55 Gallon water storage questions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on 55 Gallon water storage questions within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I picked up a couple of blue 55 Gallon water storage barrels recently at a garage sale. I've read online that it is not advisable ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Targetshooter
  • 1 Post By budgetprepp-n

Thread: 55 Gallon water storage questions

I picked up a couple of blue 55 Gallon water storage barrels recently at a garage sale. I've read online that it is not advisable to use these barrels for drinking water if you don't know their history as the plastic could contain a lot of containments rending the water unsuitable for drinking. As such, I have cleaned out these barrels and sterilized them with bleach and have now filled them up. My plan is to use them for sanitation purposes in the event our water goes down (I have also purchased 2 new 55 Gallon barrels I'll use for drinking).

My question: I'm storing these used 55 water storage barrels in my garage and have put them on 2x4's so they're not resting on the concrete directly (I've read in many places that by resting on the concrete directly, they can pick up more containments ... not sure if this is true, but better safe than sorry). Being stored in the garage, they're basically in the dark all the time since we don't leave the garage door open. I filled them up with tap water which has chlorine already, but I'm trying to figure out do I need to add more water chlorine to the water to prevent bacteria growth? They're both sealed off. During the summer, the garage can become an oven (easily 120F+ if not hotter) so I'm not sure what I can do prevent bacterial growth long term in these barrels. I'm willing to rotate the water out annually, but was wondering if anyone in the community as any advice on what I should be doing to extend the water life on these barrels. In a worse case scenario, I'd be open to drinking the water in these barrels after filtering the water of course. Should I be adding additional chlorine? From my understanding, chlorine begins to degrade over time and with increased temperature, the chlorine will break down even faster.
    Last edited by ciprep; 06-12-2016 at 05:04 PM.

good post ,, but we would like a wee bit more info on you so we can help you out more ,, tell us about how far along in prepping you are,, and are you prepping for a single person or a family ,, tribe ,, ect. 5 basic things for prepping ,, water,, food ,, medical ,, shelter ,, protection ,, so there is your start ,, read the past threads and you will see everything you need to know ,, oh buy the way ,,, welcome to PF from NC .
    GTGallop likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

This whole video addresses your questions...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sounds to me like your off to a good start as far as water goes. As stated above by targetshooter there are threads here that will help you further along.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Targetshooter View Post
    good post ,, but we would like a wee bit more info on you so we can help you out more ,, tell us about how far along in prepping you are,, and are you prepping for a single person or a family ,, tribe ,, ect. 5 basic things for prepping ,, water,, food ,, medical ,, shelter ,, protection ,, so there is your start ,, read the past threads and you will see everything you need to know ,, oh buy the way ,,, welcome to PF from NC .
    Thanks for the welcome.

>> read the past threads and you will see everything you need to know

Should I move over to a different thread specific to water? At this point I've been laying a foundation for many of the items you're asking about above but just trying to figure out the specifics of water storage in a garage and the things I need to consider. Thanks again for the help!

I thought a few drops of bleach for each gallon was all that was needed for a 1 year storage.,, Am I wrong about this?

If you have a questions about any other prepping just ask. Most people on here are really helpful. ( except me

And if you don't have anything nice to say about anyone only negative stuff, Then come sit next me, Lets talk.

Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 05-03-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    A Watchman likes this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Welcome to the group from Southern Arizona.
    Land of Sun, Surf, and Sand, lots and lots of sand.
    Ok, I lied, no surf, unless you count the flash floods
    in the washes, but enough sand to fill all the sand bags I’ll ever need!
    Grab a stump and sit a spell. I’ll get you a virtual beer.
    So like you, lack of water is a dire reality. I have a 260 gallon tank (blue)
    in my garage same as you. From what I could find in articles about preserving
    water, I added nearly 1 oz of 6% chlorine bleach to the water. I sniff check
    the water every 3 months and even at 9 months, I could easily smell the chlorine.
    This year in June I will add another oz of bleach. At two years I will use the water
    for plants after letting it off gas the chlorine. For drinking I will filter it and probably
    do the usual bleach treatment.

(1 year anniversary of the water) I will again ad the bleach.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

in regard to storing directly on the concrete - new concrete will shed chemicals for awhile - but won't contaminate your water barrel .... but the main reason not to store directly on concrete is black mold growth - there's a small hollow spot under the barrel that will be both dark & moist - perfect area for mold ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

What happened to page 2 of this thread?
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Sponsored Links