Water purification - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Water purification

This is a discussion on Water purification within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Montana Rancher You should check out a berkley water filter, they say here that their filter will remove >95% of nitrates Black ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Water purification

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    You should check out a berkley water filter, they say here that their filter will remove >95% of nitrates

Black Berkey Water Filter - performance specifications

Anyone that doesn't own a berkley is not done prepping.
    We bought the Big Berkey (the one with 4 ceramic filters) about 3 years ago. The one thing I did notice with it is that the first several gallons do have a distinctly chemical flavor to them. The cheap water tester device that I bought from hardware store for $10 says that it is pure water, but the flavor is really bad. It does get better after 5 or 6 gallons. That is something to keep in mind if you buy one for your preps. Just run at least 5 or 6 gallons through it before you need it. Otherwise you are going to be stuck with a bunch of water that tastes really bad at first.

A club I belong to is on a well. One time when I got there real early with my dog, went in the kitchen to fill her water bowl. The water looked like it had soap in it. One of the other members said they just changed the filters so you need to run it awhile. I do not know what filters they use but for bug out purposes, way to big to be lugging around.

I'm guessing you mean that the water had very fine bubbles in it. Like super champagne, might even look white, like milk. If this is a good description, I've seen this very frequently in water systems that sit for a while. It is actually fine air bubbles that suddenly expand because the pressure on the water is released. Same principle as soda or champagne. It really freaks people out. Try letting it sit in a see thru glass and see it the bottom starts getting clearer and works it's way up the water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I remember in the scouts just 10 or so years ago they used to always say you had to both filter and boil. Filters are getting better every day, but I'd still be a little leery of drinking filtered but not boiled water. Both steps are crucial IMO... unless you skip all that and go straight to distillation.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmer14 View Post
    I remember in the scouts just 10 or so years ago they used to always say you had to both filter and boil. Filters are getting better every day, but I'd still be a little leery of drinking filtered but not boiled water. Both steps are crucial IMO... unless you skip all that and go straight to distillation.
    Damn straight. There are very few ways to do both. I think form everything I read that Reverse Osmosis does both, but not absolutely sure. I found a nice hand pump reverse osmosis system for $3K. !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We have made it with both charcoal and ask. Both work, although the lye made with ash is much stronger.

It is really easy to make. We used a bucket and drilled a hole for a spigot near the bottom of one side. Put a layer of straw at the bottom about 2 inches deep. (This acts as a filter.) Put about an inch or so of ash or charcoal on top of the straw and fill the bucket with water. Somewhere between 3 days and up to 2 weeks later you will have a lye solution. It is ready for making soap (why we made it in the first place) when a raw egg will float in the solution with an area about the size of a quarter above the water.

We learned everything we needed here: Making Natural Milk Soap: Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin A-199 (Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin, a-199): Casey Makela: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
    I make soap too and was wondering how to make lye if I can't get it any more. You just solved my problem. I am wondering about tallow though, I only have small animals, I guess saving tallow will take a while? I suppose I should look at candle making too. :/ Thanks for the information!

As for my water, I have the Vortex now, and it says it makes water from urine...they show it on youtube. Highwater Filters. It's total distillation. It will be a pain though. I was also hoping to get a Bison water pump, but, couldn't justify the cost, so we got an Amish well bucket. I only get 3 gallons per day now via my Culligan RO system, so we don't waste our drinking water. For the 3 of us, and our Labrador, it's enough. We don't treat our household water other than to soften it. My nitrates are 22mg/L. The cut off is 10mg/L. I would hazard a guess that most wells in my heavily farmed and CAFO's state have high nitrate levels. If it were under 10, I would just deal with it, but 22 is really high and I have a 3 year old in my home all the time, and if the SHTF, I will have at least 4 toddler and preschoolers if not more, and always potential for an infant. Even with RO, they said some still gets thru. I am not fond of the taste of RO water as compared to clean well water. Clean healthy well water is really good. I miss it.

Why not just use regular iodine? Do the crystals last longer?

Use the common 2% iodine solution; use 3 drops per quart of clear water and 6 drops per quart of cloudy water. Stir and allow to sit for 30 minutes.

You can also use regular 5% chlorine bleach, 8 drops of bleach for every gallon of water, stir and let sit for 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo Moe View Post
    Why not just use regular iodine? Do the crystals last longer?

Use the common 2% iodine solution; use 3 drops per quart of clear water and 6 drops per quart of cloudy water. Stir and allow to sit for 30 minutes.

You can also use regular 5% chlorine bleach, 8 drops of bleach for every gallon of water, stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
    This is for back packing style of bugging out, one small bottle (8 grams of iodine crystals) will treat over 5000 quarts of water. I purchased the prilled style of iodine crystals which is what polar pure used when they were able to sell the complete product. The smallest amount I was able to find was 50 grams (apx $25 including shipping), that equals over 30,000 quarts of drinking water before I have to find another method. How much bleach would you have to carry with you to do the same?

Now I know I'm new to prepping and when ever you start something new you buy things you really didn't need or you find a better solution later on, but I'm not finding any thing that is as light and lasts as long as this, or as cheap. $43 for the Polar Pure bottle and iodine crystals = over 7,500 gallons of drinking water. There are no back packing / camping filter that can touch that. At least not that I have found.

Here is a good 10 minute video that shows iodine crystals in use, watch till the end there is a taste test.

now mind you he used more iodine solution then needed. The directions that come with the Polar Pure says you only need a few cap fulls, this guy used almost the entire bottle.

My son is a nurse practitioner, . . . and has a serious allergy to copper. He has to be very careful, . . . and has done some extensive research on the different units out there.

His recommendation is the Berkey Water Filter information, reviews and best prices. company with their units. One he has is a small hand carried bottle looking contraption with a straw in the top. He said you could just pour it full of any water you could find, . . . should not have any troubles at all.

I'm saving up to get him a big one for the family "prep" area.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Montana Rancher likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links