Let's talk communcation - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Let's talk communcation

This is a discussion on Let's talk communcation within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; There are lots of 'RDF Foxhunt' clubs out there who organise competitions to have fun tracking down small radio transmitters ('foxes') planted by fellow members ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Let's talk communcation

There are lots of 'RDF Foxhunt' clubs out there who organise competitions to have fun tracking down small radio transmitters ('foxes') planted by fellow members around forests, cities etc.
    The tracking equipment is very simple like this mean-looking dood has got, so in a Doomsday world the starving zombs could soon home in on our radio transmissions and come eat us, or even worse orbiting alien ships could swoop down along our radio beams to abduct us and subject us to highly improper unspeakable medical experiments.
    Remember, the Jap Task Force successfully snuck up on Pearl Harbor across half the Pacific by maintaining strict radio silence, so our best strategy would be to follow suit to avoid giving away our position, and only talk on the radio to people if we bloody well HAVE to. The zombs can't eat us if they can't find us..

A 'Foxhunter'-

Introduction to Amateur Radio Direction Finding | Southgate Amateur Radio News

Johnny blows his cover..
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 04-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I just bought one of these babies yesterday. I've heard good things. Never used a HAM before, but I'm fixin on getting my HAM license.

Amazon.com: BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version): Car Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by preppermama View Post
    I just bought one of these babies yesterday. I've heard good things. Never used a HAM before, but I'm fixin on getting my HAM license.

Amazon.com: BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version): Car Electronics
    I am a ham and also have the uv-5r. You won't regret it. It's a good little radio for not a lot of money. Me and my friends have these because they are programmable for freq's that you normally wouldn't (and couldn't legally right now) use. A ham license is inexpensive and good for 10 years.

With the exception of a few people, like some that live around Leon, the ham community are pretty darn good people too and willing to help you all they can.
    preppermama and acfink like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I am a ham and also have the uv-5r. You won't regret it. It's a good little radio for not a lot of money. Me and my friends have these because they are programmable for freq's that you normally wouldn't (and couldn't legally right now) use. A ham license is inexpensive and good for 10 years.

With the exception of a few people, like some that live around Leon, the ham community are pretty darn good people too and willing to help you all they can.
    I figured the uv-5r would be a good way to try it out without having to invest some bigtime cash. It's gonna be here Friday. I can't wait to get it setup.

I also picked up a copy of Nurse Amy's book with Doc Bones: The Doom and Bloom(tm) Survival Medicine Handbook: Keep your loved ones healthy in every disaster, from wildfires to a complete societal collapse: Joseph Alton M.D., Amy Alton ARNP: 9780615563237: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by preppermama; 04-17-2013 at 09:14 PM.

I also have my HAM radio license and I use it everyday. one of the radio's I own is the Baofeng uv-5r, and it is a great little radio for the money it is about 40-50$ so it's cheap and it's an effective radio. it is pretty cool to be able to program multiple different channels/freq. from - Ham freq. (2 meter and 440) /weather freq. /fire,police,EMS dispatch freq. / GMRS freq. / and I think maybe FRS freq. (not 100% sure on that one), and if it was to break, it not a real big deal because its only 40-50$ and not 150$.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    ...they are programmable for freq's that you normally wouldn't (and couldn't legally right now) use...
    Like???
    For example???

I only ask because I'm pursuing a HAM license and I want to strictly adhere to the law. One of these radios is on my list and I do not want to inadvertently break the law due to my lack of experience.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links