Chicken feed blues, here's an idea to save $$$
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Chicken feed blues, here's an idea to save $$$ within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hey all Last fall I changed the way I buy chicken feed. Locally the pellets for layers busted over $16 a bag and I decided ...

Hey all

Last fall I changed the way I buy chicken feed. Locally the pellets for layers busted over $16 a bag and I decided to try mixing my own rations.

So I set up my Country Living Grain Mill in the garage (set it for very coarse grind) and hooked it up to a small motor I salvaged off a old drill press.

Next I went out and purchases 5 galvanized garbage cans and 200 pounds of red wheat, corn, oats, soy, and alfalfa. I lined the cans with heavy garbage bags and filled them with the 5 grains.

Every third day I spend about 20 minutes grinding a fresh ration for the cluckers, 2 parts corn, soy and wheat to 1 part the rest. Since grain loses its nutritional value once it is cracked and as it ages, it makes sense to do my own for max nutritional value.

Each 50lb bag of grain cost me $12 so I'm saving about $4 for every 50 lbs of feed and it is better for them.

I always have clam shells in a different feeder for the calcium. Also I only feed in the winter time as there isn't much good forage here when the snow flies and the coyotes, foxes and occasional wolf come down in the winter and eat all my tasty hens, so I leave them cooped up or else they disappear.

They free range in the summer, saves a lot on feed.

The other upside to this system is i have an additional 1000 lbs of food stored on site in an emergency.

If anyone does the same and has suggestions on the ration, I'd love it.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

My dad's life was chickens. His ranch got to 60,000 of them (layers) and he used to get mighty mad at the "its just chicken feed" comment. Of course he
    bought about 12 tons of the stuff - at a time.

Some cracked corn and free range them if it gets to bad.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ripon View Post
    My dad's life was chickens. His ranch got to 60,000 of them (layers) and he used to get mighty mad at the "its just chicken feed" comment. Of course he
    bought about 12 tons of the stuff - at a time.
    when the kids were growing up we would get 100 meat chickens a year and of course they helped process them. Back in those days we would get milk in 1/2 gallon cardboard containers. If you saved them and put the chicken in them, filled them with water they would freeze very well and line the chest freezer with hundreds of pounds of fresh meat.

Now a days we buy the chemically process antibiotically produced white meat we call chickens, but trust me It isn't as good as before.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    when the kids were growing up we would get 100 meat chickens a year and of course they helped process them. Back in those days we would get milk in 1/2 gallon cardboard containers. If you saved them and put the chicken in them, filled them with water they would freeze very well and line the chest freezer with hundreds of pounds of fresh meat.

Now a days we buy the chemically process antibiotically produced white meat we call chickens, but trust me It isn't as good as before.
    thats how my grandpa would freeze catfish fillets. Keeps them from getting freezer burnt right?

Still lucky enought to buy it here in Mississippi for $11.85 50lbs, no tax!

Sponsored Links