What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits? - Page 8
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits?

This is a discussion on What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by SGG You're not fooling anyone. But for the sake of the thread.... all of this was right around 20 bucks... it's not ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: What would you do if you were stuck in a city when an EMP hits?

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    You're not fooling anyone.

But for the sake of the thread.... all of this was right around 20 bucks... it's not ideal, but this will last a while.

I too have budget constraints so I just do a little bit at a time. It's not hard to start getting some stuff on the shelves, you just have to make the effort to get a few extra things here and there

I am not fooling anyone? What does that even mean?

Banned

What would I do if I was in a city and an EMP hit killing my vehicle??? Strap on my GHB (get home bag) and start walking really fast. I won't live in a city.
    'nuf said.
    SGG and Slippy like this.

Not sure if trolling or too much Fallout 4 but stockpiling some pound cakes, shooting your dad's Saturday Night Special and buying a sniper suit or something really is not going to help you survive in a city if anything struck - meteor, EMP, godzilla, a sex comet from Jupiter....

Having been to some underdeveloped (or undeveloped) countries in South America, Africa and the Middle East, when bad stuff happens it is a free-for-all. Those people over there are used to living in squalor and perpetual war and still go medieval on guys/girls/kids over bottles of dirty water, some rice, a piece of goat or whatever - you see/hear some really brutal stuff. That is a day-to-day over there, they are hardened and mentally prepared.

Here in America - 99.5% of the population is not. Watching someone get shot on LiveLeak or scraping your knee or fighting off an angry raccoon doesn't count either. The carmel lattes and smart phones won this round, people are soft and complacent but as humans they WILL revert to their primordial emotions and instincts and all hell will break loose. Remember Ferguson? Baltimore? Hell, Vancouver when they lost the Stanley Cup? Normal 'civilized' first world people went absolutely bonkers and started burning, looting, shooting, raping - look at Chicago.

Now take that depravity (which is a very small amount), and apply it to EVERYONE - if some catatrophic event happened, people kick into self-preservation mode and will be stealing stuff, destroying things, all those pretty girls in class with you (and even the boys) are going to get raped, parents beat, people and small children killed. In the favelas in Brazil when BOPE or Brazilian Army came through and knocked over a section and cleared out of there, hell broke loose within and hour or 2 - I'd say it would happen faster in a city setting.

Your only chance to avoid grave bodily harm and/or death is to get the hell out of there, and yes, you might have to leave your family behind - they can get killed, you can get killed, they/you can slow the group down - all concept of civilization, nobility, chivalry and all that other white-knight, heroes-at-the-end-of-the-world stuff goes out the damn window. They don't call it "Hell on Earth" for no reason - no AMC Zombie show or Hollywood movie can capture what it is like to be where the get down gets down, feel me?

To be honest - something like this probably will not happen. Everyone likes fantasizing about banks collapsing, the UN coming here to throw flowers at people, a tentacled sex comet from Jupiter plunging the Earth into eternal sodomy, or whatever other crazy tinfoil proposition is dreamed up by InfoWars, but no one wants it to happen. It won't - it is 2016, everyone likes being fat, watching naked chicks shoot guns, eat processed food, drink cheap beer and fake moonshine from WaWa or BP and no one is going to mess that up by hacking a power relay station or airbursting a tactical nuclear device (good luck being stealthy about that one) over a major city.

Concentrate on school, get a job, learn a trade, and don't worry about what will happen because you probably will not live very long through it.
    acidMia and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

SGG

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    I am not fooling anyone? What does that even mean?
    Is that all you took away from my post? In the words of Auntie....."hmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    .... Hell, Vancouver when they lost the Stanley Cup? Normal 'civilized' first world people went absolutely bonkers ...
    I really like that Canada made your top 3 list of mini SHTF scenarios
    :: Mia

The last time a team from Canada won the Stanley Cup was 1993 when les habitants from Montreal beat Barry Melrose's LA Kings led by The Great One. That's 23 years for all you mathematically challenged Canadians that US teams have hoisted Lord Stanley's big ole cereal bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    Not sure if trolling or too much Fallout 4 but stockpiling some pound cakes, shooting your dad's Saturday Night Special and buying a sniper suit or something really is not going to help you survive in a city if anything struck - meteor, EMP, godzilla, a sex comet from Jupiter....

Having been to some underdeveloped (or undeveloped) countries in South America, Africa and the Middle East, when bad stuff happens it is a free-for-all. Those people over there are used to living in squalor and perpetual war and still go medieval on guys/girls/kids over bottles of dirty water, some rice, a piece of goat or whatever - you see/hear some really brutal stuff. That is a day-to-day over there, they are hardened and mentally prepared.

Here in America - 99.5% of the population is not. Watching someone get shot on LiveLeak or scraping your knee or fighting off an angry raccoon doesn't count either. The carmel lattes and smart phones won this round, people are soft and complacent but as humans they WILL revert to their primordial emotions and instincts and all hell will break loose. Remember Ferguson? Baltimore? Hell, Vancouver when they lost the Stanley Cup? Normal 'civilized' first world people went absolutely bonkers and started burning, looting, shooting, raping - look at Chicago.

Now take that depravity (which is a very small amount), and apply it to EVERYONE - if some catatrophic event happened, people kick into self-preservation mode and will be stealing stuff, destroying things, all those pretty girls in class with you (and even the boys) are going to get raped, parents beat, people and small children killed. In the favelas in Brazil when BOPE or Brazilian Army came through and knocked over a section and cleared out of there, hell broke loose within and hour or 2 - I'd say it would happen faster in a city setting.

Your only chance to avoid grave bodily harm and/or death is to get the hell out of there, and yes, you might have to leave your family behind - they can get killed, you can get killed, they/you can slow the group down - all concept of civilization, nobility, chivalry and all that other white-knight, heroes-at-the-end-of-the-world stuff goes out the damn window. They don't call it "Hell on Earth" for no reason - no AMC Zombie show or Hollywood movie can capture what it is like to be where the get down gets down, feel me?

To be honest - something like this probably will not happen. Everyone likes fantasizing about banks collapsing, the UN coming here to throw flowers at people, a tentacled sex comet from Jupiter plunging the Earth into eternal sodomy, or whatever other crazy tinfoil proposition is dreamed up by InfoWars, but no one wants it to happen. It won't - it is 2016, everyone likes being fat, watching naked chicks shoot guns, eat processed food, drink cheap beer and fake moonshine from WaWa or BP and no one is going to mess that up by hacking a power relay station or airbursting a tactical nuclear device (good luck being stealthy about that one) over a major city.

Concentrate on school, get a job, learn a trade, and don't worry about what will happen because you probably will not live very long through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by acidMia View Post
    I really like that Canada made your top 3 list of mini SHTF scenarios

Dear SOFsurvivor:

In reference to your comment that it will never happen, I would just like to say, sir, that you are not only a spoil sport, but a veritable buzz kill.
    I wish you to know that your statement, while meant to educate and enlighten, has crushed my motivation to continue on. For years I have dreamt, nay, embraced the thought of a sex comet crashing to earth, and my life slowly being snuffed out by the demented, nymphomaniacal actions of a zombified Swedish Bikini team.
    However, your well intended speech has only succeeded in the downfall of my spirit.
    I may one day forgive you, but will you ever truly be able to forgive yourself for ruining an old man's hope for a glorious and meaningful death?
    Good night, sir, good night.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    Dear SOFsurvivor:

In reference to your comment that it will never happen, I would just like to say, sir, that you are not only a spoil sport, but a veritable buzz kill.
    I wish you to know that your statement, while meant to educate and enlighten, has crushed my motivation to continue on. For years I have dreamt, nay, embraced the thought of a sex comet crashing to earth, and my life slowly being snuffed out by the demented, nymphomaniacal actions of a zombified Swedish Bikini team.
    However, your well intended speech has only succeeded in the downfall of my spirit.
    I may one day forgive you, but will you ever truly be able to forgive yourself for ruining an old man's hope for a glorious and meaningful death?
    I am kinda bummed about this myself. How disappointing. Well, guess I go back to being fat, lazy, and stupid while waiting for my inevitable death at the hands child looters and super bugs of long range death and destruction.
    Coastie dad likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostHuman View Post
    I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet so I am wondering what I should do if there is something like an EMP before I can get my stuff together.

I know I should fill up containers, tubs, and sinks, with as much water as I can before the water runs out. And hit up a store and buy as much supplies as I can, but what about after that?

If I start running low on food and water should I go to the hills? I camped a few times before, but I never tried living off the land or anything.

I live with my parents and have a 17 yo older sister and two younger brothers. One of them is 13 and the other is nine. I am a fifteen, almost sixteen, year old male. I am the only one in my family in decent shape.
    I started out with ready-to-eat food (doesn't need cooking at all) like soups, chef boyardee, pork and beans, stews etc.., and bottled water. Make sure you check the expiry dates on them when buying. You want them to last longer.
    Supplement that with peanut butter and assorted crackers. I make sure I have a couple loaves of bread in the freezer at all times.

Buy what you'll normally eat so you can use up your stuff, and nothing gets date expired.
    Replenish what you use.

Consider first aid supplies and medicines for flu, colds and coughs, etc. what your family normally use in a year.
    If you've got someone with allergies, make sure you've got epipen.

Consider how many people are with you and you'll have an idea how much the family eats in a day.
    Then plan for weeks.

It can be overwhelming planning and wanting to buy everything you need. Start with the basics.
    You can't do it all at once. Buy extra whenever you go to the grocery (even if it's just a day's worth of food).

The important thing is to get started.

Also, when the SHTF, the very first thing you will eat will be the perishables in your fridge.
    Then, you'll eat the ones in your freezer.
    Last edited by charito; 09-08-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    Dear SOFsurvivor:

I mean...there is still the Donkey Show Virus of Cabo that can always spread and plunge to world into debauchery?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links