Best portable water filter
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Best portable water filter within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have an older PUR hiker with an extra cartridge...I've had it for a while now and really like it. It's compact and fits into ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Verteidiger
  • 1 Post By rickkyw1720pf
  • 1 Post By Dunbar

Thread: Best portable water filter

I have an older PUR hiker with an extra cartridge...I've had it for a while now and really like it. It's compact and fits into a bag nicely. I've been thinking about getting another one and see that Pur has been bought out...any suggestions...Is there something newer, better etc. that is still compack and durable?

Katadyn filters are very good.

punch likes this.

I like the Steripen it is the quickest, lightest, and kills the most, bacteria, virus and protozoa.

I have had more problems with seals and clogged filters then I had electrical problems with this UV device.
    punch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

punch likes this.
    MOS 13F

Much Thanks!
    Appreciate the videos...
    I'm setting up another BOB and want to use a system where a mylar bladder/filter/nylon bag stuff sack stows compactly until needed. The stuff sack will serve to keep the kit together and as the outside skin for the mylar bladder when in use....

I bought a Katadyn water filter from Bass Pro a couple weeks ago, so far I'm impressed. Not too expensive (I paid $75), pretty small and compact, and it's easy to use. Has a high enough output for me, if you pump fairly quickly, you'll get a steady stream coming out of it.

I love my msr filter but found out that ceramic filters arent the best in the field...though easily serviced,they break easy and are $$ to replace
    Freedom Fighter
    Guns kill people like pencils make mistakes.

The cartridge in the Pur hiker that I currently have has a an iodine element in the filter and a charcoal after filter in the outflow cap. Works good. Haven't been able to find a replacement for it...The spare I do have for it does not have the iodine element nor is there a packet of replacement charcoal.

I have straight iodine in my small last ditch bad (ten essential+) but thats pretty hardcore...it's for when or if I get seperated from my main bag. Anyway thats another topic...thanks for the replies and stay safe!

I was given the Katadyn pocket model as a xmas present but have not yet had the chance/need to test it out yet, I bought the steripen UV last year. I like it and have had no problems with it thus far through 3 multi-day camping trips (test runs on equipment)

I asked for, and received a Katadyn Hiker Pro for Christmas. I did quite a bit of research and decided that it was the one I wanted for carrying. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but will check it out later in the spring when the weather gets a bit better out. I have a 2 1/2 gallon Big Berkey type water filter system in the kitchen at home that I use for all my drinking water. I do want to get a couple of storage barrels to keep some water stored, as well.

Sponsored Links