My current water prep is… What’s yours? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My current water prep is… What’s yours?

This is a discussion on My current water prep is… What’s yours? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; You can do a google search and find out how many gallons you get in runoff with each inch of rain and square foot of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My current water prep is… What’s yours?

You can do a google search and find out how many gallons you get in runoff with each inch of rain and square foot of roof space. It's kind of shocking actually. I suspect you won't be able to store it all if you have a sizable roof. Just remember roof lines are nasty, bird crap and all. Lots of filtration and treatment are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiObama View Post
    This is the “average” rainfall for my current location. Does this seem like enough for 6 people plus 2 dogs? Like I said…. I always planed to build something to catch rain when it looked like I would have to. Maybe I should stop procrastinating. It would give me more time to shoot zombies when the SHTF.

Rain(Inches)
    January 1.3

February 1.9

March 3.3

April 3.1

May 4.5

June 3.5

July 2.3

August 2.4

September 3.1

October 3.3

November 1.8

December 1.1

You can do a google search and find out how many gallons you get in runoff with each inch of rain and square foot of roof space. It's kind of shocking actually. I suspect you won't be able to store it all if you have a sizable roof. Just remember roof lines are nasty, bird crap and all. Lots of filtration and treatment are needed.

Btw I believe 1 inch and a 1000 sq foot roof is over 600 gallons.
    runoff calculation

This is the “average” rainfall for my current location. Does this seem like enough for 6 people plus 2 dogs? Like I said…. I always planed to build something to catch rain when it looked like I would have to. Maybe I should stop procrastinating. It would give me more time to shoot zombies when the SHTF.

Rain(Inches)
    January 1.3

February 1.9

March 3.3

April 3.1

May 4.5

June 3.5

July 2.3

August 2.4

September 3.1

October 3.3

November 1.8

December 1.1

Senior Member R.I.P.

You average 31.6" of rain per year. Now add up all the square footage of roofs.

Yes, the formula is 0.6gal on one square foot from 1" of rain.

People have always survived on islands from rain catch & storeage systems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!! Great info.
    I can’t wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. I’ll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

In my basement I have three 55 gal water barrels “w/check valves” in line with my hot water tank inlet. Water flows through all three barrels before reaching my hot water tank. In the event the water goes out I will have the three barrels plus the 75 gals in the hot water tank. This equals 240 gallons. This project started as one 55 gal barrel filled with water. Call me a lazy prepper, but empting and refilling this barrel every three to six months wasn’t something I wanted to do. I have posted a diagram pic. I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing. I'm always open to a better way.

Attachment 1986
    That is a great idea,,, Was there a hillbilly involved in this design?

Senior Member R.I.P.

You will also need to estimate your useage. With enough roof space & storeage it can be done. With six people useage will add up & sometimes you might have to go to a conservation mode. But you can figure about 60 gallons per day for everyone to take a shower. But conservation mode using 1 gal to wet down & 2 gal to rinse. And you can expect doing atleast one load of laundry per day which is 40 gallons.
    Now you are at 100 gallons & haven't even cooked, done dishes, or watered animals or plants.

I estimated 224gal from the roof I collect off of. So I decided reasonable was being able to store twice that. My storeage is 440 gallons but its just me and a few dogs (4 legged). Plus some plants & fruit trees.

My guess would be your normal use would be atleast 200 gallons per day. Figure rain maybe every two weeks that would be 14X200=2800 gallons minimum you want to be able to store.

Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    that is a great idea,,, was there a hillbilly involved in this design?
    I can’t wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. I’ll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

In my basement I have three 55 gal water barrels “w/check valves” in line with my hot water tank inlet. Water flows through all three barrels before reaching my hot water tank. In the event the water goes out I will have the three barrels plus the 75 gals in the hot water tank. This equals 240 gallons. This project started as one 55 gal barrel filled with water. Call me a lazy prepper, but empting and refilling this barrel every three to six months wasn’t something I wanted to do. I have posted a diagram pic. I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing. I'm always open to a better way.

Attachment 1986
    That is cool! If I had the space in my utility room I would do it, not because we need it, but just because it is a neat idea! Where we live having too little water is usually not the issue. Sometimes having too much...

Glad to share grinder... It sounds like you're set pretty well for water. That's Awesome!!
    Yes,we are very fortunate for our water supplies.But putting the tanks in line with the h20 tank was simply genius!I believe alcohol may have played a roll in the planning of this.lol.No more flushing and will keep the water at peak freshness all the time?My house is plumbed in 3/4" and 1/2" pvc now,so tapping these tanks in will be a breeze.I was an HVAC tech,I have buckets of pvc fittings and piping as well as pallets to set them on and will change my setup tomorrow.Ideas like this are the main reasons I read on this forum.Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grinder37 View Post
    Yes,we are very fortunate for our water supplies.But putting the tanks in line with the h20 tank was simply genius!I believe alcohol may have played a roll in the planning of this.lol.No more flushing and will keep the water at peak freshness all the time?My house is plumbed in 3/4" and 1/2" pvc now,so tapping these tanks in will be a breeze.I was an HVAC tech,I have buckets of pvc fittings and piping as well as pallets to set them on and will change my setup tomorrow.Ideas like this are the main reasons I read on this forum.Thank you.
    That's awesome brother. We'll talk about my vodka stash later... lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links