Every House Every Structure Catches Fire At The Same Moment
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Every House Every Structure Catches Fire At The Same Moment within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Would you care to strech your mind & wargame this out with me? How could you draw up a survival plan for this scenario? Every ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Every House Every Structure Catches Fire At The Same Moment

Would you care to strech your mind & wargame this out with me?

How could you draw up a survival plan for this scenario?

Every house, every structure catches fire...POOF!

Impossible you say?

Read about the carrington event in 1859.

The ONLY structures that had a cable leading into them in 1859 were telegraph offices. And the ONLY piece of equipment that cable was connected to was the single telegraph machine.

Showers of sparks flew from those telegraph machines, shocking people & starting fires.

Today almost every structure has 3 cables running into it (power, phone, cable TV)...and think of all the devices they are connected to. Light switches & fixtures, electrical outlets, phones, TVs, computers, stereos, lamps, glade-plug-ins, etc., etc.

Even if only 10% of all structures caught fire, the fire dept. couldn't handle it & the entire block/neighborhood would go up in flames.

What would you try to save? And how?

Where would you go to breathe?

Is anybody up for this challenge? :D
    sideKahr and budgetprepp-n like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

nope not really, and if everything catches fire I would save my family.
    oops

How would you do that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Ok, do keep in mind electricity was very new back in those days and often ran on DC power rather than AC

So let us assume that every home in america has a grounded AC system.

Will an EMP affect the electrical power, yes

Will it fry all the electronics in your house, yes

Will it start your home on fire, no. The typical grounding will prevent that.
    Ikean, Slippy, Viking and 2 others like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

If a significant percentage of structures in an urban area burned, then a firestorm would become possible. In that case ALL the structures would burn. Who knows what percentage of structures it takes to ignite a firestorm, but your scenario is extremely interesting. It's one I've never come across before. Great thinking, Ronald!

For those who don't know what a firestorm is, you can read about the firestorms caused by Allied bombing in WW2. They are tornadoes of fire as wide as a city. Temperatures hot enough to melt metal. Winds feeding the vortex over a hundred miles an hour. Even people in deep shelters died.
    Ronaldinyo and Michael_Js like this.

Montana, you are only addressing the electric cable...the cable TV/internet cable isn't grounded. Nor does it have a breaker box.

Everything I've ever read on the Carrington Event of 1859 mentioned some of the wooden poles of the long lines (telegraph) catching fire. There was an electrocution of an operator. BUT nothing was ever mentioned about the wholesale inferno of buildings with telegraph cable running into them. The long lines (the grid of high lines) would receive induced aural eddy currents that would generate huge amounts of current that could and would destroy destroy the huge and large transformers that reduce the high line voltage to voltages that are distributing the power to our communities and our homes. These transformers would then be destroyed. But the destruction of these transformers would limit the local damage. Here's a real good article.

https://www.lloyds.com/~/media/lloyd...ric%20grid.pdf
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Destroying transormers...again, only electric cables are being addressed here.

There are no transformers on cable TV/internet cables running into every structure.

I've never heard the argument that a single insulated 16 gauge wire will not only burn through its insulation but also start a fire at exactly the point where it enters your house?

I would argue if the current is strong enough that 16 gauge wire will melt somewhere along the line and pose not threat to a structure..

If you live in a city the odds are a spark may occur and start a firestorm, as I don't live in a city....
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Um... If every structure all caught fire at the same time I guess I would pat myself on the back for having enough foresight to put back some graham crackers, Hershey bars and marshmallows.

I guess a similar scenario might be to think about what you would do if all of a sudden the laws of physics changed and friction stopped working. All at once, nails and screws would become useless and everything would fall apart. You couldn't even get in your truck and drive away because your tires rely on friction to gain traction. Yep, we are kind of slaves to the laws of physics.

So how does any of this mental masturbation help anyone to prepare for an event that might really occur?
    paraquack, Slippy and spork like this.
    "Oh good lord it's the stink bug again. Did you see new faces and drop by like a fag at a birthday party to stink up the place with your phony dihmi hogwash"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links