What methods have you actually tried to start a fire?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What methods have you actually tried to start a fire? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I see all these techniques and tricks to start a fire, but to be honest, I have never started a fire other than using matches ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What methods have you actually tried to start a fire?

I see all these techniques and tricks to start a fire, but to be honest, I have never started a fire other than using matches or a lighter.

I want to start trying with some of the methods and every so often come back and revisit the technique. One way other than flint, steel, bow and sticks is to try the fire plow method where you rub two pieces of soft wood together to create a ember.

What methods have you actually tried other than a lighter and match and have you been successful?

Re: What methods have you actually tried to start a fire?

I used magnifying glasses a lot when I was at the camp grounds as a kid. I was always in charge of getting the fire started.
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Re: What methods have you actually tried to start a fire?

x2 on the magnify glass.
    I have tried the bow/stick technique, and got as far as it would only smoke, but never got it started.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

rob

The bow in the stick & bow method is not necessary. I use this one years ago when teaching Pathfinders (it's like scouting with my church). I prefer extremely dry grass, or dry enough if luxuries aren't headed my way. You need to get as many points of contact with the grass in the female carved V. It is all about getting friction which creates heat. I place my hands flat against the stick and push one hand forward and the other one back alternating as quickly as I can. I move my moving hands very slightly side to side until I find where I get the most rough spots then work it till I think I have an amber. If I am very lucky and have the extremely dry grass that works best, I will usually have an amber before I see smoke. Before I start, I obviously have a small amount of tinder and kindling ready to start, as the little grass fire I am starting won't last long. When I see a tiny red spot, (I usually see several) it's time to start huffing. It often takes a couple trys, and sometime much more, but that is what I find to be the best method.

I've used my little magnesium rod and steel with dryer lint.I carry it with me when I'm out hunting...just in case.
    Blademaker and JDE101 like this.

Magnifying glass
    FireSteel
    1 Watt 445nm Laser (light that camp fire from 5 feet away!)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Banned

I have done fuel, matches, (much harder) the tipi stack method, the spark method (that was amazing, I really wowed myself with that one. Felt like I'd just practiced black magic) the chemical method, the magnesium method (ass backward as a football bat) lighters are my most used methods. Tinder and a lighter- gotta love it. But Hank will do bowdrills, as my legs and feet are all f*** up I prefer a fire PLOW made of fresh cut pine. Jack pine is best but just about any will work. You get that fresh sap hot enough it bursts into flame even in the nastiest conditions. I also like pine knots. Tinder, tinder tinder.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Various firestarters, matches and lighters, magnifiers, electronic spark and wire heating from battery sources, chemical reaction, friction techniques with sticks, and nature flints. Some have worked better than others, but all are useable if you've got the materials, time, energy and patience.

magnesium rod and steel with dryer lint and other easy methods..gas, oil, ashhes with kerosene. I need to practice other ways

Hey new preppers, don't get over-obsessed with fires! Always ask yourself "Do i really need one?".
    In all my camping/hiking trips over the years I've never ever bothered to start a fire, and I don't even take a camping stove because can I happily live off cold food and drink.
    So only start one if you've got food types that HAVE to be cooked, or if you need to boil river/lake water to kill germs, or if your clothes are wet and you need to dry them.
    And remember, smoke will reveal your presence to zombs for miles around (as will cooking smells) here's a telephoto shot from my window of somebody's fire a mile away-

dustman1 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links