If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; When do you sleep, youngun? Perhaps, things are not as they seem? I trust my instincts, whowever you are....

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

Super Moderator

When do you sleep, youngun?

Perhaps, things are not as they seem?

I trust my instincts, whowever you are.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

A bug in kids clothing?

risk your life looting for an armload of stuff you could stock beforehand at the dollar store and cost you 20 bucks.........
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sigh, one of the reasons I am wanting to prep is so I won't have to resort to looting.

If I had a year, or even a month, worth of supplies and a bunker to live in of course I wouldn't loot. I would head towards it immediately.

Tell me what you people would do in my shoes. If you lived in the city with your family, and you only have a few days worth of food and no place to bug out to?
    Would you really not loot? If not, then how would you survive?

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Many people are still not aware of what an EMP does. The masses will still think of it as a power outage, but there are some like the followers of forums like this and others that will understand. When the car doesn't work, the phones' dead, and the powers off its SHTF time. I would imagine that gets out in 4 hours and the looting starts at 5/6 hours. I don't believe the stores will have time to gouge on prices and will likely be unable to protect their assets. I would imagine most stores empty in 48 hours.
    I have drilled this into my daughter's heads over and over. EVERY time the power goes out, look at your cell phone. If it's dead (or not properly functioning like it was a moment ago), get to my house. I don't care what you need to do, just get here immediately.
    SOCOM42, Kauboy, stowlin and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Really? That's what you say predators go for?

Pardon me if I am beginning to doubt you personage.
    Why wouldn't they go for the easiest, but largest target?

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    Think about it, looting during a typical riot produces thieves that grab trinkets such as booze, Nike, TV's and DVD players.

They then go back home and enjoy their spoils in normal functioning household settings.

Under an EMP, NOTHING will work, you will be right back in the early 19TH century.

Food will be the prime target, not a flat screen that is already burned out.

You will need a shopping cart to bring home whatever spoils you can garner, or your little red wagon.

Hauling your cart home is subject to interception by marauders, who may just walk up and shoot you and take whatever you had.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Think about it, looting during a typical riot produces thieves that grab trinkets such as booze, Nike, TV's and DVD players.

They then go back home and enjoy their spoils in normal functioning household settings.

Under an EMP, NOTHING will work, you will be right back in the early 19TH century.

Food will be the prime target, not a flat screen that is already burned out.

You will need a shopping cart to bring home whatever spoils you can garner, or your little red wagon.

Hauling your cart home is subject to interception by marauders, who may just walk up and shoot you and take whatever you had.

Sure tv's won't work, but jewelry, booze, and nikes would still have their value for a time. Well booze would always be worth something.

And the chances of me getting shot right off the bat wouldn't be very high. If it was four or five days later and I was pushing a shopping cart full of food, then yes I will have to agree I would get shot. However, just a few hours later? I don't think so. Especially since there would be countless people doing the same thing as me, so there would be more targets to choose from and I will be less likely to be picked.

Sigh, one of the reasons I am wanting to prep is so I won't have to resort to looting.

If I had a year, or even a month, worth of supplies and a bunker to live in of course I wouldn't loot. I would head towards it immediately.

Tell me what you people would do in my shoes. If you lived in the city with your family, and you only have a few days worth of food and no place to bug out to?
    Would you really not loot? If not, then how would you survive?
    In your shoes, since you're on a forum about prepping, and last time I checked (checks cell phone) no EMP has yet gone off, I would heed the advice I've been given, and get my butt in gear to start gathering necessities.
    Spend an extra $10 a week on non-perishable canned goods and drinking water, and you'll have that month worth of supplies in a surprisingly fast amount of time.
    A 5 gallon bucket of beans, a 5 gallon bucket of rice, and a 1 gallon bucket of salt will set you back <$30, and feed two people for 2 weeks minimum. You won't be eating like a king, but it's a start.
    Your priorities should not start with "what should I do if it happened tomorrow?". Your priority should start with "what can I do now to prepare for it?"
    Preparing beforehand incurs little to no risk. Looting afterward incurs GREAT risk. Your reasons for doing it are irrelevant. The atmosphere in which looting becomes the norm is not one that sane people plan to intentionally inject themselves into.
    7052, acidMia, 6811 and 1 others like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

I see your point. Maybe you should send your kids to get groceries. After all, they are much younger and faster than you. They've got a better chance of outrunning the zombies, right?
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links