If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? - Page 8
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by SOCOM42 Uh, I think it was an extension of the comment, not a slap at you. Thanks SOCUM....

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Uh, I think it was an extension of the comment, not a slap at you.
    Thanks SOCUM.
    SOCOM42 and SGG like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

The point of having emergency food supplies is that we don't have to take risks of going out.
    The same thing applies to SHTF scenarios.

I think once we learn that it's an EMP, we'll start securing our home - barricades in some entry points, etc., -
    and that includes the "last stand" room in the house. Hide supplies as best we can.
    Once the mob realize stores are empty, they'll look to houses to loot. We can only hope that we're not in the way of that first wave.
    Last edited by charito; 09-08-2016 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    Sigh, one of the reasons I am wanting to prep is so I won't have to resort to looting.

If I had a year, or even a month, worth of supplies and a bunker to live in of course I wouldn't loot. I would head towards it immediately.

Tell me what you people would do in my shoes. If you lived in the city with your family, and you only have a few days worth of food and no place to bug out to?
    Would you really not loot? If not, then how would you survive?

You're in a prepping site, so you know the threat.
    You have to increase your food supplies to last you longer than a few days' worth. You wouldn't be any help to your family if you're dead, or hurt - at a time when there won't be any doctors to help you out.

Start prepping!
    Last edited by charito; 09-08-2016 at 05:47 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I kind of wonder... I remember being in upstate NY when Sandy hit/ first snow before Halloween in recorded history. Some of us went without power for weeks/months. When the snows hit some of those same people were stuck in their homes for weeks/months. in the Highland Mills, Monroe, Highland falls area I didn't hear of any rioting, and I didn't have any increased patient load (I worked at Keller Army Community Hospital at the time)

People were stranded, with no power, phone, etc. Yes, cell service was still good, but you couldn't really call for help, because they were still trying to get to you anyway.

Then again, most people in the area use oil for cooking and heat, and generators are pretty much something everyone has already wired into their homes. So I guess that little bit of preparedness goes a long way to promote civility, as opposed to New Orleans in Katrina...

I think it will depend heavily on how prepared the people around you generally are. In Alaska, I doubt anyone will give a crap. In Oklahoma, there will probably be a lot of people trying to find reporters to describe the sound of the EMP to. In big cities, I'd give it 3 days before the stupid starts, and a week, maybe two, before it gets really freaking dangerous.
    Hidden Content

My accommodation of your incompetence does not make you right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakthesoldier View Post
    I kind of wonder... I remember being in upstate NY when Sandy hit/ first snow before Halloween in recorded history. Some of us went without power for weeks/months. When the snows hit some of those same people were stuck in their homes for weeks/months. in the Highland Mills, Monroe, Highland falls area I didn't hear of any rioting, and I didn't have any increased patient load (I worked at Keller Army Community Hospital at the time)

People were stranded, with no power, phone, etc. Yes, cell service was still good, but you couldn't really call for help, because they were still trying to get to you anyway.

Then again, most people in the area use oil for cooking and heat, and generators are pretty much something everyone has already wired into their homes. So I guess that little bit of preparedness goes a long way to promote civility, as opposed to New Orleans in Katrina...

I think it will depend heavily on how prepared the people around you generally are. In Alaska, I doubt anyone will give a crap. In Oklahoma, there will probably be a lot of people trying to find reporters to describe the sound of the EMP to. In big cities, I'd give it 3 days before the stupid starts, and a week, maybe two, before it gets really freaking dangerous.
    If it's a very widespread area that's hit, and there are no places to buy food....that's when there'll be widespread looting.

A natural incident like a snow storm is a generally known, thing, people understand them and not everything is blacked out.

In this natural event, people know it is only temporary, and expect things will return to normal in a relatively short time.

In this you can listen to your car radio for info.

With everything electrical out, basically trapped in place and no communication with the outside world,

to most an unknown or understood event will cause the panic equation to change quickly.

I well remember the blizzard of 1978 and its effects here, that is when I said never again, been prepping ever since.

The summer of 1979 saw a coal bunker built to hold 4 tons of coal, a coal stove added, plus a months worth of long term food stored.

Already had plenty of guns and ammo stored.
    6811 and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post

Otherwise, some miserable son of a bitch like me will cap your ass and roll you into a ditch to rot, at least some animals may benefit from your post mortem carcass.
    I prepped extra ammo for the opening shots of SHTF.... I don't like looters, especially the ones who steals tv's, couches, nike's and non essentials. Those kinds of dirt bags deserve a dirt nap.. Since events like this will occur in inner cities, we are talking about shots from 200 yards and less. Very easy to make an example out of these lootin thugs.
    Slippy, 7052, SOCOM42 and 1 others like this.

real question is.. if looters try to hit your house, do you remove the dead bodies from the yard, or leave them there as a warning?
    SOCOM42 and SGG like this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Goons at the register can't add or subtract let alone figure out a % tax. And they want $15/hr

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    real question is.. if looters try to hit your house, do you remove the dead bodies from the yard, or leave them there as a warning?
    Yes, you leave them there. But you can't leave them there for an extended amount of time. You will have to move them out before they stink. Decomposing body smells terrible, you wouldn't want to be smelling it all day long.

But I don't live in the city, so my situation is a little different. I got a wide open space in the back of the house. It goes to about 200 plus yards of clear unobstructed field.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links