Bugging Out or Staying Put?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Bugging Out or Staying Put? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have been struggling with this for quiet some time. So have been planning for both, I tried searching the forums for threads about this ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Bugging Out or Staying Put?

I have been struggling with this for quiet some time. So have been planning for both, I tried searching the forums for threads about this as I am certain it has come up but couldn't find them, sorry.

Which is better to Bug Out or Stay Put?

I have spent my entire adult life learning skills, rather than hoarding equipment, cause equipment can break, can be stolen, can be lost, wear down, be damaged etc. Skills stick with you, and increase if you use them on a daily basis, they are weightless, and when combined with other things like common sense, survival instinct, experience, and etc, well your mind is the most important tool in your kit.

But there is pros and cons to both staying put and staying on the move. I myself am definitely a scavenger, and believe eventually by staying put I risk meeting an overwhelming force which I am unable to defend against. Not only this but having what others want is a big red target on your back. Where if you are extremely resourceful and unlike most have the opportunity as I have to spend a huge chunk of your time learning skills, and getting training through various resources, well you can live off nearly nothing, keep under the radar and be extremely lethal in your resolve to survive.

So you know what my bias is, what is your bias, and why? Not looking to debate against you, merely learn from you and see outside perspectives.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Life is a fluid situation and shtf will certainly not make it change. People will lose stability like nickels in a pocket with holes in it. You'll have to decide just like the rest of us depending on what happens and the homefront is like. If it's chaos here, too dangerous, or environmentally hazardous, the foods run out, the chances of survival are better elsewhere, I'm gone.

I've lived off the land enough to know I am staying put and if it comes to it dying in place. Bugging out to scavenge and live off the land may look or sound romantic, but the reality is it will be a brutal existance.
    IMO everyone will have to contend with other people killing you for your stuff, it doesn't matter is that is a stocked house or a stocked backpack. The advantage of staying put is security, comfort, fellowship with family's members and friends, food, shelter, knowledge of the terrain, edible local plants, neighbors, I could go on for a long time.
    Bugging out with a good setup gives you a small food stock, enough ammo for 2 good fire fights and very little room for error. If you get the flu, sprain an ankle, infected wound or a freak winter ice storm/hurricane/natural disaster that could be all it takes to turn the tide.
    You could offset some of these disadvantages with a couple cashe's to prolong your misery, at a minimum I would do that.
    With all your skills it would be smarter to find a stocked prepper that needs some extra manpower and start a conversation.
    ekim, Verteidiger, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Location, Location , location
    Depends where you are, We are buging in. Away from major cities and even a ways from some smaller ones. Plenty of room ,good shelter we can defend.
    Everything we will need can be gad here.
    The requirement to defend is why we have chosen to prepare as we have, it has been number one on the list.
    If I lived in Milwaukee or Madison I would RUN.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    ekim and Verteidiger like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

At 54 yrs. old, and for several reasons, I have come up with this plan/plans:
    A. Bug in as long as possible, with as much as possible. I have planned for 6 adults so there are hopefully enough people to defend the home.
    B. Even though Plan A is in place, plan B is mobile with (3) 4wd vehicles to bug out with and try to take the basic survival items onboard. But with no real destination other than "the backcountry".
    C. Plan C is in the worst case scenario of, vehicles wont run and home is undefendable or on fire. That would be to bug out on foot with weapons and bug out bags. Same , no real destination.
    I dont know what else I could add to these, other than trying to find a bugout destination. But any other homes would likely be in the same situation as why we left ours, so the backcountry seems like the best destination. Especially since 3 of us know it well. Far enough out to be secure, but close enough to come in and try and scavenge without harming innocent people. I have no problem harming evil people to get what we need, but we will not take advantage of good innocents.
    Last edited by jc-hunter; 03-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.

^^^^ this.

I strongly feel that my current homestead is the bug out location, so I intend to defend it as a last refuge, unless nuclear fall out were involved at which point we would load up in the F350 and GTFO.

I've spent a lifetime hoarding equipment....and practicing skills...lol

True things can be lost or stolen, and I accept that as a chance I take. Prepping is nothing more than taking the necessary steps to give yourself the best shot at surviving a disaster or crisis. Everybody starts in a different place. Urban or rural, own or rent. Apartment or house. Good neighbors bad neighbors...no neighbors. Single or married with or without children. Wealthy middle class or poor. Pro gun or no gun.

That said, If my starting place is in an inner city one room flat next to gangbanger central...I'd be bugging out to a second location ASAP! provided I had a safe or safer place to go to and a safe way to get there. On the other hand, If I was in a stable rural community then what would be the point of bugging out.
    ekim and jc-hunter like this.

I've given this quite a bit of consideration myself. If I "bug out" it's going to happen long before TSHTF or long after. This is for several reasons. #1. Most normal means of getting out of Dodge will be impossible and I'm NOT getting stuck via accidental or intentional roadblock with too many eggs in my basket.
    #2. My BOL is secure for as long as necessary. It will wait for me.
    #3. Everything I need is right here and it's defensible.
    #4. Home is one heck of a lot more comfy.
    #5. I have pets.
    #6. Over time the population will decrease which increases my chances of escape.
    Bottom line is I have both options. I'll hold out here until it is impossible to remain. The trick is invisibility.
    I don't trust a government that doesn't trust me with a gun.

We don't have a personally owned bug out location, but we do have locations that are of significant distance away that we are welcomed at, and are expected, if we had to get the hell out in a hurry. If we had to walk out, we have a few places, but I have minimal confidence in getting everyone moving in stereo, if you will, for a forced march.

I hope that by the end of summer a recently aquired RV will be through the planned renovations and updates that we could head for more remote areas. Lotta work to do before that though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links