If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by sideKahr EMP can only be produced by an atomic detonation above approximately 30 miles. There is no danger of fallout from a ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    EMP can only be produced by an atomic detonation above approximately 30 miles. There is no danger of fallout from a blast that high.

As for making purchases, even with cash, after an EMP, I don't think you will be able to. A lot of stores make all the customers leave when the power fails. And they won't sell anything with the registers out because of auto inventory updating. They have their instructions.

When people realize what has happened, that's when the trashcans will go through the windows and merchandise will flow, but I don't want to be a part of that.
    This is exactly how all of my retail companies deal with these things. Power goes out, and all my department heads round up their customers. My employees stay at the front of the store with them, near the windows where there is light. I take one of my department heads with me and we do a sweep of the store and secure the backroom. After 10 minutes I'm ushering my customers out the front door, with apologies, and locking it behind them. After 3 hours my employees go home if power is not restored. In an SHTF scenario, that 3hrs will likely be cut drastically since these are all big retail chain stores. We have no interest in protecting anything once the rocks start flying.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    So there wouldn't even be shopping? Just looting? Surely there would be some stores open.
    Old timey family run businesses that never bought in to the computerized inventory systems. You'll only find those way out of the city.

Eta: they'll be well armed and wary of strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    you may get lucky and find an idiot that will take a hundred dollar bill to let you "buy" some items.. but rest assured you had better be ready to seriously overpay and have to have the cash on you. most here would simply avoid the chaos of "last minute shopping" and get out of dodge or secure the Alamo!
    This is a possibility too, once the shop owners figure out what's what. But the major retail chains will get run down and overtaken.
    Last edited by acidMia; 09-06-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    Slippy and sideKahr like this.
    :: Mia

As most have noted its really quite late in the game to prep. Once its all down you can be ahead of the masses by being able to move; and that could be quite dangerous. I use to think I'd move about 4 am figuring the losers would be asleep by then. Now I'd use the first two hours to bug the hell out (by boat of course).

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    looting won't start til people realize there is no one to help... we saying looting within 48 hrs.. and once it starts.. then shelves going to be clean pretty quick.. likely liquor and electronics first..lol
    Also what is up with them being willing to kill you over a rotting cabbage leaf? If they are going to go that far why wouldn't they just eat a lot of worms and insects?... I actually heard insects taste pretty good if cooked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    As most have noted its really quite late in the game to prep. Once its all down you can be ahead of the masses by being able to move; and that could be quite dangerous. I use to think I'd move about 4 am figuring the losers would be asleep by then. Now I'd use the first two hours to bug the hell out (by boat of course).
    yup.. if you aren't on your way within the first few hrs.. it exponentially lowers your chances... be the guy heading out of town on a bike or boat before others even think to look for a bike or boat (or guy on one) to get out of town.
    stowlin likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Within 48 hours? I figured if people are simply looting like crazy stores would be picked clean of food within the day.
    Depends on the neighborhood; Southside Chicago; Ferguson, MO; South Atlanta; Baltimore; Compton, CA; Detroit, MI; Oakland, CA et. al. will burn quickly.

Other small rural towns will band together, form security, take care of their own and establish some law and order.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Depends on the neighborhood; Southside Chicago; Ferguson, MO; South Atlanta; Baltimore; Compton, CA; Detroit, MI; Oakland, CA et. al. will burn quickly.

Other small rural towns will band together, form security, take care of their own and establish some law and order.
    Well of course small towns will band together. They are a tight knit community already. Cities aren't like that.

Katrina is a excellent case study for your questions
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

Classic example,hours after Katrina passed the looting began! Someone even stole an electric forklift to haul off there loot! When the savages know it's safe for them than all bets are off.
    AlmostHuman likes this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Also what is up with them being willing to kill you over a rotting cabbage leaf? If they are going to go that far why wouldn't they just eat a lot of worms and insects?... I actually heard insects taste pretty good if cooked.
    That kid was a metaphor, if you looked it, referred to a week later, when people are starving and will eat anything, I could have said a wilted carrot.

Most sheeple have no idea what or where to forage, for most food only emanates from a super market, wally world, or McPuke burger.

More than 90% have not a clue, don't think how the food got there or care.

These same people have little food stored nor think they need any, just stop on the way home from work.

The central warehouses that supply the retail stores will not be able to move product without the means to transport it.

Those places will be hit by those who know the locations of them.

Just for self awareness, I run through my mind what to take from the wholesale club I belong to when walking down the aisles.

I also guestimate how many I would have to kill to get out of there with it all, way too much ammo would be expended, I will stay home instead..
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    That kid was a metaphor, if you looked it, referred to a week later, when people are starving and will eat anything, I could have said a wilted carrot.

Most sheeple have no idea what or where to forage, for most food only emanates from a super market, wally world, or McPuke burger.

More than 90% have not a clue, don't think how the food got there or care.

These same people have little food stored nor think they need any, just stop on the way home from work.

The central warehouses that supply the retail stores will not be able to move product without the means to transport it.

Those places will be hit by those who know the locations of them.

Just for self awareness, I run through my mind what to take from the wholesale club I belong to when walking down the aisles.

I also guestimate how many I would have to kill to get out of there with it all, way too much ammo would be expended, I will stay home instead..
    You probably wouldn't have to kill any if you play it smart. In the initial looting people would be fighting over the expensive, but rather useless stuff. Focus on food and other such things, and avoid the more rowdy clutter of people and shouldn't you be fine? Plus it would be dark so that can be useful for avoiding people and not standing out.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links