with my hot water tank inlet. Water flows through all three ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My current water prep is… What’s yours?

In my basement I have three 55 gal water barrels “w/check valves” in line with my hot water tank inlet. Water flows through all three barrels before reaching my hot water tank. In the event the water goes out I will have the three barrels plus the 75 gals in the hot water tank. This equals 240 gallons. This project started as one 55 gal barrel filled with water. Call me a lazy prepper, but empting and refilling this barrel every three to six months wasn’t something I wanted to do. I have posted a diagram pic. I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing. I'm always open to a better way.

-water.jpg
    grinder37 likes this.
    I can’t wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. I’ll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Study your rainfall. You should be able to google your average rain fall and determine how many gallons you can score off the roof of your home, and then find a simple way to collect it, treat it and filter it. Most of us, even OK I would assume, get enough rainfall on our homes each year to keep us going. I just got a 275 gallon tote that I'd use after filtration and treatment for long term storage. That would cover us 6 months and we never go 6 full months without some rain here in CA.

Very interesting design. Whats the normal water pressure you have in the system? City or private well? My plan is to relocate to Tucson , AZ this year, and they don't get a whole lot of rain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ripon View Post
    Study your rainfall. You should be able to google your average rain fall and determine how many gallons you can score off the roof of your home, and then find a simple way to collect it, treat it and filter it. Most of us, even OK I would assume, get enough rainfall on our homes each year to keep us going. I just got a 275 gallon tote that I'd use after filtration and treatment for long term storage. That would cover us 6 months and we never go 6 full months without some rain here in CA.
    I always thought of rain as being a long term solution to a long term problem. I think I would build the rain collection system when the time came to need a “long term” solution. With this design you have fresh water immediately without filtration. However.. I would have to build something for rain collection soon after the SHTF because my current stock of water would last my family of 6 plus 2 dogs about 1 and ˝ months “give or take”. Oklahoma can easily go 6 months with little to no rain.
    I can’t wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. I’ll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Very interesting design. Whats the normal water pressure you have in the system? City or private well? My plan is to relocate to Tucson , AZ this year, and they don't get a whole lot of rain.
    My hot water pressure did drop a little bit after this went online. Not enough to not do it though. I’ve dealt with a leak hear and there, but overall it has worked very well.
    On a side note… If you’re planning a move.. Why would you choose a place that will be filled with 0bama zombies when the SHTF?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiObama View Post
    My hot water pressure did drop a little bit after this went online. Not enough to not do it though. I’ve dealt with a leak hear and there, but overall it has worked very well.
    On a side note… If you’re planning a move.. Why would you choose a place that will be filled with 0bama zombies when the SHTF?
    Target practice!

AntiObama likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

Rain collection & storeage system should be a priority of any prepper. Its free water once you get it set up. Mine is only screened for debris going into the barrels. Most of mine goes to plants. But I do have a set up with a ceramic filter to clean up the water for human use. There is also to filter it threw cloth & boil it.
    My storeage is 440 gallons & can't even use all the water I catch.
    AntiObama likes this.

I keep 4 55g water storage barrels that I do flush and fill every 6 months,but I really like the idea of your inline setup.Great thinking and thanks for giving me my next project to do.

However to answer the original question,for our water supply we also have a 4 55g barrel rain collection setup (not for drinking unless we need to,just for washing,hygene,watering the garden etc.).Plus a berkey water filter with four sets of replacement filters.

We also have a stream that runs through our property,which is fed by the nearby city's reservoir,as well as an artesian spring about 3 miles away in the woods with a honda recon and garden trailer that holds two large coolers to make collection easy and even do-able if the quad isn't running.

The stream would also just be for washing,bathing,etc. for fear of contamination of what folks 4 miles upstream are dumping into it.But if needed,we would prefilter strain it,filter it,then boil it before use for drinking/cooking.The spring is excellent drinking water that i've seen flowing in the dryest of times.

This is the “average” rainfall for my current location. Does this seem like enough for 6 people plus 2 dogs? Like I said…. I always planed to build something to catch rain when it looked like I would have to. Maybe I should stop procrastinating. It would give me more time to shoot zombies when the SHTF.

Rain(Inches)
    January 1.3

February 1.9

March 3.3

April 3.1

May 4.5

June 3.5

July 2.3

August 2.4

September 3.1

October 3.3

November 1.8

December 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    Rain collection & storeage system should be a priority of any prepper. Its free water once you get it set up. Mine is only screened for debris going into the barrels. Most of mine goes to plants. But I do have a set up with a ceramic filter to clean up the water for human use. There is also to filter it threw cloth & boil it.
    My storeage is 440 gallons & can't even use all the water I catch.

Glad to share grinder... It sounds like you're set pretty well for water. That's Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by grinder37 View Post
    I keep 4 55g water storage barrels that I do flush and fill every 6 months,but I really like the idea of your inline setup.Great thinking and thanks for giving me my next project to do.

However to answer the original question,for our water supply we also have a 4 55g barrel rain collection setup (not for drinking unless we need to,just for washing,hygene,watering the garden etc.).Plus a berkey water filter with four sets of replacement filters.

We also have a stream that runs through our property,which is fed by the nearby city's reservoir,as well as an artesian spring about 3 miles away in the woods with a honda recon and garden trailer that holds two large coolers to make collection easy and even do-able if the quad isn't running.

The stream would also just be for washing,bathing,etc. for fear of contamination of what folks 4 miles upstream are dumping into it.But if needed,we would prefilter strain it,filter it,then boil it before use for drinking/cooking.The spring is excellent drinking water that i've seen flowing in the dryest of times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links