Buying a house - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Buying a house

This is a discussion on Buying a house within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Great tips your getting here. I would start out considering only those facing due South Minimal windows on the North and preferably none on the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Buying a house

Great tips your getting here. I would start out considering only those facing due South Minimal windows on the North and preferably none on the West side. Leave room for a green house where a person can grow their own medicinal herbs..rope and tomatoes etc
    A Watchman likes this.

Look for a place that you can strategically place a Pike near the entrance. Studies show that 9 out of 10 roving bands of thugs will bypass a home where a bloody head is firmly placed upon a Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Leave room for a green house where a person can grow their own medicinal herbs..rope and tomatoes etc
    Bigwheel, It seems you prefer the "grow your own" method over buying that good mexcan weed from down south?
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Too chicken to try it..lol.

Water access. Garden space. Access to woods. Not in city.

What I would do is find your top 2 3 or 5, how every many are in contention based on whatever standards you have on what you want in a home, then I would go find a local police officer or a police dispatcher and ask them about the area's each house is located in. They know where the problem spots are in the city and they could save you a big headache and years of dissatisfaction.
    bigwheel likes this.

West Side of the Lower Pennisula of Michigan
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Slippy I'll be sure to put up that pole in short order first as a reminder of your expert guidance and concern for your fellow forum members and also for the aforementioned deterrent effect.

We're still about a year and a bit out so right now the big this is saving as much as we can for a down payment while paying off our student loans as quick as we can. Doing pretty well on that regard if I do say so myself. I'd love to have a south facing driveway as it helps melt snow faster, a basement with a lot of storage/shelter space, the wood burning fire place, my wife actually wants a storage shed in the back yard so that's handy.
    Slippy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

Quote Originally Posted by warrior4 View Post
    My wife and I have been apartment dwellers for most of our adult lives up to this point. However we're currently saving up as much as we can to buy our first house. Tentative plans would be to move in about a year from now. I've told her there are basically three things on my list as far as what I'm looking for; stay in the general area we are now, close to the outskirts of local suburbia, a wood burning fireplace, and a lot of storage space. From a prepping standpoint what are some other things that are useful to look into? Just trying to get more ideas and input.
    Are basement allowed there? if so, looked for one with an unfinished basement...so that you can make it as you like for storage, safe room, etc. Also gutters, for collecting rain water. Look for one that has a southern orientation so that you can get the most out of solar panels on the roof if you want to add them later.

I'd recommend a lot more if I knew the type of area and size of plot etc. But I'd look for a place with good easy access to the older state highways/roads that would get you to a safe zone (BOL or other) in the event of an emergency.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by New guy 101; 06-01-2016 at 05:00 AM.

hag

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Look for a place that you can strategically place a Pike near the entrance. Studies show that 9 out of 10 roving bands of thugs will bypass a home where a bloody head is firmly placed upon a Pike.
    That's some Damn good advice right there! Haha
    Slippy and tuffy_chick_13 like this.
    We don't rent pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Don't move into southern states with warmer climates.
    My plan was to move back closer to home in retirement. Home is Louisiana. I was considering Arkansas, Texas, or Louisiana. Just not too close to the gulf...

Now I'm rethinking that.... : |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links