Do I Need This? Is there better?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Do I Need This? Is there better? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; My bug out is desert territory that freezes and has one annual growth period for crops. My wife and I have ample mylar, know dehydrating, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AntiObama

Thread: Do I Need This? Is there better?

My bug out is desert territory that freezes and has one annual growth period for crops. My wife and I have ample mylar, know dehydrating, canning and jarring so each year we can accumulate at least a years worth of veggies from each harvest. While I have a year long back up supply of food that is growing I often worry about a storm, an event or bug infestation, anything that might wipe out one annual growth - the only growth.

So I started studying aquaponics. The claims are a little to incredible to me. So much so I can't imagine why it's not the norm? To that end I was thinking a green house for seed cultivation and maybe even an indoor aquaponics farm? They say 32 square feet can grow enough vegetation for a person a year. This lamp would cover 36 square feet. If I had the power to supply it would it really suffice in crop production?

400W 400 Watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit DIMM Green House iPower | eBay

With my past experience with growing indoors.. I have a hard time believing that one 6 inch bulb would cover 32 square feet. Realistically.. I think you would need at least 2 of these. It’d be worth a try though to see just how much space you could cover effectively with one.
    I canít wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. Iíll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

A 6 x 6 plot is 36 square feet. A 4 x 8 plot is 32 square feet and if you had one plot that size it wouldn't be able to produce enough food. Aquaponics relies on cubic feet. You need several layers that are 4 x 8 in size - stacking them on top of each other you can get the equivalent of 128 square feet of growing space.
    The hard part is balancing the system so the animals produce enough fertilizer and the plants provide enough food for the animals and you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    A 6 x 6 plot is 36 square feet. A 4 x 8 plot is 32 square feet and if you had one plot that size it wouldn't be able to produce enough food. Aquaponics relies on cubic feet. You need several layers that are 4 x 8 in size - stacking them on top of each other you can get the equivalent of 128 square feet of growing space.
    The hard part is balancing the system so the animals produce enough fertilizer and the plants provide enough food for the animals and you.
    Yeah, that's interesting stuff for sure. Have you seen the backyard liberty videos?
    I canít wait till the SHTF and the 0bama sheeple turn into zombies. Iíll go walking dead on theyazz. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

download the BYL videos here.

Backyard Liberty
    Dr. Prepper likes this.

Murray Hallam has some good comprehensive videos & you can see more at his site aquaponics.net.au, id like to boast about alot of his stuff but ill let you check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiObama View Post
    download the BYL videos here.

Backyard Liberty
    Thanks for the info. AntiObama. Excellent website.

Do I Need This?  Is there better?-axis-evil-300x63.jpg

Sponsored Links