What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits?

I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet so I am wondering what I should do if there is something like an EMP before I can get my stuff together.

I know I should fill up containers, tubs, and sinks, with as much water as I can before the water runs out. And hit up a store and buy as much supplies as I can, but what about after that?

If I start running low on food and water should I go to the hills? I camped a few times before, but I never tried living off the land or anything.

I live with my parents and have a 17 yo older sister and two younger brothers. One of them is 13 and the other is nine. I am a fifteen, almost sixteen, year old male. I am the only one in my family in decent shape.
    Denton, RedLion and BrianDelaney like this.

First, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, your question would correctly be answered by writing a book. Really, there is A LOT involved. Read some posts here on EMP using the search function, and I'm sure they will serve as an introduction to your inquiries. It's good that you are thinking about such problems.

Again, glad to have you on board.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Some of your sequence is out of order. When an event occurs, everyone rushes the grocery store. So, you should start putting supplies in before something happens. If you're the only one in good shape, a lot of responsibility may get dumped on your shoulders. Good for you for taking steps to ensure your family's safety.
    And not just EMP, but natural disasters, fires, etc need to be thought of. Is your family on board with this, or are you the only one considering prepping right now?
    The answer could change how we on the forum answer your questions. A man prepping to take care of a family that is not involved brings about special challenges, particularly if you are not the "breadwinner".
    wnlee04 and acidMia like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

What to do is answered when you think about all the things that will go offline after something like an EMP strike occurs.

Obviously, electricity goes out. What all goes out with electricity?

With the ensuing chaos, what trucker would even try to enter the cities - assuming the trucks still run?

How many hours after the occurrence would the stores be stripped clean?

How long would it take before rogues began entering homes in search of food?
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

@sideKahr pretty much summed it up. There may be much you don't know but that's why you are here, to learn. Lots of good info here and around the net. You just need to seek it out.

The main thing to do in that situation is keep a clear head, stay calm and think. If you run low on food running to the hills will do nothing but place you in the hills with no food. You'll need to learn about foraging and making traps.

Don't let it overwhelm you, we all started somewhere.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.
    wnlee04 and acidMia like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Welcome aboard.

First I applaud you at such an early age recognizing that you have to prepare for disasters in life, acts of nature or man made. sideKahr is right, there is a tremendous amount of information on this site and all over the net.

But in a few words here are the basics, shelter, water, food, and then someway to defend it all against those folks who did not prepare.

I can understand cost with someone your age, as suggestion here is a system you might try. If you are food shopping with your parents, if they pickup a can of soup ask if you can buy one more of the same thing, once you are home put that extra can somewhere where you are building up your supplies. Granted, that may take awhile but it is better than nothing and if you get just a few things per trip the folks should not gripe at that too much. If you have a part time job or collecting bottles and cans to turn in, you could use some of those funds to buy items other than food, like first aid supplies. Again it won't be easy but you will be amazed how much you can collect by following these few steps.

Bugging out or staying put is another entire story, so much depends on an individuals situation, no one answer fits everyone's circumstance. Camping skills are always good. Since "living off the land" would probably not suit you or your family right now just focus on obtaining the supplies you need to keep everyone fed and hydrated.

Now having something to defend what you have is a completely different subject. You will have to discuss that with you parents.

Good luck to you.
    acidMia likes this.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet so I am wondering what I should do if there is something like an EMP before I can get my stuff together.

I know I should fill up containers, tubs, and sinks, with as much water as I can before the water runs out. And hit up a store and buy as much supplies as I can, but what about after that?

If I start running low on food and water should I go to the hills? I camped a few times before, but I never tried living off the land or anything.

I live with my parents and have a 17 yo older sister and two younger brothers. One of them is 13 and the other is nine. I am a fifteen, almost sixteen, year old male. I am the only one in my family in decent shape.
    First off, get in better shape. Your almost 16, you ought to be in great shape.

If an EMP hits, leave the city with some supplies to get yourself to farm land. Find a farmer who is in need of a strong back and weak minded young person. Get a job with farmer and learn some self-sustainability lessons.

Good luck!
    wnlee04 likes this.

Are you in a big city, small town, rural, suburban much depends on where you are. Take baby steps and learn as much as you can from this forum and other sources. Most of us here are preparing for any type of event from fires and hurricanes to a total government meltdown. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, except we don't worry about Sasquatch, because no one believes he really exsists
    acidMia likes this.
    Strive to Survive and Thrive
    Hidden Content

Do any of us truly exist? Or are we just figments of each other's collective imagination?
    Sasquatch, wnlee04 and acidMia like this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    First off, get in better shape. Your almost 16, you ought to be in great shape.

If an EMP hits, leave the city with some supplies to get yourself to farm land. Find a farmer who is in need of a strong back and weak minded young person. Get a job with farmer and learn some self-sustainability lessons.

Good luck!
    Almosthuman -
    Now you may think ol slippy messing with you and giving you grief with his reply.
    What it is actually is a nice cool drink of bitter reality - If you have no supplies, no skills, and no self protection, guess what? You will end up someones bitch. So will mom sis and lil bro. If you don't want that to happen take action now.
    Given your age you're probably still in school, have no job for money, and can't purchase a fire arm legally. These are big disadvantages for you but not the end of the world. YOU can still build a skill set. You tube is full of great how to videos on survival and survival skills. Get busy right now, I mean today learning to build fire, shelter, navigate by stars or fixed landmarks, harvest wild edibles, etc. The list is endless and its free.
    Next is to start talking to mom or whoever does the shopping about buying some extras each trip to the store. Lay in extra dry goods such as beans, rice, pasta, powdered milk, flour, corn meal. These items are cheap and easily stored and will keep you butt alive if SHTF.
    If the whole family is on board it will be easier, if not then you have your work cut out for you. Either way congratulations it seems that the scales have been removed from your eyes and your seeing the world for what it really is and not what TPTB want you to think it is.
    Slippy, wnlee04 and acidMia like this.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links