Ammo can for EMP protection?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ammo can for EMP protection? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I've heard that a 50 cal ammo can (us army) is a good choice to store electronics (radios, etc) for EMP protection. True?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ammo can for EMP protection?

I've heard that a 50 cal ammo can (us army) is a good choice to store electronics (radios, etc) for EMP protection. True?
    dwight55 likes this.

Best guess is yes but make sure the contents do not touch the can, wrap them in static bags if you have them
    dwight55 likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I'm not familiar with the term "static bag". Would you kindly provide more information? Thanks, JR

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Static-Bags are actually "Anti Static Bags." They are a soft plastic bag that you usually get electronics in. They are either a light pink or silvery metallic looking bag. As thin as they are, they work GREAT - as long as there is no hole. A tiny pinhole can render them useless.

Amazon.com: Antistatic Bags, Resealable, 6X10, 10 Pack: Computers & Accessories

I would still line the ammo can with something non-conductive. The hardware stores sell truck bed lining in spray cans. It is pretty good stuff for a wide array of projects that have nothing to do with a truck bed.

RustOleum.com
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

http://www.esdjournal.com/techpapr/ryne/esdbags.htm

The above will give you more info than you probably want to know johnnyringo

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Static-Bags are actually "Anti Static Bags." They are a soft plastic bag that you usually get electronics in. They are either a light pink or silvery metallic looking bag. As thin as they are, they work GREAT - as long as there is no hole. A tiny pinhole can render them useless.

Amazon.com: Antistatic Bags, Resealable, 6X10, 10 Pack: Computers & Accessories

I would still line the ammo can with something non-conductive. The hardware stores sell truck bed lining in spray cans. It is pretty good stuff for a wide array of projects that have nothing to do with a truck bed.

RustOleum.com
    I was thinking you'd want to insulate the item in the can from the can itself and started thinking about that rubberizing stuff you can dip screwdriver handles in to shield yourself from electricity. I'm sure that stuff can be painted on with a heavy duty brush, the spray bed liner would be a whole lot easier to use though. Rubberized undercoating might work also.

-Infidel

Polyethylene foam, from wrapping of electronics, etc.

Looks like that big old ugly mortar round can I got off Ebay last year will get some service now.

It was a lark buy, . . . saw it, . . . bid on it, . . . got it. Thanks to all of the good advice here, . . . it'll get put in service, . . . hoping I never have to rely on it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have made several, just line the inside with heavy cardboard. I used a refrigerator box, cut to fit the insides and top. I put a piece of 550 cord through the top so when you put it in, all you have to do is pull the rope to remove it. Line the entire inside, bottom and top, (top has the 550 cord), so nothing can touch metal and your fine.

Some of the best advice I got off this site was to test it by putting a cell phone in it and calling it. If the cell phone rings, it is not good enough. If the cell phone does not ring, It MIGHT be good enough. Following that advice, we made our EMP protector, did our tests, and once they succeeded went three steps further. The rest is in God's hands now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links