If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

This is a discussion on If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Very difficult to start prepping while an event you are prepping for is taking place....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: If there is an EMP how long do you think stores supplies would last in cities?

Very difficult to start prepping while an event you are prepping for is taking place.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    EMP can only be produced by an atomic detonation above approximately 30 miles. There is no danger of fallout from a blast that high.

As for making purchases, even with cash, after an EMP, I don't think you will be able to. A lot of stores make all the customers leave when the power fails. And they won't sell anything with the registers out because of auto inventory updating. They have their instructions.

When people realize what has happened, that's when the trashcans will go through the windows and merchandise will flow, but I don't want to be a part of that.
    So there wouldn't even be shopping? Just looting? Surely there would be some stores open.

how are people going to pay?
    the register is electronic.. most people can't figure out change, let alone tax..
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

IF there was an EMP strike, nothing in any retail outlet would be sold.

Within 48 hours the shelves would be stripped by raging, foraging animals that two days earlier were pleasant, social and calm folk.

While they are in the herd, they will kill you for a can of soup or a loaf of bread.

A week later, alone, they will kill you for a rotting cabbage leaf if given the opportunity.

The greatest danger you can face is within a panicked, hungry mob, life then, there, to them is worthless except their own.

ANY store is were NOT to be in that type of situation, you need to be home protecting you and yours with a gun.
    sideKahr, Denton and charito like this.

you may get lucky and find an idiot that will take a hundred dollar bill to let you "buy" some items.. but rest assured you had better be ready to seriously overpay and have to have the cash on you. most here would simply avoid the chaos of "last minute shopping" and get out of dodge or secure the Alamo!
    Slippy likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    So there wouldn't even be shopping? Just looting? Surely there would be some stores open.
    In an EMP strike, none of the registers or CC machines will work.

Further, there will be no power, even if they have a running generator, anything with semi-conductors will be fried.

as for me.. power out, check phone.. phone out.. get worried and check car.. car out.. start cracking my way into the gun safes and figure out how to go retrieve my family wherever they are..
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    IF there was an EMP strike, nothing in any retail outlet would be sold.

Within 48 hours the shelves would be stripped by raging, foraging animals that two days earlier were pleasant, social and calm folk.

While they are in the herd, they will kill you for a can of soup or a loaf of bread.

A week later, alone, they will kill you for a rotting cabbage leaf if given the opportunity.

The greatest danger you can face is within a panicked, hungry mob, life then, there, to them is worthless except their own.

ANY store is were NOT to be in that type of situation, you need to be home protecting you and yours with a gun.
    Within 48 hours? I figured if people are simply looting like crazy stores would be picked clean of food within the day.
    Denton likes this.

looting won't start til people realize there is no one to help... we saying looting within 48 hrs.. and once it starts.. then shelves going to be clean pretty quick.. likely liquor and electronics first..lol
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    When it goes dark ...... I will know it has happened. It will not be a time for "shopping" as I have already performed this necessary task.
    Yep.. and I would say that if I am home - I stay Home. if I am away I get home ASAP...
    A Watchman likes this.
    Be a Berean

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links