Don't forget the head lamp
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Don't forget the head lamp within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I gathered up some of my lanterns that are sitting around getting dusty and if I looked around I am sure I have others around. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Don't forget the head lamp

I gathered up some of my lanterns that are sitting around getting dusty and if I looked around I am sure I have others around. I have from the cheaper electric to the more expensive 500 candle power multi-fuel petromax lanterns (center lanterns). I also have spare parts for all. I collected these over the years.

But this is 2013 and they have LED head lamps that can do just about everything you need and run several days on rechargeable batteries (Solar batter chargers are cheap). Does it really do you any good to light up an area that you are not looking at.

It is funny but if you go to almost any SHTF the headlamp gets little press and they will have whole sections on flashlights but it will do just about anything you need light for and leave your hands free unlike a flashlight. Try working on something holding a flashlight. Where I work there are over 350 people in maintenance and they all have headlamps, It used to be that there would always be one person working in an electrical panel and someone else holding a flashlight.

Advantage of LED head lamps
    a. lighting an area directly that you are looking at
    b. can be used as a flashlight
    c. LED's usually have several light setting. (help to conserve batteries).
    d. LED'S bulbs have up to 100,000 hour life
    e. unlike many other lights do not burn out if dropped (Mag Lights were famous for this).
    f. No fire hazard
    g. No dangerous fumes
    h. No need to store part.
    I. No need to use you valuable fuel.

Buy one for every one in the family and have a good collection of rechargeable batteries with a way to charge them. But do a test and turn all the lights off in the house and you may even be surprised how well you can get along with just a headlamp for light.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 04-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.

I guess I never thought about it but it's a damn good idea. I always have flashlights and a couple battery powered lanterns around but I just never thought of the headlamps I guess. Guess I'll need to pick up a few of them. Would be great for hooking up my generator when the power goes out too. Try filling that thing with gas in the dark while holding a flashlight in your hands, guess that's why I had kids.

-Infidel

I was a auto mechanic for over 10 years. I've used so many shop lights, flashlights, helping hands, etc to get lighting in hard to reach areas. With headlamps, there is simply nothing better. I wish I had that when I was still working in shops.

Totally a must have item.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperThyAngus View Post
    I was a auto mechanic for over 10 years. I've used so many shop lights, flashlights, helping hands, etc to get lighting in hard to reach areas. With headlamps, there is simply nothing better. I wish I had that when I was still working in shops.

Totally a must have item.
    Yes I also moved one of my head lamp to the tool box. It is so aggravating to use almost anything else, the light either wants to shine in you eyes or shine everywhere except where its needed.

I have several of the leds that clip to the bill of your hat,I have a few with extra batteries in my stores and a couple in my tackle box,they're the cats meow with nightime catfishing when needing hands free lighting pointed at what you're doing.

I really like mine, it helps for setting up tents in the dark. The only thing I don't like about them is that I have to wear a ballcap with it or it will glare up my glasses.

Some head lamps for camping and hiking have a couple different bulbs that can be turned on and off at different levels for your particular needs. Bulbs that have a very wide beam for reading and working on things close up and also a very powerful bulb for hiking at night, it is quite easy to go out in pitch dark and gather fire wood and bring it back to camp, try doing that with a flashlight or lantern. Even the ones that just clip onto a ball cap will allow you to do almost anything around the house such as cooking and washing the dishes.

I have spent a lot of money on Lanterns of various types but I have to admit that if the SHTF the LED head lamp has made them mostly obsolete. After camping and Backpacking with a good headlamp many times I have to really do some thinking to come up with a scenario where my lanterns would come into play so that I don't feel like I wasted hundreds of dollars.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 04-03-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickkyw1720pf View Post
    Some head lamps for camping and hiking have a couple different bulbs that can be turned on and off at different levels for your particular needs. Bulbs that have a very wide beam for reading and working on things close up and also a very powerful bulb for hiking at night, it is quite easy to go out in pitch dark and gather fire wood and bring it back to camp, try doing that with a flashlight or lantern. Even the ones that just clip onto a ball cap will allow you to do almost anything around the house such as cooking and washing the dishes.

I have spent a lot of money on Lanterns of various types but I have to admit that if the SHTF the LED head lamp has made them mostly obsolete. After camping and Backpacking with a good headlamp many times I have to really do some thinking to come up with a scenario where my lanterns would come into play so that I don't feel like I wasted hundreds of dollars.
    Yup,the glare i'd get off of my ole' coleman lantern was so unbearable that I bought one of those shields for it so the mantles don't shine in your face so bad.But since I bought my first pair of leds several years ago for night fishing,I haven't even gotten my coleman out except to oil the plunger last fall,lol.
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.

Love my LEDs but no intention to get rid of my dual fuel or smaller propane lanterns. There will always be a scenario where you need it.

In a military situation light is not your friend, as simple as smoking a cigarette it gives away your position and makes you vulnerable.

I appreciate having good light in secure situations but beware of bad light in threat situations, unless your locations is backed out I would avoid most of the items listed here.

That may have been anticipated but not illuminated so to speak.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links