Let's talk communcation
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Let's talk communcation

This is a discussion on Let's talk communcation within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What do you experts think are maybe say, the top 5 choices for two way communication, handheld, portable radios? What about weather? I'm starting with ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Let's talk communcation

Let's talk communcation

What do you experts think are maybe say, the top 5 choices for two way communication, handheld, portable radios? What about weather? I'm starting with a clean slate and I'd appreciate your advise and opinions. Thanks, JR

Radios need two things...
    A. Electricity
    B. Someone with in range with a radio. And electricity.

I think radios will work for some time. Your smaller hand held or vehicle portable radios like HAM, FRS/GMRS and CB will be best, but ultimately (and probably quicker than you think) we will revert to the printed word and passing notes like 5th graders.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Just a thought, but what about pigeons? They worked well in WWI and WWII.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We have motorola handheld's that have GMRS,NOAA emergency band and 44 channels(i think) with a 32 mile range,they ran about $80 each with the recharging bases,but I also have a small solar charger that can charge one at a time and a "pocket socket" crank charger.The battery pack in the radio's can be replaced with 4AA's regular or rechargables.I keep all of these and spare batteries in my faraday cage.I'm hoping this keeps them running for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bennettvm View Post
    Just a thought, but what about pigeons? They worked well in WWI and WWII.
    Plus, super bonus, you can eat them if they don't cooperate!

Quote Originally Posted by grinder37 View Post
    We have motorola handheld's that have GMRS,NOAA emergency band and 44 channels(i think) with a 32 mile range...
    That's in perfect laboratory conditions. My radios advertise a 20 mile range but barely make a half mile and that is in some pretty good desert conditions and over open water. I've found my FRS/GMRS radios to be utterly craptastically useless. It is easier to whisper to the people I want to talk to than to blab on those static machines.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    That's in perfect laboratory conditions. My radios advertise a 20 mile range but barely make a half mile and that is in some pretty good desert conditions and over open water. I've found my FRS/GMRS radios to be utterly craptastically useless. It is easier to whisper to the people I want to talk to than to blab on those static machines.
    No arguement there,my first set was motorola (i'm thinking 17mile range) i got off of ebay,when they showed up they looked like a kids toy you'd get at walmart,couldn't believe it as motorola used to be a quality name.Went to radio shack and bought much better models,however,even the better radios say right in the manual that the noted range is with an unobstructed line of site,buildings,terrain and anything else between the radios will shorten the overall range.The first set was squak boxes that could barely make it from one end of my property to the other.The new set has headsets with them and are pretty quiet,i've gotten over 15 miles of range while riding my quad in the woods and in some pretty hilly terrain,so the second set is definately a huge improvement over the tinker toys I tried first (gave those to the kids to tear up).But buyer beware,what was once a decent trusted name brand now has "made in china" all over them.

Two shots for yes, one shot for no!

Keep in mind the GMRS radios usually have 3 different power ranges based upon the channel you select for instance if you have a 25 mile radio it will probably look like this:

Channel 1-5 is true GMRS with maximum range, you may also have a feature that gives you a low - high setting.

Channel 6-15 is (I think FRS) with a lower range

Channel 16 and higher is lower yet

The point is to read your owners manual to find out, I hunt with a party of 4 and can be separated several miles without line of sight and we can get the GMRS radios to work really well by keeping in the 1-4 channels.

One communications item not mentioned is the Ta-312 field telephone, I have 4 of these in my faraday cage and 1200 meters of wire. I am thinking of putting in a OP this summer and will put in some land line between that and my house.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I know zilch about 2-way radios but if I was getting one the main question would be "Who would I want to talk to and how far away are they?"
    For example if we've got relatives and friends all within about 5 miles range, I should imagine cheap simple walky-talkies would do.
    But for contacting people further afield out to say 25 miles I think we'd have to invest in CB radios.
    And if we wanted to chat with people on the other side of the country, HAM radio would be the way to go.
    paraquack likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links