What is most important when choosing/creating a BOL?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is most important when choosing/creating a BOL? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; There are many ways in which to prepare a BOL, this would include but isn't limited to building an underground bunker, walls, setting up security ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is most important when choosing/creating a BOL?

There are many ways in which to prepare a BOL, this would include but isn't limited to building an underground bunker, walls, setting up security cameras, motion sensors, water well...etc. In terms of location you could choose somewhere remote, more modern, in a warm climate, cold climate, dry, wet...etc. This list goes on and on. However, it is all dependent on what scenario you are prepping for. So, my question to everyone here is what do you consider to be the most important/must have features to a BOL? Maybe you want a large building in the woods somewhere that would be impervious to attackers. But, if the scenario is, say, a foreign invasion, it may be a better idea to have a bunker as opposed to a large house that is good for defense. Going undetected would be better than physical barriers for protection. This is just a thought to get the ball rolling, but please feel free to share you thoughts and let us all know what you feel would be the most important aspect to a BOL.
    "Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near".

- Revelation 1:3

Senior Member R.I.P.

Water
    Water
    Water

And in that order.

You have to be able to survive the initial storm be it tornado, hurricane, or whatever. After that its having palatable water.
    Last edited by HuntingHawk; 04-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    paraquack and Montana Rancher like this.

What Hawk said, Water, where there is water there will be wildlife, meaning food. Lying low unnoticed is the best route I'd say in any situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah that's a good point, water seems to be the key factor in determining all of the other factors. Water determines geography, climate, location...etc.
    "Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near".

Of course water is important. However its also often over stated. Look at the rain fall for the territory you are seeking. I have desert property, you'd think I'd be panicked about water, but I am not. The BOL territory averages just 5.1-10 inches a year and I don't believe its ever been less then 4.25 in recorded history. With a reasonable amount of space you can gather a "TON" of water off that little rain each year. Rain water still needs treatment and filtration but that is something you have to bring to just about any BOL.
    File:Average precipitation in the lower 48 states of the USA.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I chose my spot so its out of sight to any road way, hard to get too, and thus easy to defend but with several exit strategies.
    Not Crazy Yet likes this.

That's a good point, as long as the rainfall was reasonably present, you could theoretically have your BOL anywhere you wanted as long as you had some sort of filtration system for the water. That's something I never thought of before, thanks for that.

Using rain water also requires some significant storage, but a simple tank liner and shovel can get you a lot of space to accumulate water.
    I would suggest those in the cities look at their roof, and do a calculation for how much rain water comes off their roof line - now please
    note off a roof is some ugly water that needs a pre filtration, then treatment, then real filtration but its actually a lot of water. My home
    is only 1200' in the city and it would provide for me, my wife and dogs easily where I live so long as I can store enough between each
    rain fall. I figure 3 gallons a day and 180 days an I can get through the worst drought ever to hit these parts. Not too mention if you
    have trees (which I do) you can get a lot of condensation if it was that bad.

Yeah I think water is the most serious consideration. Without it you really got a whole lot of nothing. Not only do you need it for your consumption, but you need it for washing clothes, personal hygine, food prep, your garden and your live stock. I specifically chose the location of mine becuase it backs up to a small private lake I share with a few neighbors. While it sometimes drops 4 feet or so in drought years, its pretty deep and always has water in it and is very unlikely to go dry without several years of severe drought in a row.

I think the next thing one needs to look at is having land that has decent soil. Its great that you have that huge stash of groceries in the basement but those are consumables and will eventually be gone. You need a way to replenish it and that will be by gardening. It takes a pretty substantual garden to grow enough food for a family of four. If your soil is poor then it takes even more space. I think one needs to really look at their weather and growing season too. A longer season means a smaller garden and a longer period where you can use the produce fresh requiring less canning and preserving which is more additional work. Yeah one could use a green house to extend the season but for many having a green house that large is not realistic. I would look for a very long growing season and decent soil that can be amended with minimal work and effort.

I would also look for a piece of property with some trees. Not all trees but a good amount with a mix of open areas. Such areas will hold a wider variety of game generally speaking and such areas will also allow for you to raise some live stock pretty easy too. It will also provide you some wood for fire making and some construction materials as well. Those trees will also provide some cover and concealment too as well.

As for building structures on the property, I like the high speed low drag approach. Building a straight up bunker is great but often expensive. Thats cool if you got long arms and deep pockets but most of us dont live the rich and shameless life style. I went with a concrete block structure thats pretty much earth bermed all the way around on the sides. This gave me a easily concealed abode in which to reside that wont easily be discovered like the typical stick structure. Being earth bermed, its also sheltered well against the hot summers here and windy cold winters although they are kind of short. This made keeping cool in the summer easier and keeping warm in the winter a lot easier. It also shelters me in the high straightline winds we often have here, hail storms and the occasional tornado that might pay me a visit. It will withstand a wild grass fire and it cant be easily fire bombed either with a molotov cocktail and a match to go. While it can be over ran, it is easily defended and it will cost the attackers dearly for their success. Its a great place to hunker down is relative safety for the long haul. It was pretty cheap to build and pretty easy to build with just basic masonry skills.

There are many more considerations but this would be my top 4 priorities 8 days a week!

I agree with the above posts. I also think that one of the most important features of a BOL is location. I don't mean in a tactical sense, although that is also true. I mean in the sense that if the situation truly arises where you are forced to leave your home to get to it, can you really get to it? I have heard of countless people who live in cities, large and small, and plan of bugging out to a location hundreds of miles away. IMO, it just is not realistic. There will be man-made and natural roadblocks, choke points, and armed, desparate people who will shoot at anything moving. If you have to cross a bridge to get to your BOL, I hope you have multiple other routes. If you are not fortunate enough to currently live at your BOL, you should plan on being able to get there on foot if need be. In reality, this will a hundred times more difficult than it seems.

Having the right neighbors is a good thing also even if they are a few miles away., Farmers make great neighbours they will have milk and
    most have huge gardens and they can a ton of stuff every year and there a honest bunch that are always willing to do some trading.
    I chose my spot in a desolate spot with a extra well the kind you pull your water up with a bucket.
    Lots of wildlife. The people that live back here are preppers they just don't know it. They keep a lot of supplies on hand because
    it's so far into town. And most of them can drop a deer a 100 yards with a head shot. Or nurse a sick calf back to health with
    home remedies. They are always willing to help BUT<< they are also no one to mess with they can get mean in a hurry if you steal.
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 04-13-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links