What are your favorite foods to store?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What are your favorite foods to store? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am huge on rice. I clean out old 2 liter soda bottles, toss an o2 packet/bay leaf and fill them with about 4lbs of ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What are your favorite foods to store?

I am huge on rice. I clean out old 2 liter soda bottles, toss an o2 packet/bay leaf and fill them with about 4lbs of white rice. I rotate them out about every 2-3 years or so.

I have at least 120 lbs of rice stored this way.

What are your favorite things to store??
    Jeep and BagLady like this.

Lentils are my favorite. Costco use to sale a 6 gallon container for about $45/50 with a shelf life of 25 years
    on them. I have two of them sealed up and at my BOL. The BOL can produce veggies, fruits and nuts, but
    lacks in beans and rice so I've gone "deep" into lentils and rice. Costco still sales the same bucket - about
    44lbs I think - of white rice for $45. I have two of those as well out there.

Freeze dried, rice, sugar, beans and different types of meat..

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I find it silly to see people who have 10+ years worth of food stored. If anything happens, you're going to have to grow food eventually. The only reason to store over say 1 or 2 years worth of food would be prolonged extreme weather (cold or draught) or nuclear fallout. I don't personally see any of those as my primary reason for prepping.
    rickkyw1720pf likes this.

I have a huge garden, so stuff get stored from that. I grow and dry soup beans of several varieties. I grow and store dent corn for flour. I also buy split peas and bean soup mixes, rice, flour, sugar, oil. I grow tomatoes so we have a lot of stored tomato sauce, also more fruit jams than we can ever eat, pickled beets, green beans, sauerkraut, pickle relish, salsa. I usually have canned chicken and tuna as well. I store pasta. We have baskets of squash that we grew. We have chickens so we have our source of eggs and if need be meat. I keep a rooster and have incubated chicks, so we can raise them for meat. Part of this is the way we live, part of it is prepping.

who mentioned eating 10 year old food? I wouldn't eat a 10 year old twinkie and those dang things last for ever.

Canned meats. Tuna, chicken, ham, sardines, smoked oysters, SPAM, chili with no beans, Vienna sausage, and my personal favorite, beef jerky (not in cans, but I make an exception for it).

Rice in ready-to-make boxes. Canned beans (I love navy beans, and my all-time favorite, Ranch Style beans). Canned pears and peaches (yeah, I drink the juice from the cans, I do).

Nuts, of all kinds. Dried fruit, of all kinds. Soups, same thing.
    Jeep likes this.

I only store foods that I eat on a regular basis, that way my system won't go into shock when the SHTF and the stored food becomes a regular diet.

I'll take a 10 year old Scotch Whiskey
    Recon33alpha likes this.
    MOS 13F

Food buckets - they expensive but what can I say I'm lazy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links