If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; until you run out the busted window with arms full and get drooped by somebody wanting yours.. or even a stray bullet... the point of ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 120
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

  1. #31
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,492
    until you run out the busted window with arms full and get drooped by somebody wanting yours.. or even a stray bullet... the point of prepping is to avoid looting chaos in the first place! it is a situation you cannot control..you get away with an armload of supplies.. congrats! you stole yourself another 2 days of survival.. if there is anything on those shelves worth dying for.. you are already dead you just don't know it yet in our book!
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

  2. #32
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORTHEAST USA
    Posts
    8,445
    Almost H, that scenario was just a mental exercise, have no intention of doing such a thing.

    The ammo expenditure was an expression of futility.

    Yes, I could put on my ANPVS-7 NVG's and go in, shoot whoever was interfering with me, but it is not logical, it is an offensive move with a high mortality probability.

    Listen, I can right now, shut the doors and wait it out for five years, that is how well I am prepared, been at it for 38 years.

    Why in the hell would I walk into a meat grinder?

    I was there in the Watts riots, I saw what kind of animals people can turn into, I will sit here and defend me and mine.
    Denton and 6811 like this.

  3. #33
    Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    88
    So here is an idea...and probably something I would do if I was in your position. Take up cooking.

    What I mean is start learning to cook from scratch and tell your family that you want to prepare a meal a week and when you make your grocery list, ask for twice what you need. Store the excess somewhere (under your bed, in you closet, etc)

    Another option would be to tell them you want to make meals in a jar for Christmas gifts (lots and lots of recipes on Pinterest). Get the ingredients to make a bunch of different types and put them together. Give away a few but store the rest. Pull one out once in awhile and show the person who cooks the most how easy they are to prepare and you might just get to make more.

    As for water, if your family drinks juice or soda in big bottles, wash them out really well and fill them with water. You will want to treat it, or boil it before use, but at least it is there.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    until you run out the busted window with arms full and get drooped by somebody wanting yours.. or even a stray bullet... the point of prepping is to avoid looting chaos in the first place! it is a situation you cannot control..you get away with an armload of supplies.. congrats! you stole yourself another 2 days of survival.. if there is anything on those shelves worth dying for.. you are already dead you just don't know it yet in our book!
    People won't be shooting each other right off the bat, not when their is still stuff to loot from stores. Plus that week worth of food you get from looting could sustain you long enough to get your stuff together.

    Which do you think would be a worse idea?

    Risking danger in order to secure food or not risking danger and have to deal without?

  6. #35
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22,795
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    People won't be shooting each other right off the bat, not when their is still stuff to loot from stores. Plus that week worth of food you get from looting could sustain you long enough to get your stuff together.

    Which do you think would be a worse idea?

    Risking danger in order to secure food or not risking danger and have to deal without?
    Missing the whole prepping concept, are you?
    When all the lights go out, cars are spotty, no phones, etc., and all across the city, you'd better bet your dollar the zombies will be out in no time. They'll eat you with taters because there'll be nothing to stop them. You won't find cops doing anything but protecting their own families.
    Matter of fact, kiss your family good bye before you go looting. You can't hold the loot and level your rifle.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  7. #36
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Missing the whole prepping concept, are you?
    When all the lights go out, cars are spotty, no phones, etc., and all across the city, you'd better bet your dollar the zombies will be out in no time. They'll eat you with taters because there'll be nothing to stop them. You won't find cops doing anything but protecting their own families.
    Matter of fact, kiss your family good bye before you go looting. You can't hold the loot and level your rifle.
    "Missing the whole prepping concept, are you?"
    If you have supplies stocked up then great for you. But what if you don't? What then? Do you really think only those who stocked up will survive? Or is it that you think only those who stocked up before hand deserves to survive?

    I just want to figure out what I should do if I can't stock up in time. My family isn't rich, and I don't even know if I can talk them into prepping. On my other thread people gave me advise on how to ease my family into the idea, but who knows if it would work? I am going to try tomorrow though.

    " Kiss your family good bye before you go looting."
    It's not like I would go out expecting to loot. But if the stores are shut down and there is no way to buy food then I will do what I have to. Especially if there are already looters.

    " When all the lights go out, cars are spotty, no phones, etc., and all across the city, you'd better bet your dollar the zombies will be out in no time."
    Yes, and I will be among them zombies looting stores if I am not already prepared before hand. The chances of me being singled out can't be that great, especially if I am careful not to step on other people toes.

    "They'll eat you with taters because there'll be nothing to stop them. You won't find cops doing anything but protecting their own families."
    Then I just have to do my best to make myself and my family as small as targets as possible while being ready to defend ourselves if needed.
    Last edited by AlmostHuman; 09-06-2016 at 10:09 PM.
    rthomp77 likes this.

  8. #37
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22,795
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    "Missing the whole prepping concept, are you?"
    If you have supplies stocked up then great for you. But what if you don't? What then? Do you really think only those who stocked up will survive? Or is it that you think only those who stocked up before hand deserves to survive?

    I just want to figure out what I should do if I can't stock up in time. My family isn't rich, and I don't even know if I can talk them into prepping. On my other thread people gave me advise on how to ease my family into the idea, but who knows if it would work? I am going to try tomorrow though.

    " Kiss your family good bye before you go looting."
    It's not like I would go out expecting to loot. But if the stores are shut down and there is no way to buy food then I will do what I have to. Especially if there are already looters.

    " When all the lights go out, cars are spotty, no phones, etc., and all across the city, you'd better bet your dollar the zombies will be out in no time."
    Yes, and I will be among them zombies looting stores if I am not already prepared before hand. The chances of me being singled out can't be that great, especially if I am careful not to step on other people toes.

    "They'll eat you with taters because there'll be nothing to stop them. You won't find cops doing anything but protecting their own families."
    Then I just have to do my best to make myself and my family as small as targets as possible while being ready to defend ourselves if needed.
    Youngun, you are simply not understanding a lot of things.

    It isn't a matter of who I think should or shouldn't make it. Your assertion is juvenile.
    Facts about human behavior are as they are.
    You should be in bed. You can only control what you can control.
    Slippy, preponadime and SittingElf like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  9. #38
    Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Youngun, you are simply not understanding a lot of things.

    It isn't a matter of who I think should or shouldn't make it. Your assertion is juvenile.
    Facts about human behavior are as they are.
    You should be in bed. You can only control what you can control.
    Facts about human nature?

    You mean like the fact that people would tend to go after the biggest target first while being blinded to smaller things? Then I will make myself appear small and take advantage when I can.

    Tell me about these facts of human nature and I can learn how to utilize them to my advantage.
    Last edited by AlmostHuman; 09-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.

  10. #39
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Way up the Shannon
    Posts
    3,685
    My gosh you do realize your on a preppers forum right? It's not a looters forum. If you aren't prepared get prepared.
    A Watchman likes this.

  11. #40
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22,795
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    Facts about human nature?

    You mean like the fact that people would tend to go after the biggest target first while being blinded to smaller things? Then I will make myself appear small and take advantage when I can.

    Tell me about these facts of human nature and I can learn how to utilize them to my advantage.
    Really? That's what you say predators go for?

    Pardon me if I am beginning to doubt you personage.
    A Watchman and SGG like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

 

 
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. How Long Will Your Food Supplies Last You?
    By homegrownrose in forum Food, Health and Fitness Survival
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM
  2. EMP America without electric long term? Never happen
    By budgetprepp-n in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 05:54 AM
  3. Shelves at the CT stores
    By rjd25 in forum News & Links
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-27-2015, 01:35 AM
  4. How to make flat bread or tortillas (is yeast in your long term supplies)
    By AsteroidX in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Back to Top