If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; For localized disasters there would be a constant, but probably slow, supply of goods coming in. However, the same cannot be said for a nation ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

For localized disasters there would be a constant, but probably slow, supply of goods coming in. However, the same cannot be said for a nation wide disaster like an EMP that wipes out food transportation.

I have two other questions too.

1. When do you think the riots and looting will start? I figure that night when the stores start closing their doors.

2. When do you think stores will start Price Gouging?

how are the stores going to sell anything if their registers won't work? all the water runs on electric pumps... I tell my brother, you likely have 2 days to get where you need to be before the sheeple figure out the Man isn't going to come save them... people can only live 3 days without water... you do the math!
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Many people are still not aware of what an EMP does. The masses will still think of it as a power outage, but there are some like the followers of forums like this and others that will understand. When the car doesn't work, the phones' dead, and the powers off its SHTF time. I would imagine that gets out in 4 hours and the looting starts at 5/6 hours. I don't believe the stores will have time to gouge on prices and will likely be unable to protect their assets. I would imagine most stores empty in 48 hours.
    sideKahr, 7052 and 6811 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

As soon as you know it's happened, get your cash and a gun, and head to the store. As politely as you can, get anything you can afford, and can carry and protect. You have about 2 hours before the crazy comes out. Our society relies HEAVILY on electronic devices. They won't consider it a simple power outage when their phones go black, their cars won't start, and their battery powered radios don't work. Word will spread by mouth, but it will spread like wildfire as panic sets in.
    Anywhere between 8 hours and 2 days, your local stores will be WIPED OUT. Don't be on the roads, and if you must, don't look like you have anything or know what you're doing. Play dumb, ask stupid questions, don't draw attention. This is NOT the time to be "the man with the plan".

Honestly, heading to the store for ANYTHING should be unnecessary, and only done if you have the convenience of close proximity. If you have any desire to survive such an event, you should be planning FAR in advance, and have the necessities safely stocked away at home. Lugging water home, when your car doesn't work, will be burdensome and attention grabbing. *IF* you want to risk a trip to the store, head for the aisles that don't have food on them. They will be the first things hit. Head to the pharmacy for OTC meds and bandaids, or to the housewares dept for disposable plates, cups, and plasticware. Don't skip the coffee filters, or the rolls of duct tape. If you happened to have any battery powered items tucked away in a Faraday cage (you do, right?), then you could take a risk on the batteries, and hope they still work. (haven't found any solid info on whether they will be fried or not, likely depends on the intensity of the E1)

Basically, plan for it NOW, and don't worry about it THEN.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Don't know about an EMP, but just news of a coming major snow/ice storm makes the local store shelves pretty barren fairly quickly. You do know that grocery stores only have 3 days supply of food, then they wait for the semi's to show up. Can't count on any food outlet.jmho.

Think about what the supermarket looks like before a possible snow storm is headed your way...a hurricane.

Think about what Black Friday looks like at WalMart.

Multiply by 10......

If you ain't got it now...you ain't gettin' it.
    A Watchman, Slippy and csi-tech like this.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

you do realize that an EMP is produced by a nuclear explosion - good likelyhood it would preempt a full nuclear attack - even a single terrorist atmosphere blast would create a fallout SHTF ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

EMP means no more deliveries. Grocery stores carry about 3 days of NORMAL sales, they'll be stripped in a few hours. Keep your pantry stocked and you shouldn't have to worry about it. When the world goes dark is the wrong time to go shopping. I wouldn't go near a store after the event.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

When it goes dark ...... I will know it has happened. It will not be a time for "shopping" as I have already performed this necessary task.
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you do realize that an EMP is produced by a nuclear explosion - good likelyhood it would preempt a full nuclear attack - even a single terrorist atmosphere blast would create a fallout SHTF ....
    EMP can only be produced by an atomic detonation above approximately 30 miles. There is no danger of fallout from a blast that high.

As for making purchases, even with cash, after an EMP, I don't think you will be able to. A lot of stores make all the customers leave when the power fails. And they won't sell anything with the registers out because of auto inventory updating. They have their instructions.

When people realize what has happened, that's when the trashcans will go through the windows and merchandise will flow, but I don't want to be a part of that.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 09-06-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links