Can water be obtained from a home's hot water tank?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Can water be obtained from a home's hot water tank? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; In an emergency can water be obtained from a home's hot water tank? If so how do you get water from it? Is there a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can water be obtained from a home's hot water tank?

Banished

In an emergency can water be obtained from a home's hot water tank?

If so how do you get water from it? Is there a valve or do you need to puncture it?

Once obtained do you need to boil it before drinking? I figure you would.

Yes...they all have a drain....and no, it would not be absolutely necessary to boil..What do you think the "boiler" does in the first place??!!
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

where's your sign ?
    SittingElf likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If you don't mind a little case of Legionaires Disease you can drink the water from the tank.

Ole' Blackjackass plans on stealing YOUR hot water heater, just needs you to show him how it works.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    If you don't mind a little case of Legionaires Disease you can drink the water from the tank.
    Wouldn't you think that a showerhead does a better job of exposing you to legionella than drinking it IF it was present in your hot water ?

Quote Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post
    Wouldn't you think that a showerhead does a better job of exposing you to legionella than drinking it IF it was present in your hot water ?
    I think it can grow in a slowly cooling tank.

It would have to go anaerobic before the bacteria would have a chance, and in a closed system, that would not be likely anytime soon.

A few drops of bleach would be an appropriate prophylaxis against any bacteria or virus in ANY water after the fall.

The bigger danger would be cholera from streams, rivers, and standing water due to decomposing bodies....both human and animal.
    Operator6 and Prepared One like this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Banned

True, if the bacteria is present. The bacteria likes warm water. You would need to aspirate the bacteria while drinking it in order to get legionella.

The showerhead is using some of the water from your water heater if you mix hot and cold. So if its present in the tank then you're probably already being exposed.

So if you've been showering in it, I don't see a big risk of legionella by drinking it.

Boiling it would kill any legionella.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SittingElf View Post
    It would have to go anaerobic before the bacteria would have a chance, and in a closed system, that would not be likely anytime soon.

A few drops of bleach would be an appropriate prophylaxis against any bacteria or virus in ANY water after the fall.

The bigger danger would be cholera from streams, rivers, and standing water due to decomposing bodies....both human and animal.
    Legionella can grow like wild fire in a closed system if the conditions are right.

You're knowledgeable. .....I like you.
    Last edited by Operator6; 09-05-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links