Prepper Tips and Idea Thread - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Prepper Tips and Idea Thread

This is a discussion on Prepper Tips and Idea Thread within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Green unroasted coffee basically stores indefinitely without even being stored in an oxygen free environment. We just keep it in the burlap sack that it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Prepper Tips and Idea Thread

Green unroasted coffee basically stores indefinitely without even being stored in an oxygen free environment. We just keep it in the burlap sack that it come in, stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Roasting can be accomplished with a frying pan, a baker's whisk and a colander, and takes less than 15 minutes for 1/2 pound. Besides being about a third the price of store-bought beans, freshly roasted coffee tastes far better than anything from Starbucks, Peete's or Tim Horton's.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Green unroasted coffee basically stores indefinitely without even being stored in an oxygen free environment. We just keep it in the burlap sack that it come in, stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Roasting can be accomplished with a frying pan, a baker's whisk and a colander, and takes less than 15 minutes for 1/2 pound. Besides being about a third the price of store-bought beans, freshly roasted coffee tastes far better than anything from Starbucks, Peete's or Tim Horton's.
    Great! I thought about this before but it slipped my mind, I've seen people use a air popcorn popper to roast the beans, only good if your generator is running.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Great! I thought about this before but it slipped my mind, I've seen people use a air popcorn popper to roast the beans, only good if your generator is running.
    Dean's Beans - Fair Trade Coffee Fair Trade Coffee Roasters Organic Coffee Roasters

Coffee Bean Direct

The Dean's Beans people are a bit cheaper per pound, but they do charge shipping (which can get expensive).

Coffee Bean Direct is free shipping on orders over 25lbs.

They are both great companies to deal with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No offense Inor, but those dealers are basically $7.50 a pound which is retail rates at the box stores.

Understanding getting green beans is a "lets fill up a 5 gallon pail with coffee" maybe try these places that I have not used but found in about 2 minutes putting "distributor" in the search window:

Green coffee beans wholesale

Wholesale green coffee. Great prices: 50+ varieties. Ships next day

My cousin actually has a roasting business in the Michigan area, I will contact him for the best sources once I get my fields plowed and my garden in and my orchard planted and...
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    No offense Inor, but those dealers are basically $7.50 a pound which is retail rates at the box stores.

Understanding getting green beans is a "lets fill up a 5 gallon pail with coffee" maybe try these places that I have not used but found in about 2 minutes putting "distributor" in the search window:

Green coffee beans wholesale

Wholesale green coffee. Great prices: 50+ varieties. Ships next day

My cousin actually has a roasting business in the Michigan area, I will contact him for the best sources once I get my fields plowed and my garden in and my orchard planted and...
    HAHAHA!!! Thank-you sir! The last time I ordered was about 3 mos ago and I think I paid around $140 per 25 pound bag. - Still much more than your links. I'll give them a try next time I need to order.

Please send along a follow up once you talk to your cousin.
    Last edited by Inor; 05-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Kidz, you forgot the tin-foil hat. JK
    Seriously though, I thought I read somewhere that it takes 1/4 teaspoon of bleach per gallon? And I just bought bleach which said it was 33% more concentrated. Actually, all the bleach jugs had that on the labels. So how much would you use per gallon in that situation? I'm so confused. All of my drinking water has reg bleach (1/4 tspn) per gal. Is that too much? How long does that water stay safe? I've used it in my garden and on house plants after 6 months (w/ the 1/4 tspn bleach/gal) and it was fine. No ill effects. Help me Obiwan Kanobi. You're my only hope.
    LMAO! Now I'm confused! I wouldn't change up what your doing. I found that on a pepper's website that I didn't even think to link it to. I was searching for my own knowledge to store away for future use. Humm, I started to do the math, but not sure if that guide listed above is based on concentrated or not type bleach??

Good Question!

Liquid bleach - the kind you buy at the store for doing laundry - is between 3 and 5% sodium hypochlorite and that is what you should use to purify and/or store water. Don't get the scented bleach or the color safe bleach and I stay away from the "brand names" and look at the percentage of sodium hypochlorite. I buy the 5% bleaches and use eight to ten drops per gallon of water.
    Bleach is also good for treating cuts and scrapes that are not major, cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, needles, surgical tools and even your skin as long as it is used in the appropriate concentrations. Along with liquid dish soap (the kind you use when doing dishes by hand) tou can do any cleaning job you have - including bathing and washing your hair.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links